How to Install/Remove System Apps on Android [MUST HAVE ROOT]

Search This thread
Mar 22, 2006
########## IMPORTANT UPDATE ##########

There is an APP available that makes this much simpler

* No Console Commands Needed

* You still MUST HAVE ROOT

* It must be installed on internal memory to work correctly

* Be sure you know what a system app does before you remove it.

* If you remove a vital app you could mess up your system completely.

The APP is Called: "System APP Remover"

Here's a Link to Download it: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZFC2C1R7
Mirror Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?h3n3ftbwilshcvn

######################################

Here are the console commands for installing/removing system apps in android console emulator, very easy ; )

You must have ROOT and console emulator, I found this very helpful, so I hope it helps others as well...
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Install App to System:

Place APK file in the root folder on your sd card.

Open terminal and enter these commands:

# su
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
# cat /sdcard/filename.apk > /system/app/filename.apk
# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
# reboot
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remove App from System (Be careful what you remove):

# mount -o remount,rw /system
# rm /system/app/Filename.apk

[Optional, to make read-only again]
# mount -o remount,r /system

[When Finished]
# reboot

****KEY****
"#" means root command will follow
[Notes are in these brackets and aren't commands]

- ENJOY

ALSO...

**** I'm new to Android APP creation, but if anyone can automate this script to make a simple One-Click GUI APP that would be awesome, all I ask is that you put my name in the co-dev/"Thanks to" list for the app, just so I can say I helped ;-) ****

- CuriousAndroid

Last edited:

sinfony78

Feb 3, 2011
I am trying to reinstall some files I uninstalled. I went to the following link on this site and found some apps that people said could be removed - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=773142

however, my Act1 video player now quits whenever I receive an incoming text, so I need to reinstall some programs and see which one is causing the problem

I downloaded an app called Android Terminal Emulator by Jack Palevich. I tried a "reboot" command (without the #) but it said reboot operation not permitted. Is this the Emulator I need to reinstall files? Am I doing something wrong?

--------------

EDITED:

ok nevermind, i realized the "su" command gives superuser access needed for the reboot....going to try to install files now

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2006
yeah, to use any root commands "su" must be used first otherwise the shell will think your just some generic user with limited privileges and nothing will work.

It's very important to identify any apps you plan on removing before you attempt it to make sure it isn't needed by another process.

You got lucky, some apps once removed can cause the whole rom to fail, so be careful!

- CuriousAndroid

Last edited:

sinfony78

Feb 3, 2011
well i think i messed something up...is there a way to recover back to stock after using the sdx stock app remover? i removed the video player but tried reinstalling it...when i uninstalled it from sdx, i noticed my other video player (Act1) would quit whenever i'd get an incoming text

i have all the .apks backed up, but after attempting to reinstall the stock video player, it hangs in MyFiles...then i reset back to factory (no Act1), and it can't play my videos, i get the error "No applications can perform this action"

Is there a way to recovery back to stock with all applications installed and in tact? i have all the .apks, but this video player won't work, after following your instructions above

thanks

Mar 22, 2006
It will work. Check the following:

* All shell commands are CASE-sensitive, so if the app is called Vending.apk you can't type vending.apk

* for the command to work you must have the apk on the root of your SDcard, not in sub-directories.

* if you have a copy of the rom you installed you can unzip it on your PC and find the system app folder, which you can use to cross-refference with the system/app folder on your phone to see if your missing something else.

in terminal you can list system apps like this:

# su
# cd /system/app/
# ls | more

[that will allow you hit space bar to navigate through app list if it's longer than a page,press ESC when done to go back to prompt]

* If all else fails you can backup your settings to your sd card and re-install your rom (as a last resort)

-Good Luck

Reactions: sinfony78

Nismo299

Feb 27, 2011
Install App to System:

# su
# reboot

[When Finished]
# reboot

****KEY****

- ENJOY

ALSO...

**** I'm new to Android APP creation, but if anyone can automate this script to make a simple One-Click GUI APP that would be awesome, all I ask is that you put my name in the co-dev/"Thanks to" list for the app, just so I can say I helped ;-) ****

- CuriousAndroid

When I am doing the first part here of installing app to system I dont just simply do that first I can already have an app ready to go that I want to move to sd card right? I am just making sure I didnt have to do that simply first before I even start moving the apps. This site has be great and thanks for everybody help. Wish I would have known have this site way back when.

eckischeich

Apr 7, 2009
What is "yaffs2" standing for? I type "yaffs" instead of "yaffs2". What has this done to my system? Do I have to expect any "side-effects"?
When I call # ls | more to list the directories content, the apk is listed but it is not installed yet. Is there anything else i have to do?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2006
yaffs is nand flash filesystem
yaffs2 is more elaborate updated version
yaff2 has greater support
so if your device isnt supported by yaffs1, it may not work.
it's best to follow the commands as they're written.

apps still appear as apks in system/apps folder after installation.

Reactions: nipunf

johnson8cyl

Feb 28, 2010
Fort Worth
By mistake my contacts.apk is removed. Above trick also not worked. my phone is LG GT540. Pl suggest any other way.

Grab the contacts.apk from the rom you're running and push it back in. Btw titanium backup removes system/apps without terminal commands while allowing to to make a backup first in case u want. it back or for little hickups such as this.

Sent from transparent xda app by theimpaler747

Last edited:

bofh999

Sep 22, 2010
Google Pixel 8
i got a better method.
app is called app quarantine
it need root and is totally free

it can quaratine every app including rom apps and system apps
really that thing awesome. no manuall backup needed anymore and as long you dont brick the os you can easy try and error - but of course still be carefull and login and activate com.brain.logic.provider lol

findpranav

Mar 23, 2011
Hi there i use root explorer and that is the easiest way i think to remove system apps on android phones [root required] you can download root explorer from the market or get it from 4shared just search for root explorer.apk install it and navigate to /system/apps/ and the app you wish to delete long press the app and delete make sure you mount as read/write instead of read only.
Hope this helps 
@0mpranav

bofh999

Sep 22, 2010
Google Pixel 8
actually its not and actually you didnt read my post :)

i advertise this little peace of freeware because it really made my day (im not related in anyway to the developer)
the quarantine removes it but store it automatically in another directory
just multiselect and press one button DONE

no need to single delete something because you always should backup first
for example turns out on samsungs device EMAIl application is also related to exchange sync - huh i was happy to restore it :)

really take a look -
btw i hate the root explorer - for some taksts might be usefull but fileexpert is way better in that and its free as the quaratine app is too

findpranav

Mar 23, 2011
actually its not and actually you didnt read my post :)

i advertise this little peace of freeware because it really made my day (im not related in anyway to the developer)
the quarantine removes it but store it automatically in another directory
just multiselect and press one button DONE

no need to single delete something because you always should backup first
for example turns out on samsungs device EMAIl application is also related to exchange sync - huh i was happy to restore it :)

really take a look -
btw i hate the root explorer - for some taksts might be usefull but fileexpert is way better in that and its free as the quaratine app is too

You were right mate got problems in upgrading my nexus one coz i deleted the .odex system apps directly without any backup but upgraded to 2.3.6 with some trial and error method but lost root access any help would be appriciated 

@0mpranav

iscyi

Oct 2, 2011
Installing system app

Hi, i have the same problem. I tried Root Explorer, and the Shell Commands method (with Cat command), the files i copy are in there, with all the permissions and everything, but when i reboot, none of them are installed, and my "contacts" app is still broken. Can anyone help please?

iscyi

Oct 2, 2011
Nevermind, found the problem. I needed the exact files for my Atrix 4G with the same android version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here are the console commands for installing/removing system apps in android console emulator, very easy ; )

You must have ROOT and console emulator, I found this very helpful, so I hope it helps others as well...
    Install App to System:

# su
    # reboot

[When Finished]
    # reboot

****KEY****

- ENJOY

ALSO...

- CuriousAndroid
    Awesome!

Install App to System:

# su
    # reboot

[When Finished]
    # reboot

****KEY****

- ENJOY

ALSO...

**** I'm new to Android APP creation, but if anyone can automate this script to make a simple One-Click GUI APP that would be awesome, all I ask is that you put my name in the co-dev/"Thanks to" list for the app, just so I can say I helped ;) ****

- CuriousAndroid

Thanks for that, really helpful, also there is this very neat app that can do almost everything app related given you are rooted (ROM Toolbox Pro)

anyone can check it out, although I'm sure most of you already know it (well worth buying the Pro version)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...EsImNvbS5qcnVtbXkubGliZXJ0eS50b29sYm94cHJvIl0.

All the best!
    It will work. Check the following:

* All shell commands are CASE-sensitive, so if the app is called Vending.apk you can't type vending.apk

* for the command to work you must have the apk on the root of your SDcard, not in sub-directories.

* if you have a copy of the rom you installed you can unzip it on your PC and find the system app folder, which you can use to cross-refference with the system/app folder on your phone to see if your missing something else.

in terminal you can list system apps like this:

# su
    # cd /system/app/
    # ls | more

[that will allow you hit space bar to navigate through app list if it's longer than a page,press ESC when done to go back to prompt]

* If all else fails you can backup your settings to your sd card and re-install your rom (as a last resort)

-Good Luck
    yaffs is nand flash filesystem
    yaffs2 is more elaborate updated version
    yaff2 has greater support
    so if your device isnt supported by yaffs1, it may not work.
    it's best to follow the commands as they're written.

apps still appear as apks in system/apps folder after installation.
    I,m new to xda.. I need help friends.. Unknowingly i removed google services framework.. i tried to reinstall it now its showing some error and its not getting installed.. whenever i click it it is showing thaa application not installed.. Without services none of the google apps works... Help me friends..
    Do it via ADB, or you can remove and reinstall again with use Root Explore " device must be rooted "