[03/29/2008] PocketCM Keyboard 0.14 - "Free at last"

Search This thread

ha22y

Aug 8, 2007
This seems to be a common problem with this keyboard. I've been trying to use it since v0.3b. It require a series of installs and resets and uninstalls and resets and reinstalls and resets. When you do get it to install, you wonder what you did wrong this time. I've not got v0.7 to work either.

Still, it is one of the best keyboards I've used so far, so I'm hoping someone will sort out the installation problems for us. So far folk are focused on customising it's output and improving its performance, which is fair enough. Once that is done, I do hope Tene will find a foolproof installation method for us. I will be donating or getting a commercial version of it. At the moment, I'm trying tengofree and after using PocketCM, not too impressed with it.

BTW, there is also a solution here, which involves a process of crossing your fingers on the device, I think! :)
http://pocketcm.com/phorum/read.php?19,1074

I always uninstall the previous version, restart then I install the new version. It works for me everytime. Make sure you do not activate any SIP when you install the new one.

DJ_Nitro

May 13, 2007
NEW YORK
Great SIP, a must have definitely.

One thing that I notice was, when you tap on the 123#? button when in uppercase the layout changes to lowercase instead of going to numbers and symbols.

I've changed a couple of things in the layout, added a \, ñ, Ñ, but for an unknown reason the first line moved a little, here's a screenshot:

pccapture1by2.jpg

Not a problem, but I just wanted to let you know.

On thing that would make a big difference would be the option to turn on/off autocorrection from the kb itselft, without having to go to options, a button can be placed in the cut, copy, paste part, IMO.

The autocorrection is great, but makes it difficult to enter an email address or enter folder/file paths, right know I have it off, but having the option to turn it on/off easily would be a big plus.

I don't know, just a suggestion.

Keep it up buddy, your apps rock!

Last edited:

CWKJ

Jul 9, 2006
Singapore
Your shift happens on layout 3.

My shifted only on the last line of layout 2 (when "shift" key is activated).

raymonds

Jul 24, 2006
It's a registry hack or something else? because I could probably add it to the uninstall.

tene, that's a great idea! here's what i found out...

Guys, don't try this unless you're absolutely sure of what you're doing. I got this from here: http://www.ppcsg.com/index.php?showtopic=45727

and to quote the WARNING from the moderator there:

- It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO BACKUP your ppc beforehand, bcos any single mistake u enter into your registry for your input method is likely to cause ALL your input methods to be unrecognised = have to hard-reset.
- I insist u check your values SEVERAL TIMES to check if its correct, before u tap 'ok' and soft-reset your device (mistakes irreversible after that except hard-resetting).

================================

to make pocketcm keyboard the default SIP
i) Open your registry editor (e.g. PHM, Resco, etc).
ii) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip
iii) Change DefaultIm's string value to {BB25F2EB-688C-4698-ADFC-F422A148AD4F}
iv) Soft-reset

to make 'Keyboard' (the original one) the default SIP:
i) Open your registry editor (e.g. PHM, Resco, etc).
ii) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip
iii) Change DefaultIm's string value to {42429667-ae04-11d0-a4f8-00aa00a749b9}
iv) Soft-reset

Last edited:

mr_yellow

May 2, 2006
Hey Tene,

I apologize if this has been discussed previously, but do you have any plans to introduce fully adjustable key sizes?

ie. some rows are higher than others, (keyboard row is a little bigger in height than all the other rows making space bar easier to hit), or some rows have wider keys than others (stretching 6 keys on a row to make them bigger instead of having them clustered and centered leaving white space on the sides.)

Just a few ideas, congrats again!

tene

Jun 21, 2007
Brussels
Hey Tene,

I apologize if this has been discussed previously, but do you have any plans to introduce fully adjustable key sizes?

ie. some rows are higher than others, (keyboard row is a little bigger in height than all the other rows making space bar easier to hit), or some rows have wider keys than others (stretching 6 keys on a row to make them bigger instead of having them clustered and centered leaving white space on the sides.)

Just a few ideas, congrats again!

It hasn't been discussed, but I don't see how it would really works better. If you have some mockup to show, then it can become a feature, but for now, nobody even tried to make real custom layout, nobody changed the row height, or made really different skin. So I'm not thinking about that, and I focus more on enhancing completion, suggestion and reactivity.

2manyphones

Jul 13, 2007
My 2nd attempt at an iPhone like skin

My goals:
1. Largest keysize possible in a QVGA portrait layout. Some people may not like how much screen it takes up, but this works for me.
2. Similar look to the iPhone keys - there are some things I miss from my iPhone!
3. Addition of a comma and period on the main screen - without holding down the 123 button.
4. Staggered letter keys. I find this promotes less mistakes.
5. Addition of a \ key on the symbol keyboard.
6. Addition of www and .com keys on the sympol keyboard (thanks to "Zard" for posting how to add specific keys and map images to them!!!!)
7. Have 123 at the top of the keypad.

Make sure you select both the layout file and the skin. This is only English, but people should be able to use this layout file as a base and copy the keyboard settings of your choice. There are also fonts to put in the \windows folder, if you like the "trebuc" font seen in the screen shots.

The skin could still use some graphical tweaking, as I don't use any advanced desktop publishing program for the edditing and am not a graphic designer.

Hope this works for some of you, or helps someone create something to their liking. Enjoy!

mr_yellow

May 2, 2006
It hasn't been discussed, but I don't see how it would really works better. If you have some mockup to show, then it can become a feature, but for now, nobody even tried to make real custom layout, nobody changed the row height, or made really different skin. So I'm not thinking about that, and I focus more on enhancing completion, suggestion and reactivity.

Unfortunately, I don't have any mockups.. I know the whole idea of this isn't to copy the iphone keyboard exactly, but if you look at the symbol/number keyboard layout for the iphone keyboard, certain puncutation keys are larger (wider) than other keys.

I found a screenshot which I've attached.

I think having the configurability to widen/heighten certain rows would be good for usability. but that's just my 2c. I love the keyboard the way it is right now too... The more complicated it gets, the harder it is to use...

I understand you want to focus on other features. I'll leave this topic alone for now.

Attachments

• iphone-review-numpad.jpg
    iphone-review-numpad.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 183

LlamaV3

Dec 31, 2006
My goals:
1. Largest keysize possible in a QVGA portrait layout. Some people may not like how much screen it takes up, but this works for me.
2. Similar look to the iPhone keys - there are some things I miss from my iPhone!
3. Addition of a comma and period on the main screen - without holding down the 123 button.
4. Staggered letter keys. I find this promotes less mistakes.
5. Addition of a \ key on the symbol keyboard.
6. Addition of www and .com keys on the sympol keyboard (thanks to "Zard" for posting how to add specific keys and map images to them!!!!)
7. Have 123 at the top of the keypad.

Make sure you select both the layout file and the skin. This is only English, but people should be able to use this layout file as a base and copy the keyboard settings of your choice. There are also fonts to put in the \windows folder, if you like the "trebuc" font seen in the screen shots.

The skin could still use some graphical tweaking, as I don't use any advanced desktop publishing program for the edditing and am not a graphic designer.

Hope this works for some of you, or helps someone create something to their liking. Enjoy!

lol, I spy my "www" key skin, hehe.

This looks like a really good skin, I was just thinking about how to make the keys bigger. I can see me customising this to my own requirements if you don't mind?

2manyphones

Jul 13, 2007
lol, I spy my "www" key skin, hehe.

This looks like a really good skin, I was just thinking about how to make the keys bigger. I can see me customising this to my own requirements if you don't mind?

Sorry LlamaV3, I must have looked at a reply to your post from "Zard". Yes, I did use your www key. Feel free to use any of this skin.

zard

Jul 19, 2005
This seems to be a common problem with this keyboard. I've been trying to use it since v0.3b. It require a series of installs and resets and uninstalls and resets and reinstalls and resets. When you do get it to install, you wonder what you did wrong this time. I've not got v0.7 to work either.

Still, it is one of the best keyboards I've used so far, so I'm hoping someone will sort out the installation problems for us. So far folk are focused on customising it's output and improving its performance, which is fair enough. Once that is done, I do hope Tene will find a foolproof installation method for us. I will be donating or getting a commercial version of it. At the moment, I'm trying tengofree and after using PocketCM, not too impressed with it.

BTW, there is also a solution here, which involves a process of crossing your fingers on the device, I think! :)
http://pocketcm.com/phorum/read.php?19,1074

Using a BA with xplode kitchen 2 rom. I don't face problem with installation or uninstallation. Only issue I face is when I create my own keyboard layout and set it to default, and when I do a soft reset, it will not be the default layout.

The other point is, if you had selected this SIP to be default and wants to uninstall it, set your default SIP to either the WM5 default keyboard or some others, before you uninstall. I think this step applies to all SIPs, I think.

zard

Jul 19, 2005
Alright, I know now what you guys have been referring to about symbol layout.

I created a new layout, called it keyboard_layout_4. Put in keys like SMS, .com, www., frequently used words like my name, etc. Format as pointed out by tene:

[1.com] -> .com
[1www.] -> www.

Kept the numbers, + - / * = signs.

In layout 1 and 2, I included a /4 to activate layout 4. So now when I'm in layout 1 or 2, if I need to type in those words, I click on /4 button twice and bingo, the words are there for me.

This is really fun. Great keyboard app tene!

I also modified layout 1 and 2 to include , . into them. For layout 3, I added many other signs that are missing, like # % /. I also shifted the backspace key for all the 3 layout to be at the same location, on last layer, just before the Enter key.

Thank you tene.

I will be doing a donation to you soon. Fantastic work!

tene,

Donation done. Confirmation Number is 2GH36955D60662318.

Keep up the good work! Thanks.

ha22y

Aug 8, 2007
For the first time I ever donate to an open-source app.

Receipt Number: 0736-5947-0441-6331.

Tene, thanks for the great keyboard that make my touch perfect :)