[Q] Am I hosed? accidently froze something I shouldn't have.. endless boot loop

Search This thread

Wittyusernametaken

Sep 22, 2013
Last night Titanium got reset and so I had to refreeze to avoid losing MDL and cut bloatware/etc.

This morning I rebooted to try to get a stubborn app to work. Cue endless boot loop I've been at for over an hour. :( Somtimes it will flash my home screen with the icons then reboots. I effed up didn't I? When this happened with my iPhone 5 I was able to go in and delete out tweaks with iFile to fix, but from googling this seems a lot more complicated and really, really bad.

I know the #1 rule on here is to read and find the answer to solve the problem yourself, and I've got 7 other tabs open and am doing that, but I'm also in major panic mode. How do I fix this? I'm so pissed at myself for not opening the safe to freeze thread last night. :(

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
will I lose MDL and root? I'm getting the feeling scanning the various tabs that I'm gonna have to go back to square 1 somehow :( ugh, I want to cry.

You won't lose mdl, you will lose root and will have to re-root and re-freeze the files to keep the ota from taking place. Do your homework on those first so you know which ones to freeze because it'll want to update.

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Last night Titanium got reset and so I had to refreeze to avoid losing MDL and cut bloatware/etc.

This morning I rebooted to try to get a stubborn app to work. Cue endless boot loop I've been at for over an hour. :( Somtimes it will flash my home screen with the icons then reboots. I effed up didn't I? When this happened with my iPhone 5 I was able to go in and delete out tweaks with iFile to fix, but from googling this seems a lot more complicated and really, really bad.

I know the #1 rule on here is to read and find the answer to solve the problem yourself, and I've got 7 other tabs open and am doing that, but I'm also in major panic mode. How do I fix this? I'm so pissed at myself for not opening the safe to freeze thread last night. :(

You can factory reset from recovery. That will unfreeze all apps but keep root. Good luck.

Wittyusernametaken

Sep 22, 2013
You won't lose mdl, you will lose root and will have to re-root and re-freeze the files to keep the ota from taking place. Do your homework on those first so you know which ones to freeze because it'll want to update.

Well I'm in front of a computer now so there's no way I have any excuse not to check the safe to freeze list at least.

I found this http://downloadandroidfiles.org/download-i337ucuamdl_i337attamdl_att-zip/ I can't log in to my phone to tell specifically what I am, just that I'm ATT, MDL on 4.2.2. Is that the file I use in Odin?

Wittyusernametaken

Sep 22, 2013

You can factory reset from recovery. That will unfreeze all apps but keep root. Good luck.

EDITED: Okay, I flashed stock MDL with Odin after I could only get into Download mode, said it succeeded. And now we are back at the endless boot loop. Although it shows my regular home screen... wouldn't I have lost everything? So did it not take?

What do I try now that Odin failed?

Last edited:

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
I can't boot into recovery. I get the message that it tries to boot into it (volume up, power and home) but then turns off and starts the reboot process all over again.

How do I flash stock MDL with Odin if I can't get into recovery?

Make sure that you hold the three button combo long enough in order to get into recovery. there should be small, blue type at the top of the screen at that point release the buttons.

But if you really can't get into recovery hopefully you can get into download mode.....with the phone off press volume down, home, and power buttons. Connect phone to odin then hit volume up. At that point odin should recognize the phone and say "added" on the screen. Select the MDL (the above MDL file looks legit) tar file after pressing PDA in Odin then start.

NighthawkXL

Mar 4, 2013
Florida
I can't boot into recovery. I get the message that it tries to boot into it (volume up, power and home) but then turns off and starts the reboot process all over again.

How do I flash stock MDL with Odin if I can't get into recovery?

Can you get into Download Mode? opposed to Recovery

Volume Down + Power + Home...

If so you can reflash the stock MDL Odin files which will bring to phone back to factory settings (backup what you can), your need to reroot, and reinstall your custom recovery. Along with that block the update programs...

Wittyusernametaken

Sep 22, 2013
It flashes my home screen, I can hit the button to get into my apps, and can ALMOST get to Titanium before it reboots on me. Over and over and over.

Wittyusernametaken

Sep 22, 2013
Can you get into Download Mode? opposed to Recovery

Volume Down + Power + Home...

If so you can reflash the stock MDL Odin files which will bring to phone back to factory settings (backup what you can), your need to reroot, and reinstall your custom recovery. Along with that block the update programs...

I got it into download mode, and reflashed the MDL file. Odin said it was a succes but when it rebooted my apps are all there just like it was originally. Wouldn't it have brought it back to original? It's still stuck in endless boot loop, I can almost get to Titanium but reboots before I can get to it. Looks like ODIN failed but said it succeeded?

~wolverine~

Sep 20, 2011
Kentucky
Mine did pretty much the same after I used odin to go back to stock. The only thing that helped was a factory reset. Sorry I can't help anymore than that.

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
I can't get in fast enough. I can get into Accounts > Backup and reset > but as soon as I touch Factory Restore, my 4 seconds are up and it reboots. I've tried to be faster.... not happening.

A couple of options:

1) Here is the stock MDL recovery. Flash in the PDA slot in Odin then try to get into recovery and do a factory reset: https://mega.co.nz/#!A8UjUSwC!LBFQjs_Bp6bj1AqeawjaI_aEKej7DWV7NoXz4JEZ55M

2) Try re-flashing the MDL tar in Odin again but this time check the "Nand Erase All" box.

Wittyusernametaken

Sep 22, 2013
Well, you could try flashing CWM through Odin, and then try to reboot into recovery. Also, when you're trying to get into recovery mode, make sure your phone is not plugged in to any power source. My phone kept rebooting when I did that.

Finally got into recovery and am wiped. Thank you all for the help. Now to spend the rest of the day rebuilding. Gah.