M8 is bricked after update

Search This thread

TF85

Nov 24, 2011
STRASBOURG
Hello,
After updating, the M8 doesn't start, no access to bootloader, no access to recovery.
The bootloader is locked and the security is at s-on.
The charging led flashes in bright red color, when is connected to PC or to its charger.
Windows 7 recognizes it as : "Relink HS-USB QDloader 9008"
I need helps.
Thank you.

sonnu0100

May 6, 2015
Hello,
After updating, the M8 doesn't start, no access to bootloader, no access to recovery.
The bootloader is locked and the security is at s-on.
The charging led flashes in bright red color, when is connected to PC or to its charger.
Windows 7 recognizes it as : "Relink HS-USB QDloader 9008"
I need helps.
Thank you.
Factory ota update ??

Hit THANKS if somebody help you

TF85

Nov 24, 2011
STRASBOURG
Thank you for answer,
I have a second M8, how can I backup the eMMC partition ?
Thanx.

Last edited:

kruc Ire

Feb 14, 2016
Samsung Galaxy A70
Sony Xperia 1 II
I am a recent new owner of the M8. How would one restore an emmc partition backup? I am used to TWRP and wiping system, data and the two cache options...can see no legit way to wipe whole phone and replace all emmc.

I am looking in my dev/block folder and I see a lot of extra files in two folders, which are also apparent partitions. I have access to the back up of these via the partition apps, but I don't think you would want them as my phone has been restored from exterior lollipop nandroid created for its model number.

Has OP the adb and fastboot installed? How would one restore a full phone, in case I can find a perfect one for the model and cid I have here?

*I am also have just looked thru these mmcblk0p block partition files.and found where it says security on. Any idea if I can change to s-off by simply unpacking this g in Ubuntu and write off instead of on, and repack and restore?

I love this phone. It is the pinnacle of android, it just is rotten cause these many many problems. But if you seek you wont find a more luxurious phone in its natural state, be that 4.4.2 or 5.0.1 it is a cadilac of phones.

Last edited:

ahmed.ismael

Oct 14, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Xiaomi Poco F3
*I am also have just looked thru these mmcblk0p block partition files.and found where it says security on. Any idea if I can change to s-off by simply unpacking this g in Ubuntu and write off instead of on, and repack and restore?
You can't achieve s-off by what ever you said here
and you can't access some partitions while your device s-on
and you can't flash un signed .zip to s-on device

Sent from my HTC M8 using XDA Labs

kruc Ire

Feb 14, 2016
Samsung Galaxy A70
Sony Xperia 1 II

Attachments

• IMG_20170102_235625.jpg
    IMG_20170102_235625.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 61

ahmed.ismael

Oct 14, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Xiaomi Poco F3
Here is what I found at 4:30 am on this past week:
this is mmcblk0p6 (pg2fs) content,right ?

Just dumped the partition and take a look into it,i got the same binary as yours
my device is s-off and i have the same content as yours

I hope you find a way to do it but i just telling you a fact from 2 years ago no one know how the process is done

Sent from my HTC M8 using XDA Labs

kruc Ire

Feb 14, 2016
Samsung Galaxy A70
Sony Xperia 1 II
Can you explain how we dump the mmcblk0p6 and verify if it's s-on or not ?

The words s on will appear on the bootloader screen in most normal phones. I mean abnormal phones will say s off instead...

You know the screen you get when you power up while pressing volume down.

I just found a way to backup a stock recovery, you need the twrp img, and bootloader unlocked. You go into fastboot (and after ensuring it is working by opening the command window from your computer in the same folder you are keeping your twrp.img, fastboot and adb executables and dll files, and doing a "fastboot devices" ) you do "fastboot boot twrp.img" ( renaming your twrp-M8-3.0.2.0.img thusly, and in case you dont already know, to open a command window from the folder in windows do a shift+right click and select open command window here from the dropdown)

Once it boots into the twrp which is being temp downloaded (non destructive to your htc as it wont change your software status flag to modified, because it leaves your stock recovery, only operating from the temp download space) once the twrp opens, go to backup tab and tick recovery box and swipe to back up. It will backup the recovery to your sdcard twrp folder and you can copy it wherever.

I never dumped that partition. I never successfully dumped anything. I am guessing it would be similar to the procedure detailed above, with possibly different commands. Or you can use the app from gps "Partition Backup-Restore" if you're rooted to get .img files for every partition.

Edit:-Haha I cant even imagine a woman saying "oh, sure, we can break up"

Last edited:

moiboy22

Jul 25, 2011
Did this work?

My Htc One (M8) is in a similar scenario.
Charged overnight but woke up to dead phone. Only flashes a single orange light when putting on charge or plugging to pc. PC shows as RELINK HS-USB QDLoader 9008. Changed battery thinking it was dead, didnt solve problem. Also changed charger port. Same result.

Stock Rom, No Root, S-On.

Tried using different cables (stock cable too), flashlight trick, volume up/down w/ power (over 25 times) even changed sequence a few times.

When on pc, power and vol up after apx. 2 mins flashes orange led for a second but nothing else.

Any help would be great. Thanks.