Kindle Fire reviews are out

Search This thread

DangKid

Jun 22, 2011
The Verge: 7.5/10

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/14/2560084/kindle-fire-review

If you're thinking about getting the Fire, you have to decide not just whether you want a tablet, but what kind of tablet you want. This isn't an iPad-killer. It has the potential to do lots of things, but there are many things I have yet to see it do, and I wonder if it will get there given the lean software support. It's my impression that Amazon believes that the Fire will be so popular that developers will choose to work on its platform rather than on Google's main trunk of Android, but that's just a theory right now.

Still, there's no question that the Fire is a really terrific tablet for its price. The amount of content you have access to — and the ease of getting to that content — is notable to say the least. The device is decently designed, and the software — while lacking some polish — is still excellent compared to pretty much anything in this range (and that includes the Nook Color). It's a well thought out tablet that can only get better as the company refines the software. It's not perfect, but it's a great start, and at $200, that may be all Amazon needs this holiday shopping season.

Engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/14/amazon-kindle-fire-review/

The Kindle Fire is quite an achievement at $200. It's a perfectly usable tablet that feels good in the hand and has a respectably good looking display up front. Yes, power users will find themselves a little frustrated with what they can and can't do on the thing without access to the Android Market but, in these carefree days of cloud-based apps ruling the world, increasingly all you need is a good browser. That the Fire has.

When stacked up against other popular tablets, the Fire can't compete. Its performance is a occasionally sluggish, its interface often clunky, its storage too slight, its functionality a bit restricted and its 7-inch screen too limiting if you were hoping to convert all your paper magazine subscriptions into the digital ones. Other, bigger tablets do it better -- usually at two or three times the cost.

Kindle Fire unveiled
Is a 10-inch Kindle Fire coming? Amazon says 'stay tuned'
Amazon focusing on 'lifetime' Kindle revenue, anticipating record device sales for Q4
So, the Kindle Fire is great value and perhaps the best, tightest integration of digital content acquisition into a mobile device that we've yet seen. Instead of having a standalone shopping app the entire tablet is a store -- a 7-inch window sold at a cut-rate price through which users can look onto a sea of premium content. It isn't a perfect experience, but if nothing else it's a promising look into the future of retail commerce.

Gizmondo: 4/5

http://gizmodo.com/5858779/kindle-fire-review-the-ipad-finally-has-serious-competition

If you like what Amazon Prime has going on in the kitchen, the Fire is a terrific seat. It's not as powerful or capable as an iPad, but it's also a sliver of the price—and that $200 will let you jack into the Prime catalog (and the rest of your media collection) easily and comfortably. Simply, the Fire is a wonderful IRL compliment to Amazon's digital abundance. It's a terrific, compact little friend, and—is this even saying anything?—the best Android tablet to date.

po96od

Jun 21, 2011
Bummer that all these lackluster reviews are all coming out one day too late for me to cancel my preorder. C'est la vie! Lesson learned. On the positive side, the flood of returns Amazon is likely to see may lead to an even cheaper refurbished option much sooner than expected.

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
The Engadget review, when read in its entirety (and not just the feel-good wrap-up), is more of a "meh" tablet whose sole saving grace is that it's cheap.

fishfuzz

Nov 18, 2006
Wired also had a review, it was meh as well.

Personally, I found The Verge to be the most unbiased of the bunch.

EABonney

Aug 14, 2010
Cincinnati
www.ericbonney.com
I feel people are expecting to much from this device. For what it is I am hoping it will be a good device. First and foremost it is a Kindle NOT a tablet. Look at their page for the Kindle Fire. I did a search for tablet and the first mention of tablet was in the user comments, nothing at all from what Amazon has called it. Yes it uses Android but I think Amazon knows that this devices in NOT a tablet, it is a Kindle device that can do other activities such as stream music, watch videos and such.

Comparing this to full blown tablets I think is a bit much but it is what everyone is going to do because it runs Android so in must be a tablet.

For me I purchased this device because I wanted something a little larger than my Evo for reading books such. I didn't want to spend $400-500 for an eReader and the fact that I can also stream music and videos as well will be great I hope. I don't need something with all the bells and whistles and I expect that the vast majority of the public will use the device for what it was designed to do. Read books, magazines, watch some videos and listen to music. The people that are "power" users are less than 1% of the people that are going to buy this device is my guess.

For those power users I am sure someone will root this device soon enough and then you will be able to run probably whatever flavor of Android you want on it. I will reserve my "judgement" on this device until Wednesday when I get mine and have a chance to actually mess around with it. Worse case scenario is that I don't like it and I return it and maybe get something different, but at $200 if I can read books on it well enough, (better than on my Evo) then I will be happy and everything else is icing on the cake for me. :)

-Eric

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
>I feel people are expecting to much from this device.

The Engadget review mentions functions the KF has but didn't do well, eg the bad video streaming, the klunky navigation for comic (no pinch-zoom) and text reading, the fiddly home interface, the laggy sideloaded apps, the paltry storage, etc. These are all judging the KF on its own merit, not against a higher-end tablet.

silentheero

Dec 8, 2010
>I feel people are expecting to much from this device.

The Engadget review mentions functions the KF has but didn't do well, eg the bad video streaming, the klunky navigation for comic (no pinch-zoom) and text reading, the fiddly home interface, the laggy sideloaded apps, the paltry storage, etc. These are all judging the KF on its own merit, not against a higher-end tablet.

It will have those bugs ironed out before the years out I bet.

Even with that said, all the reviews claim that it is not an iPad killer, which shouldn't need to be said. It never claimed to be, and at less than half the price of the iPad, it should be a decent tablet for those who can't pay the fee to be in Apple's walled garden. Whether it is a fire or the Nook Tablet, the first thing I am doing to it is finding a vanilla rom to flash. :D I am buying for the hardware, not the skin.

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
>Even with that said, all the reviews claim that it is not an iPad killer, which shouldn't need to be said. It never claimed to be

That's more in response to the many pundits' predictions that the KF will be indeed that (sales-wise, at least). I think that if the KF had performed well within its limited feature set, then that may've been a reasonable assumption.

>and at less than half the price of the iPad, it should be a decent tablet for those who can't pay the fee to be in Apple's walled garden.

It's a wash. For the lower entry price, the KF is Amazon's (considerably smaller) walled garden. Most people won't root or use custom ROM.

>Whether it is a fire or the Nook Tablet, the first thing I am doing to it is finding a vanilla rom to flash. I am buying for the hardware, not the skin.

What surprised me are all the reports of laggy operations. For an OMAP 4430 running 2.3! It tells me that the Amazon custom layer is major bloatware. I do expect both the KF and NT to get CM9 support when that happens. But with custom ROM, many of the KF amenities will likely disappear, eg Amazon cloud access.

BTW, looks like ICS src is now available.

http://groups.google.com/group/android-building/browse_thread/thread/4f85d9242667a85f?pli=1

dtugg

Jun 11, 2010
I feel people are expecting to much from this device. For what it is I am hoping it will be a good device. First and foremost it is a Kindle NOT a tablet. Look at their page for the Kindle Fire. I did a search for tablet and the first mention of tablet was in the user comments, nothing at all from what Amazon has called it. Yes it uses Android but I think Amazon knows that this devices in NOT a tablet, it is a Kindle device that can do other activities such as stream music, watch videos and such.

Comparing this to full blown tablets I think is a bit much but it is what everyone is going to do because it runs Android so in must be a tablet.

For me I purchased this device because I wanted something a little larger than my Evo for reading books such. I didn't want to spend $400-500 for an eReader and the fact that I can also stream music and videos as well will be great I hope. I don't need something with all the bells and whistles and I expect that the vast majority of the public will use the device for what it was designed to do. Read books, magazines, watch some videos and listen to music. The people that are "power" users are less than 1% of the people that are going to buy this device is my guess.

For those power users I am sure someone will root this device soon enough and then you will be able to run probably whatever flavor of Android you want on it. I will reserve my "judgement" on this device until Wednesday when I get mine and have a chance to actually mess around with it. Worse case scenario is that I don't like it and I return it and maybe get something different, but at $200 if I can read books on it well enough, (better than on my Evo) then I will be happy and everything else is icing on the cake for me. :)

-Eric

Kindle Fire: #1 selling TABLET on Amazon.com