HTC Titan throttled 4g

Search This thread

mmian

Mar 29, 2011
So looks like the ATT Titan is being throttled on ATT according to wpcentral and a bunch of people are reporting no faster data speeds than around 4Mbps. So that means its most likely category 8 HSDPA instead of cat 10. Is there any way to check this or to change the data speeds through the registry or diagnostics mode or what not?

Thanks in advance!

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007
Moved to HTC Titan General

This is a device specific question, not in the WP7 Development section please.

Also try the search function before posting. There is a similar thread already.

Please refer to the read before posting sticky for guidelines.

Take it easy

O_G

link68759

Jun 20, 2010
Razer Phone 2
Sony Xperia 5 II
I get 3.5mbps :(

Get the free app 'Bandwidth'

I'll be doing speed tests on my HD2 and I sure hope H doesn't have the same speed as the H+ or "4G" they had to put me on a separate plan for. I guarantee you they'll be upping the prices shortly...

edit: I'm fairly angry: My HD2, running WP7 7440 just got ~4.00mbps, but curiously after several tests I've found myself throttled to 0.87...

Last edited:

galdal

Nov 27, 2011
I get horrible results, 1.8 down and 1 up. On android I was getting 3.5 +. And I have full bars so I don't know what's up

Sent from my PI39100 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

link68759

Jun 20, 2010
Razer Phone 2
Sony Xperia 5 II
ATT has separated data plans into specifically 3G and 4G. They cost the same at the moment, but they could raise the monthly cost of the 4G data plans, which is probably why they are advertising some phones as 4G that aren't actually 4G...

mmian

Mar 29, 2011
Do any of you know if my old sim which is labeled 3g from my focus will even allow 4g speeds? I put that old 3g sim into my new HTC Titan and the fastest i've gotten is 3.25Mbps down but I consistently get 2.5-3 though. Even with full bars around 3Mbps down.

prjkthack

Jan 4, 2009
Eagan, MN
www.prjkthack.com
ATT has separated data plans into specifically 3G and 4G. They cost the same at the moment, but they could raise the monthly cost of the 4G data plans, which is probably why they are advertising some phones as 4G that aren't actually 4G...

The 4G plan is for marketing and data collection purposes, it actually has no effect on what your phone can or cannot do in terms of your data connection.

You can have a "4G" phone and have a regular data plan and your data speeds will be no different than with a 4G data plan.

Giving the same feature multiple names is a common marketing tactic and also helps AT&T get data on how their products are being sold to customers. And yes, it also means on day they could throw extra charges on certain plan types, but so far they have yet to do that.

Kinda like Sprint's extra $10 Premium Data pack they force onto smartphones. All their phones access the same data network, but they just charge you a little more for having a smartphone yet the Premium Data pack really doesn't do a thing at all to change how data is served to a feature phone or a smartphone.

Do any of you know if my old sim which is labeled 3g from my focus will even allow 4g speeds? I put that old 3g sim into my new HTC Titan and the fastest i've gotten is 3.25Mbps down but I consistently get 2.5-3 though. Even with full bars around 3Mbps down.

The only phones that use a new SIM card are AT&T's 4G LTE phones. Any 3G phones sold in the past 5 years or so should be using the regular 3G SIM card that works fine with AT&T's "4G" plans/phones. "4G" is nothing more than a marketing tactic for 3G HSPA+.

Last edited:

bennyj71

Feb 23, 2008
New Orleans
The only phones that use a new SIM card are AT&T's 4G LTE phones. Any 3G phones sold in the past 5 years or so should be using the regular 3G SIM card that works fine with AT&T's "4G" plans/phones. "4G" is nothing more than a marketing tactic for 3G HSPA+.

I don't know about that. All I know is everytime I change my SIM card, my service gets better. I had problems with my Focus staying on 3G. Changed the SIM, smooth as butter. Since they are free, I suggest everyone should change their SIM when they get a new phone.

mmian

Mar 29, 2011
so is there any way of changing this like you could on the samsung focus through the diagnositics menu?

link68759

Jun 20, 2010
Razer Phone 2
Sony Xperia 5 II
The 4G plan is for marketing and data collection purposes, it actually has no effect on what your phone can or cannot do in terms of your data connection.

You can have a "4G" phone and have a regular data plan and your data speeds will be no different than with a 4G data plan.

Giving the same feature multiple names is a common marketing tactic and also helps AT&T get data on how their products are being sold to customers. And yes, it also means on day they could throw extra charges on certain plan types, but so far they have yet to do that.

Kinda like Sprint's extra $10 Premium Data pack they force onto smartphones. All their phones access the same data network, but they just charge you a little more for having a smartphone yet the Premium Data pack really doesn't do a thing at all to change how data is served to a feature phone or a smartphone.

Yeah, I kind of figured this was the case. I got the idea that they'll charge more from an article, which hypothesized that they intend to charge more eventually, since they actually have branded some newish H phones as 4G (not even H+).

Sent from my HD2 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

tai4de2

Feb 10, 2008
I think this is more about how AT&T manages their network internally, than an issue with the Titan.

When I run Bandwidth to test speed, it picks Seattle as the server because that's geographically nearest to me. In one particular location on the ground floor in my house I get anywhere from 0.5 to ~1.5Mbit. Upstairs I can get 2.5-3.5Mbit.

However, whatismyipaddress.com geolocates me in Sacramento. When I do a speed test to Auburn, CA, I get 3.5-4Mbit downstairs and 5-6Mbit upstairs.

Now... 5-6Mbit ain't setting the world on fire, but at least I know my phone isn't broken, and the device isn't artificially limited to some piss-poor speed. On a class 10 device, 5-6Mbit isn't too bad.