Battery swelling very slightly

Search This thread

samehhesham4

Dec 30, 2011
Yesterday my phone randomly rebooted so i took out the battery and it has a slight bulge (baerly noticable). It lasts for a decent amount of time on a single charge and the phone doesn't heat up. Is it safe to keep this battery or should i buy another one?
P.S samsung wont replace it for free because i bought the phone from another country

Painman1963

Mar 14, 2012
Bristol
If the serial number of the battery starts with BD then it is most likely from the batch that were faulty from manufacture. If that is the case I would replace it asap as there have been cases of it putting pressure on the screen

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

samehhesham4

Dec 30, 2011
The bulge isn't that big to cause pressure but i've heard it might explode while charging which would be far more dangerous than pressure...

Shug69

Jun 18, 2012
Buy a new one. This will get worse and before you know it your phone will ne rebooting 20 times a day.

samehhesham4

Dec 30, 2011
Buy a new one. This will get worse and before you know it your phone will ne rebooting 20 times a day.

So, should i check the serial of the new battery and avoid the ones starting with BD?
EDIT: I checked the phones of 2 of my friends. one of them had a battery starting YS and it was flat and fine. The other one starts with BD like mine and as expected, it's swelling

Last edited:

mrQQ

Sep 17, 2011
Don't buy anything, take it to service and they'll replace it for free.

samehhesham4

Dec 30, 2011
Don't buy anything, take it to service and they'll replace it for free.

I already mentioned that i called the service center and they wont replace it because the phone was bought from Saudi Arabia (I live in Egypt).
Anyways, I bought a new one. The S/N starts with AA and battery life is a tad better than before. Now the question is, Can I still use the old battery when needed? like when i'm on a trip or something and need some extra power. The bulge is very small and it's lasts almost as long as a normal battery.

kuljit55

Feb 11, 2008
I wont risk it mate, i got mine replaced by sammy asap. Just buy a spare battery for trips.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium