[ABANDONED][ROM][Pixel 2][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 15.1 / 16.0 [walleye]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jorgen2009

Feb 23, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
https%3A%2F%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2FIESRqslEiR2gr0amHcsOU_vIQpE%3D%2Fhttps%253A%252F%252Fupload.wikimedia.org%252Fwikipedia%252Fcommons%252Fthumb%252Fb%252Fbe%252FLineage_OS_Logo.png%252F640px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

LineageOS is a free and open-source operating system for smartphones and tablet computers, based on the Android mobile platform.

This is an unofficial build of LineageOS for the Pixel 2 (walleye). I always liked Lineage (and its predecessor CyanogenMOD) as well as the Google line of phones. Unfortunately having a Google Pixel phone isn't certainty for a lot of custom ROMS anymore, so that's why I decided to compile my own version. It's been quite challeging, but I think I finally have a build that is good enough to share.

About
This ROM is is always built straight from the LineageOS sources found on https://github.com/lineageos. There are only 3 changes in order to get this build:
  1. The binaries for this ROM come from AICP
  2. GApps are compiled with the ROM from MindTheGapps including the Pixel specific bits for unlimited photo upload for instance
  3. Disabled Android Verity Boot (AVB), so we don't get the security warning when booting
I am not a developer, I only build this ROM and it reflects the the current status. If there are any things missing or not working I suggest to contact the LineageOS team, they are the real geniuses here and deserve all the credits. I will try to keep this ROM updated on a regular basis.

First Installation
Installing the ROM can be a little hard, especially the first install. Upgrades will be relatively easy though. This first setup is only needed when coming from a different ROM then this. I can't support you if you did't follow this first installation. Be warned it will wipe your user data in the process
  1. In order to get the initial setup and also to use the same vendor partition as the ROM you have to install the latest stock Pixel 2 image from Google found here. More info on unlocking your phone and installing the latest Pixel image can be found in the excellent post by @nathanchance found here. The bestway to flash a stock ROM in my opinion is @Deuces' script found here. The benefit of this is that it'll flash the image to both slots, so they are both on the latest build, including the bootloader and radio. All instructions for using the script are inside the forum. After flashing the image make sure you reboot at least once (no need to set it up now though).
  2. Place the ROM and optionally the TWRP zip and root from (Magisk or from LineageOS (not tested) on the phone and reboot to recovery by using the command line (fastboot boot twrp.img)
  3. Wipe 'data' and 'Dalvik / Art Cache' from TWRP - Wipe - Advanced Wipe. Optionally you should also delete the Android folder on your internal storage through the TWRP File Manager
  4. Flash the ROM and optionally the TWRP zip and reboot the phone

Upgrades to new version
After the hard initial work to get the ROM installed it's going to be easy for upgrades to new versions.
  1. Download the new ROM and reboot of flash to TWRP
  2. Flash the new ROM and optionally TWRP. If you want to flash another kernel or a root solution you will have to reboot you phone, so it switches slots and let it boot normally. Then go back to recovery and flash in this order: TWRP - kernel - Magisk and reboot
After a monthly update from Google and only when LineageOS also adapted to the latest monthly sources (I will tell you this) you will have to do an extra step:
  1. Download the latest Lineage OS ROM and place it on the internal storage
  2. Download the latest image from the Google Factory Images site and run Deuces' script. No need to wipe your data!
  3. After the script finishes it automatically boots into the bootloader. From here fastboot into TWRP and flash the previously downloaded new ROM, optionally followed by TWRP.
  4. Optionally, after a reboot you can flash Magisk and/or another kernel.

Not working
  • Substratum
  • Use Powerbutton for flashlight when Ambient Display is set
  • Active Edge
  • Now playing
Downloads
I'm not maintaining this project anymore, download link has been removed.

Happy flashing :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jascolli

Aug 7, 2013
Thanks very much for sharing this. I've got it installed and it's running fantastic.

razrlover

Mar 28, 2012
Google Pixel 6
Everyone who has had a rom thread has closed the thread for different reasons, time, family, frustration or lack of support etc...

I see don't see why we should be negative and assumee the same is the case with this build. Every rom thread has produced better and more stable builds as time progressed.
@Joregen2009, I have seen your name around before, appreciate you building!!

jorgen2009

Feb 23, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Everyone who has had a rom thread has closed the thread for different reasons, time, family, frustration or lack of support etc...

I see don't see why we should be negative and assumee the same is the case with this build. Every rom thread has produced better and more stable builds as time progressed.

It's my pleasure. I only wanted to share my build, because I know that many of you much be as frustrated as me for the lack of ROMs for our device.
We'll see how long this thread will hold. If it's up to me I'll try to provide at least a weekly build from the actual sources, or whenever there are some major changes in the sources that are important for our device until the Lineage Team declares our device official. Let's hope that happens soon and that this thread can contribute to that.

redsmith

Apr 11, 2011
Awesome! Thanks for this ROM. Any known issues one should be aware of before flashing?

gahndii

Mar 8, 2015
@jorgen2009

Hey thanks so much for the ROM. Its working great!
Is there any chance you could link me the kernel source for this specific build? (Pixel2)

I'm trying to figure out how to rebuild it with the drivers for my TP-LINK WN722N V1.

I really don't know what I'm doing but I'm trying to learn.

I'm trying to follow this guide to accomplish this.

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2338179

I do have Kali for Magisk up and running just fine.
Lsusb command shows my WiFi Adaptor but the kernel won't let me use it.

Thanks so much for reading, if what I'm trying to do is stupid feel free to let me know why haha. If I get it to work I'll share it with everyone.

jorgen2009

Feb 23, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Awesome! Thanks for this ROM. Any known issues one should be aware of before flashing?
The only thing that I am aware of is the fact that the battery LED isn't working, but that will be solved in the next build
Does Lineage have Substratum support ?? Having trouble connecting......

Update. Found answer - : no substratum support
Sorry, than I fear it's not supported by LineageOS in general yet, I don't use it myself
@jorgen2009
Is there any chance you could link me the kernel source for this specific build? (Pixel2)
Sure, see LineageOS sources on github, I didn't touch the kernel in this build:
https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_google_wahoo

banciii

Jul 26, 2012
Budapest
I am still getting the security warning when booting. Am I the only one so I missed something?
Other question: is the Trusted Faces not working because the used GApps package has not been modified for the Pixel, or the ROM has got some incompatibility issue?

redsmith

Apr 11, 2011
Great job. Just a little bug: Long press power button to turn on torch is not working when Ambient Display is set to always on.

jorgen2009

Feb 23, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I am still getting the security warning when booting. Am I the only one so I missed something?
Other question: is the Trusted Faces not working because the used GApps package has not been modified for the Pixel, or the ROM has got some incompatibility issue?
Are you sure you are on the April vendor? Your vendor version must be the same as the ROM needs (currently the April one).
Trusted Faces is GApps related yes, it's not in MindTheGApps. I'll try to make a build with OpenGApps in to see if that works. Both Face Detection for Media and Face Unlock are in the Nano package (https://github.com/opengapps/opengapps/wiki/Nano-Package)
Great job. Just a little bug: Long press power button to turn on torch is not working when Ambient Display is set to always on.
I'll put it in the known issues list in the OP later this week for an overview

jorgen2009

Feb 23, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Another build is up. This time I used OpenGapps so you might need to clear the Store cache. I had no problems upgrading myself. The Text-to-speech improved a lot with these Gapps for me.
New in this build is the LED light when charging and some basic stuff for more compatibility with our device and some networks. Also all the normal changes since the last build for LineageOS are in of course. For the download link see the OP. I also adjusted the OP a bit to show the things that are known not to work. Let me know if I missed something so I can adjust the list

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https%3A%2F%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2FIESRqslEiR2gr0amHcsOU_vIQpE%3D%2Fhttps%253A%252F%252Fupload.wikimedia.org%252Fwikipedia%252Fcommons%252Fthumb%252Fb%252Fbe%252FLineage_OS_Logo.png%252F640px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

LineageOS is a free and open-source operating system for smartphones and tablet computers, based on the Android mobile platform.

This is an unofficial build of LineageOS for the Pixel 2 (walleye). I always liked Lineage (and its predecessor CyanogenMOD) as well as the Google line of phones. Unfortunately having a Google Pixel phone isn't certainty for a lot of custom ROMS anymore, so that's why I decided to compile my own version. It's been quite challeging, but I think I finally have a build that is good enough to share.

About
    This ROM is is always built straight from the LineageOS sources found on https://github.com/lineageos. There are only 3 changes in order to get this build:
    1. The binaries for this ROM come from AICP
    2. GApps are compiled with the ROM from MindTheGapps including the Pixel specific bits for unlimited photo upload for instance
    3. Disabled Android Verity Boot (AVB), so we don't get the security warning when booting
    I am not a developer, I only build this ROM and it reflects the the current status. If there are any things missing or not working I suggest to contact the LineageOS team, they are the real geniuses here and deserve all the credits. I will try to keep this ROM updated on a regular basis.

First Installation
    Installing the ROM can be a little hard, especially the first install. Upgrades will be relatively easy though. This first setup is only needed when coming from a different ROM then this. I can't support you if you did't follow this first installation. Be warned it will wipe your user data in the process
    1. In order to get the initial setup and also to use the same vendor partition as the ROM you have to install the latest stock Pixel 2 image from Google found here. More info on unlocking your phone and installing the latest Pixel image can be found in the excellent post by @nathanchance found here. The bestway to flash a stock ROM in my opinion is @Deuces' script found here. The benefit of this is that it'll flash the image to both slots, so they are both on the latest build, including the bootloader and radio. All instructions for using the script are inside the forum. After flashing the image make sure you reboot at least once (no need to set it up now though).
    2. Place the ROM and optionally the TWRP zip and root from (Magisk or from LineageOS (not tested) on the phone and reboot to recovery by using the command line (fastboot boot twrp.img)
    3. Wipe 'data' and 'Dalvik / Art Cache' from TWRP - Wipe - Advanced Wipe. Optionally you should also delete the Android folder on your internal storage through the TWRP File Manager
    4. Flash the ROM and optionally the TWRP zip and reboot the phone

Upgrades to new version
    After the hard initial work to get the ROM installed it's going to be easy for upgrades to new versions.
    1. Download the new ROM and reboot of flash to TWRP
    2. Flash the new ROM and optionally TWRP. If you want to flash another kernel or a root solution you will have to reboot you phone, so it switches slots and let it boot normally. Then go back to recovery and flash in this order: TWRP - kernel - Magisk and reboot
    After a monthly update from Google and only when LineageOS also adapted to the latest monthly sources (I will tell you this) you will have to do an extra step:
    1. Download the latest Lineage OS ROM and place it on the internal storage
    2. Download the latest image from the Google Factory Images site and run Deuces' script. No need to wipe your data!
    3. After the script finishes it automatically boots into the bootloader. From here fastboot into TWRP and flash the previously downloaded new ROM, optionally followed by TWRP.
    4. Optionally, after a reboot you can flash Magisk and/or another kernel.

Not working
    • Substratum
    • Use Powerbutton for flashlight when Ambient Display is set
    • Active Edge
    • Now playing
    Downloads
    I'm not maintaining this project anymore, download link has been removed.

Happy flashing :)
    Another build is up. This time I used OpenGapps so you might need to clear the Store cache. I had no problems upgrading myself. The Text-to-speech improved a lot with these Gapps for me.
    New in this build is the LED light when charging and some basic stuff for more compatibility with our device and some networks. Also all the normal changes since the last build for LineageOS are in of course. For the download link see the OP. I also adjusted the OP a bit to show the things that are known not to work. Let me know if I missed something so I can adjust the list

It's my pleasure. I only wanted to share my build, because I know that many of you much be as frustrated as me for the lack of ROMs for our device.
    We'll see how long this thread will hold. If it's up to me I'll try to provide at least a weekly build from the actual sources, or whenever there are some major changes in the sources that are important for our device until the Lineage Team declares our device official. Let's hope that happens soon and that this thread can contribute to that.
    For the adventurors amongst us, I placed a preview of Lineage Is 16.0 in the non gapps folder. It's not really ready yet, but It is a very nice start. If you want Gapps you can use the new 9.0 versions of OpenGapps. Since it's very premature I'm not supporting this preview, your on your own here

Thanks to @GubblerJackson for pointing me in the right direction
    Another week, another update. As usual including all the updates from LineageOS and OpenGapps up till about 3 hours ago. See OP for the downloadlink and md5sum.

If you get an error form the play store or instant apps app, just clear the app data (Settings - Apps & notifications - See all apps - dot menu - Show system) and you'll be fine again