HOW TO:Root, Install Clockwork, Remove Bloatware, and more*updated 3/2/11*

Search This thread

GoogleAndroid

Oct 2, 2010
I compiled this for someone at DroidForums and I figured I would post it here.

In order to complete all of these steps, you will need:
ROM Manager
Titanium Backup Pro
Root Explorer
SetCPU
Odin v1.3
A file manager like Astro to install the APKs.

SetCPU can be downloaded here for free: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=505419

It can also be bought from the Market. The others also need to be purchased or downloaded.

In order to root, follow the instructions here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/verizon-fascinate-rooting-roms-hacks/33899-how-root.html

Here is a link for Mac users: http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...s/34188-rooting-using-mac-video-tutorial.html

ClockworkMod Recovery Installation instructions are here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=942021 You can also flash the new recovery with Rom Manager, but for now, I recommend the recovery in the link.

At this point, you should be rooted with CWM Recovery. Now, it's time to install Froyo.

Follow the link here, and you will find Odin files for quickly installing EB01: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sa...roms-w-root-new-clockwork-updated-2-11-a.html

NOTE: You will need to wipe when you go from 2.1 to 2.2. Be sure to back up everything before the upgrade.

Now, you will need a rom. I would recommend SuperClean by Adrynalyne: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=910921 It includes a kernel and there are Voodoo and NonVoodoo versions. This will remove all bloatware, including TouchWiz and Bing. However, the browser will still search with Bing. Then, use the themes sub-forum to find a theme.

You can use ROM Manager-Download-sonofskywalker3 to find all sorts of options. Stock apps, de-Binged browsers, new boot animations, widgets, etc. Anything you didn't want removed can be downloaded there.

If you need to return to stock, you'll need to use Odin. Ask any questions in this thread and I will do my best to answer them. You can also post a thread on XDA(make sure it's in the right section!), or visit the IRC at: webchat.freenode.net channel: #samsung-fascinate

I take no credit for anything here.

NOTE: ROOTING WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR PHONE.

Last edited:

ballaholyk84

May 15, 2008
Awesome writeup. Gonna be great for the people with the Google questions. Also I am assuming the frozen apparently will stay frozen even after rebooting?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

s44

Sep 25, 2010
Sorry, Backup and Hotspot being essential is a myth.

Sent from my Fascinate using XDA

s44

Sep 25, 2010
Proof? Everything I've read says removing them has caused lots of problems.
Proof? Uh, my perfectly functional Fascinate from which I deleted those apps as soon as I rooted?

It may have been an issue on other phones, but there's no established link here.

GoogleAndroid

Oct 2, 2010
Proof? Uh, my perfectly functional Fascinate from which I deleted those apps as soon as I rooted?

It may have been an issue on other phones, but there's no established link here.

I'm not sure. I'll edit my OP and say it's very risky, since you are the only person I have heard of that it doesn't cause issues.

TheBadBen

Mar 31, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
It looks like wireless tether doesn't work for me, and I did delete 3G Mobile Hotspot, so maybe it makes sense to go slow at this before jumping in. I'm not having any problem connecting to wi-fi, though, so if that's all you want then maybe you'll be fine. I use backup assistant so I can't comment on what could happen if that's deleted.

Freezing/hiding apps seems to be the best way to make sure you aren't looking for backup apps somewhere...

Last edited:

GoogleAndroid

Oct 2, 2010
It looks like wireless tether doesn't work for me, and I did delete 3G Mobile Hotspot, so maybe it makes sense to go slow at this before jumping in. I'm not having any problem connecting to wi-fi, though, so if that's all you want then maybe you'll be fine. I use backup assistant so I can't comment on what could happen if that's deleted.

Freezing/hiding apps seems to be the best way to make sure you aren't looking for backup apps somewhere...

Yes it is. That's why I recommend it. I also find it easier than moving them to the SD card with root explorer like a lot of people are doing, but to each his own.

EDIT: I tried Wireless Tether, and it started just fine. I didn't try connecting anything to it, but I know it at least starts. I can't tell if they blocked tethering or if deleting Mobile Hotspot affects it.

Last edited:

TheBadBen

Mar 31, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
Yes it is. That's why I recommend it. I also find it easier than moving them to the SD card with root explorer like a lot of people are doing, but to each his own.

EDIT: I tried Wireless Tether, and it started just fine. I didn't try connecting anything to it, but I know it at least starts. I can't tell if they blocked tethering or if deleting Mobile Hotspot affects it.

Wireless Tether started fine for me also, but my ipod touch couldn't see it at all an inch away. Maybe there's something else that we're missing? Can you try and connect to something and let me know if it works for you?

GoogleAndroid

Oct 2, 2010
Wireless Tether started fine for me also, but my ipod touch couldn't see it at all an inch away. Maybe there's something else that we're missing? Can you try and connect to something and let me know if it works for you?

My iPod wouldn't connect either. I would try my computer, but I don't have a wireless card anymore since I moved the router up here and am wired into it. There's gotta be something to do. I played around with the channels and nothing worked.

DeezNotes

Apr 14, 2010
Baltimore
I have removed [moved] both Backup Assistant and Mobile 3G Hotspot and I have no issues with Wireless Tether. Before assuming Mobile 3G Hotspot is the cause of your issues, try verifying Wireless Tether works for you beforehand. There was a thread dedicated to Wireless Tether not working by a senior member only to find out it was user error.

There's more than one way to move/remove apps and I'm sure we all can confirm deleting .apk files is NOT the best option. I've used Titanium Backup to freeze apps which I could not locate the .apk for, but I prefer moving the .apk files. This is because I've been in a force-close loop after moving a file and the only solution would be to move the file back and reboot the phone. This can be done via ADB. If you freeze an app and you get in a force-close loop you may not be able to use Titanium Backup's GUI to un-freeze an app.

I move to the SD card to free up space on the phone, which comes in handy if you're replacing stock apps from other places. Plus, it gives me an easy view of what to move to/from the /system/app folder if I need to put apps back when there is an OTA (or if someone asks me "what apps did you remove?")

Move/rename/freeze... pick your poison, but please don't delete.

GoogleAndroid

Oct 2, 2010
I have removed [moved] both Backup Assistant and Mobile 3G Hotspot and I have no issues with Wireless Tether. Before assuming Mobile 3G Hotspot is the cause of your issues, try verifying Wireless Tether works for you beforehand. There was a thread dedicated to Wireless Tether not working by a senior member only to find out it was user error.

There's more than one way to move/remove apps and I'm sure we all can confirm deleting .apk files is NOT the best option. I've used Titanium Backup to freeze apps which I could not locate the .apk for, but I prefer moving the .apk files. This is because I've been in a force-close loop after moving a file and the only solution would be to move the file back and reboot the phone. This can be done via ADB. If you freeze an app and you get in a force-close loop you may not be able to use Titanium Backup's GUI to un-freeze an app.

I move to the SD card to free up space on the phone, which comes in handy if you're replacing stock apps from other places. Plus, it gives me an easy view of what to move to/from the /system/app folder if I need to put apps back when there is an OTA (or if someone asks me "what apps did you remove?")

Move/rename/freeze... pick your poison, but please don't delete.

Yup. If you delete, you have to handle the process of moving apps from the system dump. I don't think a factory reset would work, since the apps aren't there and it has nowhere to restore them from.

mackeydesigns

Aug 23, 2010
Just installed CMW and removed bloatware from these instructions, everything went great. Appreciate your time to do the write up.

I'm still interested in doing the lag fix, I did notice a difference with my phone. I ran it one week with it, and one week without and I've noticed a difference. Anyone else running it with all this setup?

GoogleAndroid

Oct 2, 2010
Just installed CMW and removed bloatware from these instructions, everything went great. Appreciate your time to do the write up.

I'm still interested in doing the lag fix, I did notice a difference with my phone. I ran it one week with it, and one week without and I've noticed a difference. Anyone else running it with all this setup?

The lag fix seems to have very mixed results. Some people say it has caused lag, some have trouble un-doing it, some notice no difference. So I haven't taken the risk. I also need the internal memory it takes away. I would consider it if it would fix those occasional stutters and freezes, and actually make a difference.

GoogleAndroid

Oct 2, 2010

You pushed me to do this, so I did, and I do notice a difference. Those occasional stutters don't happen.

Top Liked Posts