[SD Root] Make 16 or 8GB Nook Tablet Root SD Cards by Albert Wertz [SDNT16or8gbV4.7]

Search This thread

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
I have successfully rooted 2 Nook tablets, both from 1.4.0, the first using Indirect's script with Zergrush and the second with Albert's SD card method. Both methods worked at 1st attempt and took no more than 10-15 minutes each. Kudos to all the people who contributed their skills.

Both tablets have OTA blocked with version # 9.9.9. B&N now is offering to repartion the 16 GB tablets after 3/12/12 but only in store. Is there a way to repartition without going back to stock unrooted status? The tablets are working great, but I would like the option of increasing space available without having to repeat and possibly mess up the root process!

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22157605&postcount=25

Reactions: whale2 and apsingh

apsingh

Aug 28, 2009
Repartitioning rooted NT

Thank you for your response. I reviewed the suggested post. It appears a little too complicated for me to undertake. I will probably leave the tablets as is until an easier method becomes available.

By the way I clicked on the links in your signature. Thanks for a most comprehensive collection of NT FAQs. I will be spending some time browsing and educating myself.

Last edited:
Woot

Thanks to the OP, I am now fully rooted.

However my software version says 1.4.2.

That's not right, is it?

I went over the steps again ensuring I followed them correctly. I also watched your video as mentioned here: 9. Follow Video for Root Calibration with Apps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQfOswBrXIg

Here is what I did:
op said:
Instructions: Download File SD_ROOT_NT16gbV4_6
MD5 Sums: bfd2c4167f4811e6d986a9ca04d48b54 (62mb file, check MD5 sums!)

Video Walk-through for windows users on how to make SDNTV4.5: Same video instructions for 4.6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCET91ElYmc

1. Connect Nook Tablet with auto mount turned on (if you have never rooted before it should already be on) and SD card in it to your computer.
2. Run Win32diskimager.exe file
3. Select “NT16gbV4_6 image file” and select drive for SD card on Nook (or SD card Reader) ***NOT INTERNAL SD CARD ON NOOK ***DON’T SELECT MY NOOK!!!!
4. Click Write
5. Disconnect Nook. Your card is made. Remove card.
Ok that part was easy

op said:
1. Put in Root SD Card
2. Turn Unrooted Tablet OFF
3. Hold power and N button until black N flashes on and off, let go.
4. Turn on and boot into CWM by just pressing the power button.
5. If does not Boot into CWM, Turn off and repeat step 4 and use usb cable attached to PC to turn on (quality control issue with BN?)
6. Install Zip from SD card, Root_Zip_NTV4_6
7. Press power button to go back
8. Reboot using CWM settings
9. Follow Video for Root Calibration with Apps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQfOswBrXIg
10. Sideload all you want (See folder for select games and other stuff)
11. Donate, Click THANKS! Please post your experiences with this product as a quick reply to this thread so others can see your experience.

Done and done. Boots fine. ADW Launcher comes up. I have installed a few apps.

I did NOT created a V4.5 SD Card. All I did was use your 62MB SD .IMG and flash it over. I was under the assumption that would give me root, and it did. But I do not have the recovery tool you mentioned in your video(Nook tablet recovery flasher).

So I guess I am rooted. I was able to install a few of my own APK's, Google Market and Amazon App store work flawlessly. You mention in the first post that Nook Tablet recovery and Nook Unrooter are included, yet I cannot locate them.

Do I have to go back and create a V4.5 SD card as well? The instructions gave me the impression that all I needed was the 62MB file. Anyway thanks for all the good work you and others like you do for the tablet community!

Last edited:

albertwertz

Dec 8, 2011
Wolfforth, TX
if you follow the video, you will see that you have to sideload those files. your version number will be 9.9.9 if you do the ota block. If you want to stay on 1.4.2 then do so, but I would recommend reverting back to 1.4.0 stock with root from my recovery rom. More features work. If you dont want stock, then flash cm7 and enjoy a fully unlocked android tablet with full settings and full android market. Many of these answers are in the videos, thats why I make them.

Time to redo

Took my Tablet to BN today and had them repartition it for me. I was prepared for it to break root, even even be totally reset to factory stock. Which it was.

I am now reading over the instructions for the nth time before I re-root so I won't have the same issue I had as above. Will report back.

EDIT: Reporting back.

I had to watch the last few seconds of the video a few times to see what script you were running in titanium backup. I applied the OTA blocker and am now fully rooted and blocked at 9.9.9.

Now to reload my apps and settings. I wonder if I can use go launcher on here. Lemme check.

I can install it and use it. But trying to set it as the default home results in the dialog box popping up over and over and over and over and....well you get the idea.

I have to get out of that by tapping on the notification area, then selecting quick switcher, then selecting go launcher ex.

I even tried uninstalling adw, then re-selecting my default home as go launcher and get the same results.

I am going to dig around in other settings and see what I can find.

15 minutes later.

<Krusty>
Aw crap!
</Krusty>

Removed Go, reloaded ADW. Same behavior.

Man I hope I don't have to reflash this sucker. Not that it would take long.

Hmm.

Nothing I have tried has worked.

Busting out ye old SD card of "+20 tablet repair".

Bootiing off SD Card....OK!
Installing zip from SD Card...OK!
Rebooting tablet...OK!

Good to go.

The OTA block was not undone either.

Lesson learned: Don't install go launcher on a rooted nook tablet.

Because I am a sucker for punishment I blindly told Google Play to go ahead and update everything. My only concern really is the built in version of Netflix. I don't have an account with them, but I also don't want it to break anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: albertwertz

gsquirrel02

Mar 11, 2008
OnePlus 7 Pro
Awesome job Albert et al! Was able to root my Nook Tablet (NT) using the 4.6 image first time, no issues.

For those of you who use a Mac (I run OS X Lion) and don't have access to a Windows box, here are the steps I used to mount the image to the external SD card. First, make sure you've inserted the SD card you intend to use in your NT AND FORMAT it using the NT. After you have and the NT recognizes the SD card as being ready for use:

1) Connect your NT to the Mac and make sure both the MyNook and No-Name drives appear in Finder.
2) Open Terminal
3) Change to the directory where your browser downloaded the image to - typically the Downloads folder (cd /Users/your username/Downloads)
4) Change the access permissions on the file so there are no read/write issues in the upcoming steps - might be unnecessary, but I did it just in case (chmod a+w NT16gbV4_6\ image\ file)
5) Copy the file to a folder that admin has access to - hopefully you're security-minded enough to not be using the default admin user as the account you regularly use (cp NT16gbV4_6\ image\ file /Users/your username/)
6) Switch to admin user and enter password if needed (su admin)
7) As superuser, use diskutil to list mounted devices - enter admin password again when asked (sudo diskutil list)
8) Note the disk where No-Name SD card shows up (mine was disk3s1)
9) As superuser, unmount that disk (sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk3)
10) As superuser, write the image file to the SD card (sudo dd if=NT16gbV4_6\ image\ file of=/dev/disk3)
11) Wait until the write completes, then exit Terminal
12) In Finder, unmount the MyNook disk and disconnect the NT from the Mac.
13) Proceed to step 2 of Albert's Instructions on how to use the card.

Hopefully, others can use these steps to install the image to the SD card using their Mac instead of trying to find it on Google - although Google is your friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: albertwertz

gsquirrel02

Mar 11, 2008
OnePlus 7 Pro
I can't seem to get the Books to come up on the ADW screen can anyone help?
@tamara, I don't know that you can access the library from the ADW apps menu. I know you can see your BN apps content from ADW, but the Library? I'll check mine - maybe I'm wrong (?)

It's a good point all. Doesn't make sense to have to install the Nook software on the NT in order to see your Library. Anyone looking at that?

tamaramarrero

Sep 18, 2010
Florida
@tamara, I don't know that you can access the library from the ADW apps menu. I know you can see your BN apps content from ADW, but the Library? I'll check mine - maybe I'm wrong (?)

It's a good point all. Doesn't make sense to have to install the Nook software on the NT in order to see your Library. Anyone looking at that?

Yeah I see that I can still get to my books.I was just seeing if there was a way to get the book on the ADW home

loveubuntu

Nov 25, 2010
Root Nook Tablet 1.4.2 using Ubuntu Linux

This worked great with 1.4.2. Thank you very much.

I was helping a friend with her NT and wasn't sure how easy it would be to do this with Ubuntu Linux. Piece of cake. For Linux users: (feel free to include in original post)

1- Download the SD_ROOT_NT16gbV4_6.zip from original post
2- extract the NT16gbV4_6 image file.img file only, you don't need all the other Windows garbage :)
3-rename the file to get rid of the spaces, I renamed it NT16gbV4_6.img
4-fire up the terminal and CD to the directory your file is in, mine was in the Downloads so (case sensitive of course)

Code:
cd Downloads

5- find out what drive is your sd card, type in

Code:
mount

note all the mounted drives, then plug the sd card in your computer (I use a usb stick card reader), and type

Code:
mount

see which was added and ignore the number. Mine was sdb1 (sdb). Yours maybe sdc or whatever. Please use your head, you don't want to erase your computers hard drive by choosing the wrong drive.

6- while the sd card is plugged in, type in the terminal

Code:
dd if=NT16gbV4_6.img of=/dev/sdb

assuming that you are already in the directory your file is in, you have renamed the file as I did, and your sd card is sdb. Make any changes accordingly and press enter. It took about 2-3 minutes for the img file to be written.

7-then follow the instruction in the original post.

bocaccio

Oct 27, 2010
Installed fine but when i try to setup email i get an error says cannot find application email.

VH99

May 11, 2011
Houston
Okay I'm gonna try to root my gf's 16gb 1.4.2 tablet. One question though. If i do this will i have the B&N apps i currently have AND android market? (Google play lol)

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

VH99

May 11, 2011
Houston
Oh and is it also necessary to install a OTA blocker? If so, why? Just being pre cautious. Thanks in advance :)

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
Oh and is it also necessary to install a OTA blocker? If so, why? Just being pre cautious. Thanks in advance :)

why? because if you don't do it when B&n release the next update you will get it and so root and most of your apps will be broken.
Advice install CWM and make a backup once you finish setting up your girlfriend's NT so if something happens in a future and you need to revert back to what you had you will be able to.
Sideload CMW app and other apps via ADB (don't know if it works but it should though) you may want to edit your build.prop to make google play think your gf's NT is a nexus S or droid 3 so you can see more apps in there. Check here

Okay I'm gonna try to root my gf's 16gb 1.4.2 tablet. One question though. If i do this will i have the B&N apps i currently have AND android market? (Google play lol)

yes

Reactions: VH99

VH99

May 11, 2011
Houston
why? because if you don't do it when B&n release the next update you will get it and so root and most of your apps will be broken.
Advice install CWM and make a backup once you finish setting up your girlfriend's NT so if something happens in a future and you need to revert back to what you had you will be able to.
Sideload CMW app and other apps via ADB (don't know if it works but it should though) you may want to edit your build.prop to make google play think your gf's NT is a nexus S or droid 3 so you can see more apps in there. Check here

yes

Thanks for your replies :)

hoodred

May 21, 2011
HI
Does this work for NT 8GB with 1.4.2
Just bought NT8 with firmware 1.4.2
I followed the instruction and i have checked all files are on SD card
however I cant seem to boot either with usb cable, power and N button or power button alone.
Nothing comes up the screen just keep blank.
When I remove the sd card it boot up again.
I tried with 4 different sd cards.
Am I missing something ?

Thanks

albertwertz

Dec 8, 2011
Wolfforth, TX
please provide a step by step of your process...

Take sd card, put in nook, unmount and erase
plug in usb to mount to pc
unpack file to desktop
run exe
chose sd image
chose external sd on nook (not mynook drive)
write
unplug usb and turn off
pop sd out and in, plug in usb, leave alone.
let us know what happens.

The files work, they have been tested. Most of the time, if they dont work, its user error.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does NOT work on Nook COLOR. Nook TABLET ONLY. There is a difference.

NEW SD CARD image, Version 4.7 Files cleaned up, for 16and8GB NT only, ANY version

changed hosting, spent some cash, donations appreciated...

Code:
    Changelog 
    4.7- removed keyboard to be separate patch, removed amazon to be sideloaded.
    4.6- Patch now 8gb and 16gb
    4.6- restructure files again
    4.5- LIVE WALLPAPER, 3d Gallery, Custom Keyboard, and changed files to one flashable small image and zip file. New instructions, also link to supplemental app package so download for root files is smaller.
    4.4- Restructured files and added an instruction txt file to make the process even easier to follow.
    4.3- Added a couple of extra apps to sideload folder
    4.2- deleted readme file
    4.1- changed sd image file to install faster, follow steps below same as before.

ROOT through SD card doesn’t require custom Drivers! You are still responsible for following root process to achieve root. Warning- Always make backups of your tablet. I am not responsible if you mess this up or brick your tablet. You do this at your own risk!

DO NOT MIRROR these files.

This process is heavily dependent on the work being done here plus additions of my own!
    Thanks to:Indirect, Loglud, ChainsDD, Bauwkz, Nemith, Goncezilla, Brianf21, AdamOutler, Meghd00t, AND Albert Wertz (for his work here and building on others work)
    And anyone I have missed, please PM me.

Demonstration Video of SD Card in Action

Troubleshoot Thread here

image.php

Computer required to make SD card. No Computer Required to Use SD Card for Root and CWM depending on the variation of NT you have. There is one variation that does require a USB connection to enter CWM. You can thank barnes and noble for poor quality control.

***Disclaimer You do this at your own risk, Use your head, if you are not comfortable with this, dont do it. Rooting nulls your warranty if you try and return a rooted device, they and I will laugh at you. Unroot it before returning. This modifies the onboard Rom, So root will be on your tablet after using Root SD card.***

Windows required; mac and linux users: just extract the img file from the downloaded file and mount it to an sd card. its that simple. If you dont know how to mount an IMG file to your SD card... Google it.

Instructions: Download File SD_ROOT_NT16or8gbV4_7
    MD5 Sums: soon

Video Walk-through for windows users on how to make SDNTV4.6: Same video instructions for 4.6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCET91ElYmc

1. Connect Nook Tablet with auto mount turned on (if you have never rooted before it should already be on) and SD card in it to your computer.
    2. Run Win32diskimager.exe file
    3. Select “NT16or8gbV4_7 image file” and select drive for SD card on Nook (or SD card Reader) ***NOT INTERNAL SD CARD ON NOOK ***DON’T SELECT MY NOOK!!!!
    4. Click Write
    5. Disconnect Nook. Your card is made. Remove card.
    6. Donate ;)

Instructions on how to use the card.
    Video http://youtu.be/VQuM2m61qts

1. Put in Root SD Card
    2. Turn Unrooted Tablet OFF
    3. use usb cable attached to PC to turn on (should be auto, dont push power button)
    4. Install Zip from SD card, Root_Zip_NTV4_6
    5. Press power button to go back
    6. Reboot using CWM settings
    9. Follow Video for Root Calibration with Apps
    7. Sideload all you want (See folder for select games and other stuff)
    8. Donate, Click THANKS! Please post your experiences with this product as a quick reply to this thread so others can see your experience.

to ota block, just update nt hidden settings from market and use that

How to use these SD cards to create a custom recovery ROM

Included things on SD card right now:

1. Apps Folder (CWM App Flasher and Unrooter App)
    2. Root_Zip_NTV4_7
    3. Boot.img
    4. Flashing_boot.img
    5. MLO
    6. u-boot.bin

Apps included in Root Process:
    1. ADW
    2. Amazon Appstore
    3. Anycut
    4. Home Manager
    5. ES File Explorer
    6. Spare parts
    7. Homecatcher
    8. NT Hidden Settings app
    9. Titanium backup
    10. Custom Keyboard
    11. Live wallpaper
    12. 3d Gallery

Other apps in app folder on SD card image:
    1. Nook Recovery Flasher
    2. Nook Unrooter

When finished with card, this is how to restore it to full capacity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6bZpML3FEE

Supplimental Sideloading packet
    MD5 Sum: soon

Video on sideloading: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMZrDbOuKv8

Apps included for sideloading
    1. Amazon appstore
    2. AB Rio
    3. AB Seasons
    4. AB Original
    5. Go Launcher
    6. MxPlayer
    7. Nookunrooter
    8. Pocketlegends Free MMORPG (friend me on pocket legends if you want “suicideclown”)
    9. Twitter
    10. Dropbox
    11. facebook
    12. GetJar market
    13. Nook Recovery flasher
    14. Nook Tablet Hijacker
    I can send it to you in email. send me an email at androidshrink@gmail.com and I will email it to you. The links will be back up in 3 days. Someone was abusing my links again. Every time this happens, the server goes down for 3 days. This is why I request emails on the R3 file. Someone must have posted it and it abused my bandwidth. People dont realize there are bot downloaders out there that mess things like this up.
    FAQ

Q: When I restart I get error with Unrooter app
    A: Uninstall unrooter app and just copy it over to Media folder or another SD card, It can be manually pulled out of files from PC as well, You dont have to install this now. Is only used when need to Unroot.

Q: How do I get my full size SD card back, is only 70mb?
    A: Go to settings, about your nook and unmount sd cart then chose to reformat. Will restore back to full size.

Q: When I run update.zip nothing happens
    A: You are not following the directions correctly. You didnt replace the files on the disc image with the new folder files. Or you are not looking for the files on the sd card like the directions say. There should be no Update.zip. Watch the video if you are having trouble. The 2 zips to install are on the external SD card so you must chose that option in CWM.

Q: Does this unlock BN partition?
    A: No, but they are working on it for roms and you have to root and install CWM to install roms. but roms are not released yet.

Q: When I put the SD Card in and Turn it on it does nothing but boot.
    A: Well, you were probably version 1.4.1 or had that installed before and tried to follow the instructions for 1.4.0, Try following the instructions for 1.4.1

Q: I Patched OTA Block with Titanium backup and not 9.9.9, still 1.4.*
    A: Reboot and it should change.
    Power Off

So I didn't do anything wrong. This is a problem with the rom its self

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Not suggesting that you did anything wrong.

I have seen this with my NT8 several times under different scenarios. Particularly when I change SDCards.

Somehow, the NT is not fully turned off and appears to be in some kind of debug mode.

Holding the power button down for an EXTENDED time (once for over 2 minutes), forces it to shut down. Then, the next press will power on correctly.

YMMV but it works for me. I have to do it FREQUENTLY.:)