[SDK/DLL] «Registry Helper» Edit the Registry with a simple .Reg file

Search This thread

EaterOfCorpses

Jul 24, 2012
DOWNLOAD: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1404609&stc=1&d=1350332484

Hello Guys

I'm here to bring you more comfort to your registry edit life,
No more thousands lines of code to edit the registry no,
Just 1 simple line of code and a '.reg' file,
What you want more? (if you want more reply on this thread :) )

ALERT: this SDK/DLL needs WP7 Root Tools SDK to work(I cant include it because its Heathcliff74 his work)

and now some code :)

Code:
RegistryHelper.RegFileHelper.RegisterFile("");

Look you did nothing now :D

but put the source of the .reg file in that empty string and it works :D

Code:
RegistryHelper.RegFileHelper.RegisterFile("[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\MyOwnReg]\n@=\"Doggyyyyy\"\n\"nope\"=hex:ab,ab,ab,ab,ab");

thats it you now created a key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT with the name MyOwnReg and set the default value on Doggy and added an byte(/hex) value with the name nope

Big shoutout to:

Heathcliff74 for helping me and giving this neat SDK
my mum for screaming at me at 11 O'clock because I wasn't sleeping yet

Regards,

EaterOfCorpses

P.S. :eek: My site is down

UPDATE

Today I fixed the export of REG files and it does work (from my side) only there are some strange bugs with WP7 Root Tools, but I think it'll be fixed soon (I hope)

Code:

Code:
RegistryHelper.RegFileHelper.CreateFromRegistry("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\test")

this will return the source of a REG file

Happy Coding, Guys

Regards EaterOfCorpses

UPDATE:

Tried to fix some bugs but it are bugs in SDK :(

Attachments

• RegistryHelper.rar
    4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
One other feature that would be really cool would be the ability to export .REG files from the registry. This could be used to take registry backups (similar to the way you can in regedit on the PC). Provide an API that specifies a registry path, and return a string containing the .REG data, or possibly one that takes a registry path and a file path, and automatically writes the reg data to that file path...?

Just a thought, but it would be tremendously helpful. One basic thing that is sorely missing from the current WP7 reg editors is a way to back up registry data easily, short of making a full phone image backup. For ome thing,s you need the full image backup anyhow because messing with them might make the phone unable to work normally, but for other things it would just be good to be able to tweak things while knowing they can be easily reverted (I'm thinking about stuff like the GPS settings, for example). I actually started work on a program that could export registry data to a file, but it got abandoned in the face of the many other things I found myself working on.

EaterOfCorpses

Jul 24, 2012
One other feature that would be really cool would be the ability to export .REG files from the registry. This could be used to take registry backups (similar to the way you can in regedit on the PC). Provide an API that specifies a registry path, and return a string containing the .REG data, or possibly one that takes a registry path and a file path, and automatically writes the reg data to that file path...?

Just a thought, but it would be tremendously helpful. One basic thing that is sorely missing from the current WP7 reg editors is a way to back up registry data easily, short of making a full phone image backup. For ome thing,s you need the full image backup anyhow because messing with them might make the phone unable to work normally, but for other things it would just be good to be able to tweak things while knowing they can be easily reverted (I'm thinking about stuff like the GPS settings, for example). I actually started work on a program that could export registry data to a file, but it got abandoned in the face of the many other things I found myself working on.
that's an excellent idea! Im gonna work on it tomorrow!
I took a week vacation from my work so I got all the time :D (if you forget the point that my mom limits me :( )
And with the experience I have I think this will take 2 hours to build, but It will take very long time to backup, so do you know something to block the phone so the user cant use it while it backups?

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
I figure people usually wont make the backup from super-low-level; they'll mostly want to create it near a "leaf" of the hierarchy, so neither creation nor restoration of an export should take very long. Doing a full backup would probably be a bit messy, because as far as I know there isn't any way to lock the entire registry at once, and parts of it are changing constantly. There are actually APIs for creating an entire duplicate of a registry hive (HKCR/HKCU/HKLM/etc.) but you'd have to write a bunch of native code to use them.

One other option would be to put a limit on the API, like an integer for how many levels deep to recurse, as that should reduce the size o the backup created. If you want to do it in a multi-threaded / abortable manner, you could also make the backup API offer a timeout, which if it expires before the backup is complete, would simply stop constructing the .REG file and return whatever it has so far. Also, of course, don't forget to use StringBuilder or some other class that allows quickly combining text.

EaterOfCorpses

Jul 24, 2012
I figure people usually wont make the backup from super-low-level; they'll mostly want to create it near a "leaf" of the hierarchy, so neither creation nor restoration of an export should take very long. Doing a full backup would probably be a bit messy, because as far as I know there isn't any way to lock the entire registry at once, and parts of it are changing constantly. There are actually APIs for creating an entire duplicate of a registry hive (HKCR/HKCU/HKLM/etc.) but you'd have to write a bunch of native code to use them.

One other option would be to put a limit on the API, like an integer for how many levels deep to recurse, as that should reduce the size o the backup created. If you want to do it in a multi-threaded / abortable manner, you could also make the backup API offer a timeout, which if it expires before the backup is complete, would simply stop constructing the .REG file and return whatever it has so far. Also, of course, don't forget to use StringBuilder or some other class that allows quickly combining text.

haha I can't write C++ :(

So I will just start a new thread and make it event based and complicated ;)

EaterOfCorpses

Jul 24, 2012

I just fixed it :D only there are some strange bugs in WP7 Root Tools and that takes a bit of the functionality :(

almost forgot to say:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32846003#post32846003

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DOWNLOAD: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1404609&stc=1&d=1350332484

Hello Guys

I'm here to bring you more comfort to your registry edit life,
    No more thousands lines of code to edit the registry no,
    Just 1 simple line of code and a '.reg' file,
    What you want more? (if you want more reply on this thread :) )

ALERT: this SDK/DLL needs WP7 Root Tools SDK to work(I cant include it because its Heathcliff74 his work)

and now some code :)

Code:
    RegistryHelper.RegFileHelper.RegisterFile("");

Look you did nothing now :D

but put the source of the .reg file in that empty string and it works :D

Code:
    RegistryHelper.RegFileHelper.RegisterFile("[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\MyOwnReg]\n@=\"Doggyyyyy\"\n\"nope\"=hex:ab,ab,ab,ab,ab");

thats it you now created a key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT with the name MyOwnReg and set the default value on Doggy and added an byte(/hex) value with the name nope

Big shoutout to:

Heathcliff74 for helping me and giving this neat SDK
    my mum for screaming at me at 11 O'clock because I wasn't sleeping yet

Regards,

EaterOfCorpses

P.S. :eek: My site is down

UPDATE

Today I fixed the export of REG files and it does work (from my side) only there are some strange bugs with WP7 Root Tools, but I think it'll be fixed soon (I hope)

Code:

Code:
    RegistryHelper.RegFileHelper.CreateFromRegistry("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\test")

this will return the source of a REG file

Happy Coding, Guys

Regards EaterOfCorpses

UPDATE:

Tried to fix some bugs but it are bugs in SDK :(
    Just to confirm, this is a library which parses a standard Windows .REG file and applies it to the WP7 registry, using Heathcliff74's Root Tools SDK?

Cool.
    NICE :)

edit: Added here.

that's an excellent idea! Im gonna work on it tomorrow!
    I took a week vacation from my work so I got all the time :D (if you forget the point that my mom limits me :( )
    And with the experience I have I think this will take 2 hours to build, but It will take very long time to backup, so do you know something to block the phone so the user cant use it while it backups?