Simplest way to remove unwanted system apps?

Search This thread

Tiznom

Sep 3, 2009
Jersey
I want to keep the stock HTC factory ROM on the phone now. I want to remove some of the system apps that come preinstalled, that's all. Facebook, for example. What's the simplest way to do this?

Also, I want the OTA update to 2.2 when it comes, and I don't care if I lose root, so long as I can cherry-pick what programs are on my phone.

And I want a pony, too.

Seriously, isn't there an easy method to just kill a few apps that is noob-friendly?

adelaney

Dec 7, 2009
Olympia, WA
Download estrongs file explorer, go into settings/root options/Select hiapk or cyanogenmod (whichever works, you will also be prompted to grant su permissions)/then mount.

Now you navigate to system/app and delete at will.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Tiznom

Sep 3, 2009
Jersey
Download estrongs file explorer, go into settings/root options/Select hiapk or cyanogenmod (whichever works, you will also be prompted to grant su permissions)/then mount.

Didn't work. Looks like root is required, plus a custom ROM flashed. Far too many steps to simply delete a preloaded system app. I'm running the stock HTC ROM. I suppose I can run Unrevoked3 to get root, but I have no interest in a custom ROM. I simply want the stock ROM with fewer apps. Thanks anyways...

EDV11

Aug 3, 2007

Now you navigate to system/app and delete at will.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

That doesn't work on the stock ROM

I would also like to remove some apps. I want to keep the stock ROM for now (tried some 2.2 and did not like them... I'll just wait for OTA) and I'm root. What are the posibilities?

pascanu

Jan 22, 2009
Tg. Mures
Unrevoked only gives you root, you don't have to install a custom ROM. You could just root, keep the stock ROM and just delete whatever you want. Don't see much point in that though. I also hate FB, stock and all the rest but as long as you don't use them / sign in they don't do anything and the free space you gain will be useless.

mortenmhp

Jul 23, 2008
Hedensted
Simply there is no way to remove system apps without root..

With root you can only do it in recovery by issuing adb commands or by simply deleting .apk files from a custom rom before you flash it.

edit: and i agree with pascanu no need, and you might just screw something up

Tiznom

Sep 3, 2009
Jersey
So basically I have to get root access using something like Unrevoked3, then type in some commands (adb) in my computer, with the phone hooked up via USB, and delete the apps that way?

I can refer to one of the threads explaining how to use ADB, but a quick search tells me that I need to download & install the SDK to use it. Already we are getting way too complicated. Each solution I see involves downloading large files and installing software.

If this is the only way currently, than I can accept that. I have rooted phones and flashed ROMs before, and I am confident I could figure it out again if needed. I just don't want to bother now. I like the stock ROM from HTC on my Desire. All I want is control over exactly which apps live on my phone, just like I control which programs are on my PC. Imagine if you couldn't remove some toolbar or AOL from a new PC when you bought it? Scary, huh? That's where a lot of us are now.

Until it's easy and quick, I and the majority of users just won't bother. I'm still hoping it's possible, and if anyone can explain how to do it then please do.

mortenmhp

Jul 23, 2008
Hedensted
Yes as i wrote there is no need for that, if you are going to root it should be because you want some of all the good stuff it comes with (wireless tether, a2sd, froyo, decent backup, custom theming etc.) :)

It is quite easy though.