will cm10.1 be easily built for the HTC one ?

Search This thread

qwerty warrior

Jan 21, 2011
when the nexus s was released i was a god send for galaxy s devs because they had all they stuff they need (source) to have a very good implementation of cm7

when the galaxy s2 was released it was hell for devs they ended up signing a petition with +10000 signatures just to get the kernel source and that took them over 6 months or so (as far as i can remember )

now with the HTC one almost as the same as the nexus 4's hardware , no ?
are there big architectural changes?
could they use stuff from the nexus 4 to make cm10.1 work flawlessly ?

batna.antab

May 13, 2012
The hardware of the n4 and the one are very very very different , so it won't benefit from the n4.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

dethrat

Jan 2, 2012
Why did you think a HTC built phone would benefit from a LG built phone.

The soc isnt even in the same Series Never mind all the camera changes. There nothing alike

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app

mattman83

Jan 19, 2011
Brisbane
An open SoC from QC is a step in the right direction, however sense kernels are quite different from those needed for CM/AOSP roms, so it's unlikely it will be perfect. The HOX still has niggles with CM today because some of the blobs just don't play along with non-sense roms.

These days if you want decent CM, I think you just need to buy a Nexus. If only the N4 were better I'd buy one...

Currently tossing up between this phone and the Xperia Z, if I get this it'll be under the mindset that i'll probably be running sense on it forever (annoyingly).

M.

CursiveQ

Apr 2, 2012
what is the difference between sense based roms vs aosp based roms? i've seen some sense based ones that have the same UI as CM10 etc.

mattman83

Jan 19, 2011
Brisbane
what is the difference between sense based roms vs aosp based roms? i've seen some sense based ones that have the same UI as CM10 etc.

It's personal preference. CM10 roms are typically alot smaller and tend to use less ram so can aid device performance. Some people also just like running a rom like they would get on a nexus. Of course this all depends on CM10/10.1 being decent on the phone.. if it doesn't work well because of sense kernels, then it's not really worth it.

If you want to run excellent CM roms, I would suggest waiting until kernel sources are out and see what devs can do, or just buy a nexus (though there's no nexus as good as the One).

CursiveQ

Apr 2, 2012
i'm currently running aokp on my One X. the only real reason i flash roms is so i can have the status bar, settings, dialer, phonebook etc look like stock android.

is it possible to have a sense based rom that will be skinned to look like stock android? with the status bar, settings, dialer and all that jazz?

mattman83

Jan 19, 2011
Brisbane
i'm currently running aokp on my One X. the only real reason i flash roms is so i can have the status bar, settings, dialer, phonebook etc look like stock android.

is it possible to have a sense based rom that will be skinned to look like stock android? with the status bar, settings, dialer and all that jazz?

Not completely skinned, no. Dialler is the hardest part IMO as there's no custom dialler that looks like the stock one does. It's actually the thing I miss most when running sense.

M.

scottspa74

Apr 3, 2009
everett
Google Pixel 6
Not completely skinned, no. Dialler is the hardest part IMO as there's no custom dialler that looks like the stock one does. It's actually the thing I miss most when running sense.

M.

I would disagree with that to a point. I've used sense ROMs where, when you push AOSP contacts.apk to /system/app, you get get AOSP dialer and contacts. Same with mail is possible, if I remember correctly. I've even seen the AOSP settings used in sense (though, it may have been just themed that way) in jellybomb domination ROM. I forget exactly, it's been a while. I run just AOKP or PACman on my Evo lte. I buy HTC for the hardware, not the software. But, sense 5 is intriguing and seems to resemble AOSP more than in the past, but with the blink feed and Zoe (which is what I do find intriguing).

From my Evo LTE, yup.

Dmastax1x

Oct 16, 2010

in cm your're guaranteed to miss out on some key features. For instance, with the HTC EVO 4g LTE (and the one x and all its variants as far as i know), CM cannot incorporate the sense based cameras into the rom, so your're really getting something like 70% of the image quality because nobody's been able to figure out how to use the separate, Sense-designated optics hardware with an aosp rom. You're obviously missing out on hmdi/mhl out so forget about connecting to your tv. There are issues with using mass storage from sdcard (probably not going to be a problem here though), amongst others.

CM is on the other hand, generally more customizable and smoother to run than sense based roms, but there are some sense roms (like VIPER 4G 3.X) that are imo right on par with CMX when it comes to great custom experience yet do not omit important hardware features.