[UTIL][08.12.11] Apktool v1.4.3 - a tool for reverse engineering apk files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Brut.all

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2009
Brut.all said:
It is a tool for reengineering 3rd party, closed, binary Android apps. It can decode resources to nearly original form and rebuild them after making some modifications; it makes possible to debug smali code step by step. Also it makes working with app easier because of project-like files structure and automation of some repetitive tasks like building apk, etc.

It is NOT intended for piracy and other non-legal uses. It could be used for localizing, adding some features or support for custom platforms and other GOOD purposes. Just try to be fair with authors of an app, that you use and probably like.

Features:

• decoding resources to nearly original form
  • smali debugging: SmaliDebugging
  • helping with some repetitive tasks

http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/

Last edited:

Brut.all

Jul 27, 2009
Ok, now I see, that it still doesn't work for many apps. But you can try your luck ;-)

olearyp

Sep 1, 2009
Had the chance to set this up and make my edit. Absolutely painless. Great work. Thanks!

Brut.all

Jul 27, 2009
Android 1.5 can also work?

Why not? :) It just builds apps, not run them, so it's a question like: "Do smali can also work with Android 1.5?" ;-)

That "Android SDK installed with 2.1 platform" requirement doesn't mean, that it will build apps for 2.1 . It will just use 2.1 resources, but these are (must be) backward compatible.

itanczos

Jul 10, 2005
Why not? :) It just builds apps, not run them, so it's a question like: "Do smali can also work with Android 1.5?" ;-)

That "Android SDK installed with 2.1 platform" requirement doesn't mean, that it will build apps for 2.1 . It will just use 2.1 resources, but these are (must be) backward compatible.

Okay, I'll try!

Another question: The framwork-res.apk could not be decrypted. It will be possible later on?

Brut.all

Jul 27, 2009
Another question: The framwork-res.apk could not be decrypted. It will be possible later on?

Maybe much later :-/

Even if we will be able to decode it and rebuild, we'll have FC after FC. The point is: framework resources must have constant resName<->resID mappings (eg. @android:string/day must be a 0x01040298), because they are referenced by all apps and unfortunately aapt doesn't give us control over resIDs mappings. I think framework-res.apk and other system files are built using some Google's private tools.

We need to create aapt-like tool, that will use custom resIDs mappings - it should be possible and maybe not so hard, but currently I have other things to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Brut.all said:
    It is a tool for reengineering 3rd party, closed, binary Android apps. It can decode resources to nearly original form and rebuild them after making some modifications; it makes possible to debug smali code step by step. Also it makes working with app easier because of project-like files structure and automation of some repetitive tasks like building apk, etc.

It is NOT intended for piracy and other non-legal uses. It could be used for localizing, adding some features or support for custom platforms and other GOOD purposes. Just try to be fair with authors of an app, that you use and probably like.

Features:

• decoding resources to nearly original form
    • smali debugging: SmaliDebugging
    • helping with some repetitive tasks

http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/
    Forget that Maven crap. It builds fine here. I'll just release the binary for v1.4.5. v1.4.6 is in testing and just isn't ready for the public.

http://connortumbleson.com/apktool-v1-4-5-a-tool-for-reverse-engineering-apk-files/

You may find the updated apktool above. It will work with ICS very well. Credits to JesusFreke and others involved in baksmali/smali as well as brut.all for the original apktool.

Bugs here: https://github.com/iBotPeaches/brut.apktool/issues?state=open
    Updates here: http://connortumbleson.com/apktool-v1-4-5-a-tool-for-reverse-engineering-apk-files/

Thanks,
    iBotPeaches
    I'm going to make a new topic, so we don't have to post in a Legacy forum. I need to get off work and run all my last minute tests to be sure my final changes didn't break anything.

Then I'll release. I will put a link to the new thread (when posted) here.
    I've been busy. Its no easy task working with this application. I spend most my time setting breakpoints and just figuring out how the application works.

I've been making my own whitepapers just so I can figure out how to read the data, because I can simply read the code and understand that is skips the first 4 bytes, but by re-doing the resource side of things and understanding for myself why bytes are skipped and why things are read helps me fix it.

I don't wanna say I'll have it out by x time. I do this stuff in my free time. The positional error due to the formatted="false" is fixed in v1.4.6.