Q&A for twrp unofficial

Search This thread

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
I've got some experimental changes I'm testing. Was a small bug somewhere in the code. Also I'm going to build a kernel with write protection removed

Sent from my HTC M8WHL
Is this the bug causing the random reboots? Because I'd love to fix that. I also built a kernel with WP disabled. I disabled perflock too while I was at it.

Great minds, lol.

Reactions: comstar

simonsickle

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 25, 2012
Maryville
simonsickle.com
Is this the bug causing the random reboots? Because I'd love to fix that. I also built a kernel with WP disabled. I disabled perflock too while I was at it.

Great minds, lol.

No random reboots are bad code. I'm going to try out cwm too see if it has all these problems. Also food for thought our kernel doesn't have selinux enabled

Sent from my HTC M8WHL

m03sizlak

Jun 28, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Got ntfs working.. ExFat is being picky. I have the nofuse in the kernel source. I'm hoping of having it completed by Monday

Sent from my HTC M8WHL

Don't think I can make it through the weekend without rooting, but there are like 3 or 4 different recoveries floating around out here and all of them seem shaky at best. I don't need exFAT support, but I would like one that doesn't have "bad code" and doesn't reboot randomly.

Thanks.

simonsickle

Nov 25, 2012
Maryville
simonsickle.com
Don't think I can make it through the weekend without rooting, but there are like 3 or 4 different recoveries floating around out here and all of them seem shaky at best. I don't need exFAT support, but I would like one that doesn't have "bad code" and doesn't reboot randomly.

Thanks.

Don't worry. I'm fixing offmode charging today and posting a new recovery :)

Sent from my HTC M8WHL

m03sizlak

Jun 28, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Sent from my HTC M8WHL

Thanks! But honestly I'm much more worried about the random reboots and segfaults. Seems crazy anyone would consider using a recovery that suffered from such problems, I would have assumed with the Sprint HTC kernel source out that we'd have something stable by now.

Reactions: MassStash

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Thanks! But honestly I'm much more worried about the random reboots and segfaults. Seems crazy anyone would consider using a recovery that suffered from such problems, I would have assumed with the Sprint HTC kernel source out that we'd have something stable by now.
Not if the problem isn't in the kernel :rolleyes:.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Userland segfaults don't typically cause spontaneous reboots :rolleyes:
They're not full reboots (read: not kernel panic) they're ui reboots. I saw this issue with TWRP before on my Jewel when I had pulled in some specific patches on Gerrit (which have since been merged after being updated).

I still believe the issue is there, personally. I will continue investigating, as will @simonsickle I'm sure.

simonsickle

Nov 25, 2012
Maryville
simonsickle.com
They're not full reboots (read: not kernel panic) they're ui reboots. I saw this issue with TWRP before on my Jewel when I had pulled in some specific patches on Gerrit (which have since been merged after being updated).

I still believe the issue is there, personally. I will continue investigating, as will @simonsickle I'm sure.

I've completely fixed segfaults. Ill explain later.

Sent from my HTC M8WHL

Ph33zy

Feb 24, 2006
Orange County, CA
I could use some help. The first thing I did when I got my new m8 was unlocked, installed TWRP, and then create a backup.

I've been tinkering with my phone all night and deleted something in my system. No big deal, I made a TWRP backup.. right? Anyway, I go to restore my system and of course it wipes my system partition before restoring, but can never complete the restore and just says restore completed, but with a big red FAILED. Has anyone been able to successfully restore a backup? I know there isn't a RUU available at the moment, so I'm kinda SOL in terms of getting back to a stock ROM. Could I use someone's else's TWRP backup?

Edit1: Thank God I found this link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2698932&page=10

Edit2: Attached is the log of yesterday's failure. Also, I'm able to reproduce the touch failure by having my phone plugged in and powering off the phone. When I turn on the phone, it will start in recovery for some reason and not respond to any touch. I can sim battery pull by long pressing power while holding my phone to a bright light (trick from EVO LTE days; sounds weird but it wouldn't reboot when I was long pressing power in a dark room at night). Also, the charging LED stays lit while in recovery during the lockup.

Attachments

• recoverylog.zip
    148.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reactions: simonsickle

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated: Extremely stable recovery w/ offmode charging

I've completely fixed segfaults. Ill explain later.

Sent from my HTC M8WHL

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC M8WHL
    It's locked up because it wants to do offmode changing. Also the little reason we haven't got an updated recovery is because I have had to redo some things in the device tree because I refuse to use a precompiled dtb :)

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    Got ntfs working.. ExFat is being picky. I have the nofuse in the kernel source. I'm hoping of having it completed by Monday

Sent from my HTC M8WHL