[GUIDE][HOW-TO]So Samsung Crippled Google Search's Local Abilities? Get them Back!

Search This thread

stevenjcampbell

Apr 6, 2011
PROBLEM:
Samsung Rolled out an update that crippled the local search of contacts, apps, or other locally stored on the phone items.

Wait, what? Why?
The ongoing litigation between Apple and Samsung. Basically, Apple holds some patents related to how mobile phones are searched and to avoid future issues this was removed.

The Verizon variant of the phone STILL has this removed, although the international version has purportedly had this function restored.

SOLUTION:

First of all, the credit for this is not and should not be directed to ME, I am simply pointing out how to get it back based on my experience.

After getting help here several times, this is one of the only ways I can give back.
If this is in the wrong section, I apologize.

Because I have not seen many mentions of this, but there are new Galaxy S3 users every day I am creating this thread to feed to Google in hopes it helps future people that may have this problem.

WHAT YOU NEED TO HAVE:

-=HALT... If you damage your device, brick your phone etc etc etc dont blame me, okay? THANKS=-

1. A Samsung Galaxy S3 (this is for a Verizon version, I am sure it works on all other versions but cannot say.)
  2. ROOT Access
  3. Some sort of custom recovery that allows you to flash mods to the phone.
  4. A bit of patience

**AS ALWAYS MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP. IF YOU MESS THINGS UP, YOU CAN FALL BACK ON THAT.**

1. Click on THIS LINK which will take you to a thread by cajunflavoredbob on how to install Google Now on your ICS based device.

2. IMPORTANT-- Download the M6 "Offline/Online" package. You need the offline version although it is larger, because it will help you search OFFLINE items.

3. Follow the instructions in that thread in step 1. It works, and is fast and simple.

4. Once you reboot, and check that its all set up, hold down the menu button on your device... I thought I had not installed things correctly... You will need to hold down the menu button in order to get the Google Now application to start. If you tap the home button twice it will simply bring up the Google voice dialer. This is not the same as google now.

5. Last step, if you want to do it... visit THIS THREAD created by Killer-B and install the custom ICS google search bar widget that he links to.

This last step allows you to add the search widget to the home screen, but when you click it NOW you get local search of all your apps, contacts etc.

HOPE THIS CAN HELP A FEW PEOPLE.
There are plenty of us that are not as well versed in Android hacking as others, and I am one of them...

stevenjcampbell

Apr 6, 2011
I flashed it...works a treat....thanks for pointing us to it.

Of course. Glad it helped someone. All I'm doing is pointing out that it's the way to get local search back.

The real devs are the ones who made the threads I linked here, they deserve thanks.

My happy discovery is just that this way helps get local search back :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

stevenjcampbell

Apr 6, 2011

Jedis

Nov 13, 2006
I don't see step 1 in that thread. The only steps include different links to download.

stevenjcampbell

Apr 6, 2011
This isn't as difficult as you are making it.
It's installing the Google now mod, making sure it works, then activating it and adding the optional widget.

Basically it ties into step one, in step two I'm telling you which file from step ones link to install.

Step three is saying to follow instructions in that link from step one to make sure it's all set up correctly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PROBLEM:
    Samsung Rolled out an update that crippled the local search of contacts, apps, or other locally stored on the phone items.

Wait, what? Why?
    The ongoing litigation between Apple and Samsung. Basically, Apple holds some patents related to how mobile phones are searched and to avoid future issues this was removed.

The Verizon variant of the phone STILL has this removed, although the international version has purportedly had this function restored.

SOLUTION:

First of all, the credit for this is not and should not be directed to ME, I am simply pointing out how to get it back based on my experience.

After getting help here several times, this is one of the only ways I can give back.
    If this is in the wrong section, I apologize.

Because I have not seen many mentions of this, but there are new Galaxy S3 users every day I am creating this thread to feed to Google in hopes it helps future people that may have this problem.

WHAT YOU NEED TO HAVE:

-=HALT... If you damage your device, brick your phone etc etc etc dont blame me, okay? THANKS=-

1. A Samsung Galaxy S3 (this is for a Verizon version, I am sure it works on all other versions but cannot say.)
    2. ROOT Access
    3. Some sort of custom recovery that allows you to flash mods to the phone.
    4. A bit of patience

**AS ALWAYS MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP. IF YOU MESS THINGS UP, YOU CAN FALL BACK ON THAT.**

1. Click on THIS LINK which will take you to a thread by cajunflavoredbob on how to install Google Now on your ICS based device.

2. IMPORTANT-- Download the M6 "Offline/Online" package. You need the offline version although it is larger, because it will help you search OFFLINE items.

3. Follow the instructions in that thread in step 1. It works, and is fast and simple.

4. Once you reboot, and check that its all set up, hold down the menu button on your device... I thought I had not installed things correctly... You will need to hold down the menu button in order to get the Google Now application to start. If you tap the home button twice it will simply bring up the Google voice dialer. This is not the same as google now.

5. Last step, if you want to do it... visit THIS THREAD created by Killer-B and install the custom ICS google search bar widget that he links to.

This last step allows you to add the search widget to the home screen, but when you click it NOW you get local search of all your apps, contacts etc.

HOPE THIS CAN HELP A FEW PEOPLE.
    There are plenty of us that are not as well versed in Android hacking as others, and I am one of them...