[Q] button map for cwm recovery - @rwaterspf1

Search This thread
Feb 26, 2014
Hi friends:

I have an infuse 4g with the infamous power button issue. Somehow I have managed to install kitkat on it (due to power button being too touchy in touching it, it was almost impossible to boot to recovery or download mode using the button combo).

So I flashed AoCP 7.2 which was good. I even liked the fact that the CWM recovery included with it did not need me to press the power button for menu selection but rather the capacitive touch search button worked for menu item selection. The CWM version was 6.0.4.6.

But now I updated to CM11 and it upgraded my recovery to 6.0.4.8 but now capacitive search button does not work for item selection. Option and home capacitive touch buttons are still working for moving up and down but I really want search capacitive touch button to work for item selection.
Can somebody explain how can I enable this?

Edit: the search capacitive button does not work for item selection in the root menu (it works in any of the sub-menus).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2014
@Fullmetal Jun

Hi Fullmetal Jun:

I applied your recently created cm11 image and it seems the latest recovery does not allow search capacitive button on the main screen in cwm.
I checked the recent commits in recovery in the github and there are some changes related to how the search button is handled.

I thought to compile the recovery myself but i need the board specific make file that i want to extract from the boot.img but the unpack tools are not working on the boot.img, can you please provide this or generate a new boot.img with recovery fixes (the fix should be small).

Thanks

Fullmetal Jun

Sep 10, 2013
Camp Kidney
OnePlus Pad
Hi Fullmetal Jun:

I applied your recently created cm11 image and it seems the latest recovery does not allow search capacitive button on the main screen in cwm.
I checked the recent commits in recovery in the github and there are some changes related to how the search button is handled.

I thought to compile the recovery myself but i need the board specific make file that i want to extract from the boot.img but the unpack tools are not working on the boot.img, can you please provide this or generate a new boot.img with recovery fixes (the fix should be small).

Thanks

I'm sorry, but I've never created any files for the Infuse! You sure it's really me?
All I know is that I created a detailed list of procedures to flash ROMs properly for the Infuse 4G!
For selection using touch screen, CWM Recovery supports only the capacitive buttons like you mentioned above!
BUT another recovery called TeamWin Projects(TWRP) allows use of touch screen in recovery while flashing which is what you want! It has a newer interface and is as reliable as CWM!! You'll need to find a stable version though :)

Feb 26, 2014
@rwaterspf1

Ohh I'm sorry. rwaterspf1 did it and I saw one of your reply in that thread. Thanks for your replying.

So yeah search capacitive search button does not work for selection in the root menu (the very first menu that you see when cwm recovery starts).
I want this as my infuse has power button issue and I don't want to use power button for selection.

Feb 26, 2014
@rwaterspf1

So i checked the source code in default_recovery_keys.c in https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_bootable_recovery/blob/cm-11.0/default_recovery_keys.c

earlier it was like this and the search capacitive button was working for item selection:
case KEY_END:
case KEY_BACKSPACE:
case KEY_SEARCH:
- if (ui_get_showing_back_button()) {
- return SELECT_ITEM;
- }
- if (!get_allow_toggle_display() && !ui_root_menu) {
- return GO_BACK;
- }
case KEY_BACK:
if (!ui_root_menu) {
return GO_BACK;

but with a recent commit, it was changed to following and as you can see that search button wont anymore do item selection:
case KEY_END:
case KEY_BACKSPACE:
case KEY_SEARCH:
case KEY_BACK:
if (!ui_root_menu) {
return GO_BACK;

I think it'd be really great to use search button for item selection so that the devices like mine can use it instead of the buggy power button