[Q] Laser etching the glass back

Search This thread

k3nav7

Nov 11, 2012
Anyone ever thought about laser-etching a cool pattern on the glass back of their Nexus 4? Any idea how that would turn out, and interact with the "Crystal Reflection"? I was thinking a pattern like the N4 Cruzelite cases.

Reactions: athani

Exodian

Jun 28, 2011
Anyone ever thought about laser-etching a cool pattern on the glass back of their Nexus 4? Any idea how that would turn out, and interact with the "Crystal Reflection"? I was thinking a pattern like the N4 Cruzelite cases.

I would be afraid the back glass would blow apart what with all the "my back glass just shattered out of nowhere threads". Glass that sensitive and you wanna hit it with a laser :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Zainiak

Jul 1, 2012
My school has a laser, but I decided not to do it because of what the guy above said ^^^

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

theabsurdman

May 26, 2010
more interesting would be to etch your name and address to it, as a security measure -- like on a car window.

dokukinoko

Feb 6, 2013
Wouldn't your warranty be null and void even if you were successful? And those back replacement covers seem to cost a fortune. Would be cool to see someone do something like this though.

k3nav7

Nov 11, 2012
I'm thinking that I'll find a piece of glass and practice with the laser etcher I have access to first... In a couple of weeks. Does anybody know if the N4 glass is special in any way? Is the back Gorilla Glass 2 as well?

I'm sure the warranty would be void, yeah. Maybe something to do after the next Nexus comes out, when there's an upgrade option available...

Last edited:

republicano

Mar 11, 2010
its a great idea to personalise your phone

you could very lightly etch it or stratch it in and fill it with transparent adheasive so it would still be strong but noticeable unless you want that glitter.

put your home phone number not your address

bla_laber

Jan 16, 2012
Karlsruhe
Doesn't matter which type of glass it is. mostly they are some kind of borosilicate glass with some additions and protecting layers.
Most important thing to know is which wavelength your laser is emitting and if this wavelength is absorbed by the material of interest. As we all know, glass is usually transparent to visible light (range of 400-800 nm wavelength). So if your laser uses also visible ligth, your etching wont be successfull. Etching with a laser only works, if the light of laser gets absorbed. Thus the energy of the light gets transformed to heat and by that laser ablation works.
look at that graphic for a special borosilicate glass (pyrex) http://www.pgo-online.com/intl/katalog/curves/pyrex_kurve.html
reading this, your laser should be far in the uv light (lambda < 200 nm) or far in the infrared (lambda > 3500 nm)
Good luck!

Edit: I just had a quick search on the gorilla glass. here is some kind of datasheet: http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/sites/all/files/Gorilla Glass 3_PI Sheet 010713.pdf
Here you can also find a transmission spectrum (here it is for gorilla glass 3, but should be valid for gorilla glass 2, too). Looks similar to the one behind the link I posted. so the conclusion remains.

Last edited:

timhl7

Jan 25, 2011
I've laser engraved some iPhone 4 backs which I think are gorilla glass. Didn't come out as well as engraving normal glass, so I wouldn't try any intricate details.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

ruzkay

Sep 4, 2010
The glass seems very thin... to me it looks much thinner than the glass of the iPhone 4.

I wouldn't try my luck~ If you are experienced and know your stuff go ahead though.

Top Liked Posts