Pre-installed Uupay.A/Uupay.D spyware on some Chinese phones

Search This thread

SUMM0NER

Jun 20, 2007
London
Heise (German publisher of various computer related magazines) has just put up an article about the Chinese Star N9500 Android smartphone coming pre-loaded with a trojan called Uupay.D, that will try to harvest your personal information on the phone and may even try to send costly SMS to premium numbers.

link to the article translated into English

link to article in German

I just checked my shiny new iNew/Alps i7000 with ESET Mobile Security and sure enough, it has the Uupay.A trojan apparently macerating as Google Play service. :(

Last edited:

ganeshkrishnan

Apr 26, 2014
Root your device

Root your device and from /system/app remove the extra play apks. The offending apk is not part of system image but of the custom ROM that is on these phones.

Run the the ESET anti-virus to check for the trojan

N2k1

Feb 19, 2008
Lenovo Zuk Z2 Pro
Heise (German publisher of various computer related magazines) has just put up an article about the Chinese Star N9500 Android smartphone coming pre-loaded with a trojan called Uupay.D, that will try to harvest your personal information on the phone and may even try to send costly SMS to premium numbers.

I just checked my shiny new iNew/Alps i7000 with ESET Mobile Security and sure enough, it has the Uupay.A trojan apparently macerating as Google Play service. :(

This program ist known here since 2013/08.
Kaspersky lab wrote in march about this problem - but it was not interesting enought.
Now, the german crew from GData saw this app (it is only a PUP - not a trojan or virus) and they make money with there own anti virus app.

Go to settings --> Apps --> scroll to all apps --> deactivate (or remmove all apps if your phone is rooted.)
You are able to scann all apps on your phone if you pull all apps to your PC (adb pull /system/app and if you run KitKat adb pull /system/priv-app)

Remember: In the eyes of anti virus crews are all rooting apps also malicous apps!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

link to the article translated into English

link to article in German

Root your device

Root your device and from /system/app remove the extra play apks. The offending apk is not part of system image but of the custom ROM that is on these phones.

Run the the ESET anti-virus to check for the trojan

This program ist known here since 2013/08.
    Kaspersky lab wrote in march about this problem - but it was not interesting enought.
    Now, the german crew from GData saw this app (it is only a PUP - not a trojan or virus) and they make money with there own anti virus app.

Go to settings --> Apps --> scroll to all apps --> deactivate (or remmove all apps if your phone is rooted.)
    You are able to scann all apps on your phone if you pull all apps to your PC (adb pull /system/app and if you run KitKat adb pull /system/priv-app)

Remember: In the eyes of anti virus crews are all rooting apps also malicous apps!