[Q] Can WP handle live-streaming video apps?

Search This thread

zicoz

Jul 5, 2010
One thing that I seem to be missing in the marketplace is apps that does live-streaming of video, the latest to be added to the list is the MLB app that has audio-streaming, but no video streaming of live games, so is it WP that doesn't support this, or is it the developers that doesn't want to?

shardnet

Mar 31, 2012
Live streaming from or to the device? Otherwise there doesn't seem to be an issue with live streaming to the device. Considering a number of RDC's use similar features. No clue about streaming from the device though.

zicoz

Jul 5, 2010
Stream to the device, take my MLB example: At Bat 12 for Android and IOS can show live gamestreams , but WP7 can not. (And the WP one is even more expensive, but that's another case). An then there is sites such as Ustream, justin.tv etc that doesn't seem to be available on the platform.

If I remember there was a 3rd part Ustream app, but watching livestreams didn't work.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Stream to the device, take my MLB example: At Bat 12 for Android and IOS can show live gamestreams , but WP7 can not.

What is the "live gamestreams"? :confused: If you mean "live sport game events": WP7 can perfectly stream live video; but seems like a content providers don't care much about WP7 support.

zicoz

Jul 5, 2010
Yeah, livestreaming of games, thanks I guess we just have to put some preassure on the developers then.

Gloamin

Apr 22, 2012
I've been looking for an app that does this for me as well, mainly for gaming content. There are quite a few out there that seem to be able to stream live video content, like the RedBullTV app and I believe there's a Youtube Live app as well, so with my limited developing-knowledge, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

FlashVideo For WP7 has recently added support for several "Live Video" sites, mostly sports at the moment though. Not sure if this specific update has hit marketplace yet, but the changelog are up on his site. Can't link a source due to low post-count, but it can be found if you look up the app in the marketplace.

I've been briefly corresponding with the developer as well, asking if he would add support for justin/twitch.tv and own3d.tv, and I believe he would seriously look into it, but it seemed to something that would be added in the future because the sites "have many protections", in his own words.

Last edited:

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Guys, as I've said before: technically it's very possible, not a big problem, live streaming are perfectly supported by WP7 (via MS Smooth Streaming technology etc.). The big problem is CONTENT. Nobody will develop app to play stolen content - for ethical reason or because app will be banned from the mp shortly. So direct your questions to your sports channel providers...

Reactions: Gloamin

Gloamin

Apr 22, 2012
Guys, as I've said before: technically it's very possible, not a big problem, live streaming are perfectly supported by WP7 (via MS Smooth Streaming technology etc.). The big problem is CONTENT. Nobody will develop app to play stolen content - for ethical reason or because app will be banned from the mp shortly. So direct your questions to your sports channel providers...

What of sites like Justin.tv who seem to encourage people to make use of their tech for own applications?

We believe that the future of video is live. Our API enables you to use Justin.tv's infrastructure, for free, to easily power live video in your own applications.

I can't link to the source directly but it can be found if you go to justin.tv and click on API at the very bottom.
justin.tv/p/api

Again, my knowledge of development in general is very limited, so I have no real idea what the significance of this is... Would be grateful if someone could enlighten me and if it could mean the possibility of a third-party app?

Thanks.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
This topic is about professional sport events live video streaming. I don't understand why did you mention justin.tv...

Gloamin

Apr 22, 2012
This topic is about professional sport events live video streaming. I don't understand why did you mention justin.tv...

From what I gathered, OP was asking about live-streaming apps for WP7 in general and he also brought up both Ustream and Justin.tv in another post so I figured it was relevant to the discussion.

Is there any significant difference between "professional sport event live video streaming" and services like Ustream and Justin.tv? The latter have provided streams for sport and competitive events in the past as well, and continues to do so.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Nope, you are wrong. He wants to have "livestreaming of games". I don't watch games but I'm pretty sure there are no free live broadcasting of the Red Sox or Bruins games on Ustream and Justin.tv, for example.

P.S. 2 OP: you should mark your question as answered 'cause WP can handle live streams. Your second question "why I can't find app/service for that" is a different question :)

Last edited:

Gloamin

Apr 22, 2012
Fair enough! I guess this is what confused me...
An then there is sites such as Ustream, justin.tv etc that doesn't seem to be available on the platform.

If I remember there was a 3rd part Ustream app, but watching livestreams didn't work.

Regardless, I guess it's a discussion for another thread. Thanks for your clarification regarding live streaming and WP7, it's something I've been wondering about as well!

And again, to OP, the developer for FlashVideo for WP7 has stated that he will add support for several "live sports streaming sites", I don't know if there is anything of interest to be found there but still worth a mention I feel.

Last edited:

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
By the way, as for temporary solution you may use Skype and broadcast live event yourself from the home PC equipped with video capturing board and connected to your cable box :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.