Phone not turning on after modem flash

Search This thread

n_alvarez2007

Oct 31, 2012
www.youtube.com
I tried downloading files in this post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2788357 and attempted to flash both the modem and stock ROM using TWRP. The modem flashed successfully but the ROM failed, so I restored to a Nandroid backup I made on CM M6.

I immediately received a message telling me to insert my SIM card. Thinking this was a weird error, I tried to reboot into Recovery and restore again. Only this time my phone did nothing. It's not turning on when it's off and plugged into a power source, it's not turning on in Download mode, it's not booting into recovery, nothing.

I don't know how to fix this without resorting to a JTAG recovery method and was wondering if anyone might have any ideas on how to help me since I don't feel like taking this thing apart.

pre4speed

Apr 17, 2011
lancaster
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I know this may be a long shot, but I've seen it work numerous times. Have you tried removing the battery and leaving it out for a longer time than a few minutes? Worth a shot while waiting for more pro user answers.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Do you have access to a USB jig? I'm not sure that it will work in your case but it's cheaper than using a jtag service.

Jakeuten

Dec 8, 2012
Duluth
mine just bricked for the same reason. same symptoms and everything... ugh

Sent from my XT1028 using XDA Free mobile app

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I tried downloading files in this post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2788357 and attempted to flash both the modem and stock ROM using TWRP. The modem flashed successfully but the ROM failed, so I restored to a Nandroid backup I made on CM M6.

I immediately received a message telling me to insert my SIM card. Thinking this was a weird error, I tried to reboot into Recovery and restore again. Only this time my phone did nothing. It's not turning on when it's off and plugged into a power source, it's not turning on in Download mode, it's not booting into recovery, nothing.

I don't know how to fix this without resorting to a JTAG recovery method and was wondering if anyone might have any ideas on how to help me since I don't feel like taking this thing apart.

The thread posted by Enewman does contain a 4.4. debrick image for the i747. Have you tried writing this image to a (micro) SD card and booting from the card? If this works, you could try firmware restoration after booting from the card. If it doesn't work, then you could try the 4.3 debrick image from the link below. With luck, this could still work since the firmware flashing failed...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2549068

Jakeuten

Dec 8, 2012
Duluth
The thread posted by Enewman does contain a 4.4. debrick image for the i747. Have you tried writing this image to a (micro) SD card and booting from the card? If this works, you could try firmware restoration after booting from the card. If it doesn't work, then you could try the 4.3 debrick image from the link below. With luck, this could still work since the firmware flashing failed...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2549068

how do you get the phone to turn on if it's bricked? sorry in all of my years of using android i've never bricked.

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
how do you get the phone to turn on if it's bricked? sorry in all of my years of using android i've never bricked.

If you get a sign of life outta your phone, it's "soft-brick". Otherwise, no sign of life (at all) = "hard-bricked" and a jtag is needed to push the bootloaders back into it.

A jig quite often boots the device in download mode even when people think they hard-bricked (often a miss-interpretation). And if there's a sign of life, it's easily recoverable!

As for turning on while bricked, you need intact bootloaders to boot from.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
FYI
Flashing the 4.4.2 modem on 4.3 firmware will hard brick the device. To check for sure, plug into a pc and check in device manager. If it says QHSUSB_DLOAD, you are hard bricked. The debrick.img is posted in enewman's thread, but if you guys need the other firmware files for the 2 sdcard method let me know and ill post them for you.
Ive also posted a script in the debrick thread someone can flash to create a new debrick.img in case the current one doesn't work, and if any I747M users want to be proactive and create one for each of their variants.

Reactions: BWolf56

BearOnThePhone

Jul 14, 2012
FYI
Flashing the 4.4.2 modem on 4.3 firmware will hard brick the device. To check for sure, plug into a pc and check in device manager. If it says QHSUSB_DLOAD, you are hard bricked. The debrick.img is posted in enewman's thread, but if you guys need the other firmware files for the 2 sdcard method let me know and ill post them for you.
Ive also posted a script in the debrick thread someone can flash to create a new debrick.img in case the current one doesn't work, and if any I747M users want to be proactive and create one for each of their variants.

Thanks for your reply. I was able to flash the modem and update from enewman's thread last night and it booted up once but had no cellular so I turned it off and it was hard bricked :(

I have DL'd the debrick file an put it on a 16BG card but it will not boot at all, I have tried many times.

Is there anything else that I can do? / If by some chance I get it into DL mode what would my next step be?

I know that the system is on 4.4.2 since I saw it booted up so I don't want to flash 4.3 on it.

Thanks

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Ill be posting more info in the debrick thread shortly. Make sure you check there. Also post there for anything else you need while trying to fix this. That way everything is in one thread and it makes it a lot easier for others to assist you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FYI