N9005 Recovery and Root

Search This thread

Lambetts

Nov 7, 2007
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hi guys.

Question... Some custom roms require you to be rooted to then install a recovery to then backup your efs partition. Is this true? I think I've flashed twrp, then backed up everything I wanted too (not rooted) then just flashed a custom rom. All to lost are rooted anyway and the root part as far as I know is in the system. So does it matter if you root before recovery? Or can I just flash twrp, backup efs, then flash say xnote?

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Hi guys.

Question... Some custom roms require you to be rooted to then install a recovery to then backup your efs partition. Is this true? I think I've flashed twrp, then backed up everything I wanted too (not rooted) then just flashed a custom rom. All to lost are rooted anyway and the root part as far as I know is in the system. So does it matter if you root before recovery? Or can I just flash twrp, backup efs, then flash say xnote?

Thanks in advance!!

Yes, as most custom roms are pre-rooted you can just nandroid backup and EFS and after that flash the rom. You will not be able to restore apps with Titanium Backup as TB requires root. If you have a TB backup on your computer stored you can restore user apps and data after the flash.

Reactions: Lambetts

Lambetts

Nov 7, 2007
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks gee2012.

The only benefit to rooting before recovery flash is to use like you said TB to backup your stuff?

It doesn't bear any difference when flashing the recovery does it?

On this, one other thing, there's no known way of flashing twrp without tripping Knox is there?

Last edited:

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Thanks gee2012.

The only benefit to rooting before recovery flash is to use like you said TB to backup your stuff?

It does bear any difference when flashing the recovery does it?

On this, one other thing, there's no known way of flashing twrp without tripping Knox is there?

Nope, all KK roms (i think from MJ4 and up) trip the KNOX warranty void, no workaround so far. TB backsup and restores user apps and data while the nandroid backup does the whole rom (user and system data).

Last edited:

Lambetts

Nov 7, 2007
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Spose I could backup then restore in the custom rom from TB from nandroid backup couldn't I? TB had that functionality last time I used it I think.

Is the latest version 2.7 of twrp? Or would you recommend CWM at the moment?

Thank again mate, this is all very helpful. Feel like a noob with all this Knox crap, I've been flashing for years but, I always make sure I know what I'm getting into before I do.

Just found out too, if I rooted in 4.3, I could if kept root to 4.4.2 then used mobile Odin to flash roms haha. And kept Knox from tripping... Oh hang on, a custom kernel would probably tripped it anyway...

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Spose I could backup then restore in the custom rom from TB from nandroid backup couldn't I? TB had that functionality last time I used it I think.

Thank again mate, this is all very helpful. Feel like a noob with all this Knox crap, I've been flashing for years but, I always make sure I know what I'm getting into before I do.

Just found out too, if I rooted in 4.3, I could if kept root to 4.4.2 then used mobile Odin to flash roms haha. And kept Knox from tripping... Oh hang on, a custom kernel would probably tripped it anyway...

For me it seems CWM is more stable atm then TWRP. Try Philz Touch CWM or Chenglu CWM and keep the one you like most. Flash the downloaded .tar files with Odin 3.07.

Last edited:

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Thanks mate. Oh well, here we go, tripping Knox!! Haha.

Might go for CWM then.

Thanks again. :)

Make sure to disable Kies in windows task manager before you use Odin, it might interfere and faill the operation and enable usb debugging on the phone and uncheck reactivation lock in security.

Look here to backup and restore EFS http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2447342.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys.

Thanks in advance!!

Yes, as most custom roms are pre-rooted you can just nandroid backup and EFS and after that flash the rom. You will not be able to restore apps with Titanium Backup as TB requires root. If you have a TB backup on your computer stored you can restore user apps and data after the flash.

For me it seems CWM is more stable atm then TWRP. Try Philz Touch CWM or Chenglu CWM and keep the one you like most. Flash the downloaded .tar files with Odin 3.07.
    Thanks mate. Oh well, here we go, tripping Knox!! Haha.

Might go for CWM then.

Thanks again. :)

Make sure to disable Kies in windows task manager before you use Odin, it might interfere and faill the operation and enable usb debugging on the phone and uncheck reactivation lock in security.

Look here to backup and restore EFS http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2447342.