[Guide/Info] What you need to include to get help

Search This thread

kilometers4

Mar 6, 2012
I have noticed that people in the q and a section are not posting nearly enough information in their post or title to get the information they need. This causes people to ask lots of questions and delay getting the answer they need. So this guide will show you what you need to include in your post to get the most efficient answer to your question.

We'll start with the Title:
- Please do not just say "HALP, PHONE BROKE" or "HELP" , etc.
- You need to be precise, and describe what you're looking for in your thread.

Next, the information you need to state before you even get into asking your question.
- The make of your phone. There are many different variants of your device. I9100 G/M/P/T
- Are you rooted/unrooted?
- What rom you are using? And which version? -and- What kernel are you using? And which version?
- Have you flashed any mods/scripts/themes?
- Have you changed DPI? If yes, to what?
- Have you done anything to try to solve your issue? This would be very valuable information.
- Please (if on stock firmware) dial *#1234# and post the results (thanks to fxrb)

Then you can ask your question.
- Do not ask "What rom/kernel/theme is the best?" -or- Something that you have not searched for (it is infact very obvious if you havent)
- Be specific and precise in what you want/need. Do not write a 10, 000 word essay, or a 3 word question.
- Pictures say a 1000 words ;)

Important things to remember:
- Be polite: People never want to help someone who wont appreciate it, or is rude to them. Remember your p's and q's
- Do not bump your thread: It gets annoying and against the rules

This is under construction and will take a bit to include all of the information needed. I know there are lots of more experienced users than I, and would love feedback of what to include. Please do not hesitate to post in the thread or even PM me with information you think needs to be included in this thread.

Last edited:

ctomgee

Dec 21, 2010
Hopefully. I'm just hoping people see it and follow it :)

The thought is nice... but unless this is stickied (and even then), this thread will fall off the first page, and since the vast majority of n00bs (not new members, but "n00bs" - there's a huge difference) won't search, they won't see it.

Heck, there have been dozens of posts since you posted this that have been terribly short of any information.

But I applaud the thought.

Reactions: madquack

theunderling

Feb 8, 2012
on top of your mother
You have to think how them noobs operate.They muck up their phone,stick the symptoms in a google search,and want an answer asap.
So they are not going to spend hours reading rules and stickies or use the search function.
I spent a week reading about stuff for the x10i I had before I decided to do anything to it.That way at least I had half an idea what helpers were talking about when/if I got into trouble.

When I joined this forum the s2 looked a lot more complicated and the forum looked a lot more "vicious"(like give that guy 20xlashes since he didnt do a search).

Its a tough world lol

Sent from my GT-I9100

kilometers4

Mar 6, 2012
The thought is nice... but unless this is stickied (and even then), this thread will fall off the first page, and since the vast majority of n00bs (not new members, but "n00bs" - there's a huge difference) won't search, they won't see it.

Heck, there have been dozens of posts since you posted this that have been terribly short of any information.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping eventually happens, it gets stickied.

You have to think how them noobs operate.They muck up their phone,stick the symptoms in a google search,and want an answer asap.
So they are not going to spend hours reading rules and stickies or use the search function.
I spent a week reading about stuff for the x10i I had before I decided to do anything to it.That way at least I had half an idea what helpers were talking about when/if I got into trouble.

When I joined this forum the s2 looked a lot more complicated and the forum looked a lot more "vicious"(like give that guy 20xlashes since he didnt do a search).

Its a tough world lol

Sent from my GT-I9100

Yea, but we have to try. At least now we have something to guide them to and for the new people to refer to. If we dont at least have a guide for how to get good answers to their questions theirs no standard.. Now there is :)

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Doubt many people will take notice of this (for a whole host of reasons; don't get me started), but props for trying (thanked OP).

Edit - Oops. Sorry. So used to giving crap threads on here one star I did it to yours accidentally :( (intended to give it 5).

kilometers4

Mar 6, 2012
Doubt many people will take notice of this (for a whole host of reasons; don't get me started), but props for trying (thanked OP).

Edit - Oops. Sorry. So used to giving crap threads on here one star I did it to yours accidentally :( (intended to give it 5).

Yeah, but now we have something to refer the horrible q and a posts that have no info to. And dont worry about the rating... it happens :)
Do you have anything to add to it? It feels like I''m missing something

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Oh absolutely. As I said, good that you've tried, I just don't see it making any difference is all. 90% of people who post here are idiots, that won't change.

No, nothing to add. I think you've covered it well.

Yeah, but now we have something to refer the horrible q and a posts that have no info to. And dont worry about the rating... it happens :)
Do you have anything to add to it? It feels like I''m missing something

CaptHilts

Nov 11, 2011
in relation to search and read before asking questions...

just wanted to share that I've got a nicely setup dualboot with the siyah kernel, RootBox JB 2.1 as my second rom successfully patched with the autopatcher 1.6 and a fully working pdroid. That's it...

Since i have less than 10 posts I cannot thank the developers in their respective threads (at least that's how i get the message). I think this is my 5th post so I guess i never make it to the developers section because i really don't know what questions i can ask and, answers i could give are all answered...

this must be a "new member" problem rather than a n00b one? :)

Regards and 1 post closer
Captn

kilometers4

Mar 6, 2012
in relation to search and read before asking questions...

just wanted to share that I've got a nicely setup dualboot with the siyah kernel, RootBox JB 2.1 as my second rom successfully patched with the autopatcher 1.6 and a fully working pdroid. That's it...

Since i have less than 10 posts I cannot thank the developers in their respective threads (at least that's how i get the message). I think this is my 5th post so I guess i never make it to the developers section because i really don't know what questions i can ask and, answers i could give are all answered...

this must be a "new member" problem rather than a n00b one? :)

Regards and 1 post closer
Captn

Yeah, but don't just get 10 posts just to say "thank you" in the rom Dev section. I van personally say that devs hate this as it clogs up the thread and doesn't add anything to anything. That is why xda has the thanks button, and the devs appreciate that more than saying it. In fact, it you really want to say thank you donate to them. Even if its 1 euro they will be very grateful.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

CaptHilts

Nov 11, 2011
course not :) it was kind of a semi-sarcastic post, I have more to say than thanks ;) I spent countless hours reading and learning stuff (in general, it is fun after all!) and as far as this forum is concerned (which is really helpful btw!) it's difficult to then act (for the time being!). Example: Somehow I managed to post in a developer's thread 1-2 months ago, first a problem then I found the solution and posted it myself. I then got PMed by someone asking me for help. Only problem is I never got an email notification in spite of having a thread subscription so I didn't bother to check my PMs. As for donating, absolutely.

Regards and 4 more to go :)
Captn

kilometers4

Mar 6, 2012
course not :) it was kind of a semi-sarcastic post, I have more to say than thanks ;) I spent countless hours reading and learning stuff (in general, it is fun after all!) and as far as this forum is concerned (which is really helpful btw!) it's difficult to then act (for the time being!). Example: Somehow I managed to post in a developer's thread 1-2 months ago, first a problem then I found the solution and posted it myself. I then got PMed by someone asking me for help. Only problem is I never got an email notification in spite of having a thread subscription so I didn't bother to check my PMs. As for donating, absolutely.

Regards and 4 more to go :)
Captn

OK awesome. I'm used to people who just want to say thanks, so I have to mention something like that. But taking a look at your sign up date, of looks like you might be able to post in the Dev section without having 10 posts. I believe if you signed up before a certain date you don't need the posts. And of looks like you might fit in there. I would try it :) you never know
Edit: but enough off topic :)

fxrb

Jul 18, 2011
Sadly I agree to everybody believing that this thread will not be read by those who should do so, sorry. However, if by accident just one out of thousand will read it then there will be 'only' 999 bad questions remaining - a small progress.

For this one out of thousand I would like to contribute something to the information section of this thread. For basic information I often ask people to dial *#1234# and post the result. As this thread is in the Galaxy SII forum this should work, at least as long as people are on stock firmware (probably use this conditionally ?).

kilometers4

Mar 6, 2012
Sadly I agree to everybody believing that this thread will not be read by those who should do so, sorry. However, if by accident just one out of thousand will read it then there will be 'only' 999 bad questions remaining - a small progress.

For this one out of thousand I would like to contribute something to the information section of this thread. For basic information I often ask people to dial *#1234# and post the result. As this thread is in the Galaxy SII forum this should work, at least as long as people are on stock firmware (probably use this conditionally ?).

Yeah, hopefully at least a few new users see this and actually follow it.

And for the code, what information,action will it show? Thank you for posting with more information to add, I truly appreciate it :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have noticed that people in the q and a section are not posting nearly enough information in their post or title to get the information they need. This causes people to ask lots of questions and delay getting the answer they need. So this guide will show you what you need to include in your post to get the most efficient answer to your question.

We'll start with the Title:
    - Please do not just say "HALP, PHONE BROKE" or "HELP" , etc.
    - You need to be precise, and describe what you're looking for in your thread.

Next, the information you need to state before you even get into asking your question.
    - The make of your phone. There are many different variants of your device. I9100 G/M/P/T
    - Are you rooted/unrooted?
    - What rom you are using? And which version? -and- What kernel are you using? And which version?
    - Have you flashed any mods/scripts/themes?
    - Have you changed DPI? If yes, to what?
    - Have you done anything to try to solve your issue? This would be very valuable information.
    - Please (if on stock firmware) dial *#1234# and post the results (thanks to fxrb)

Then you can ask your question.
    - Do not ask "What rom/kernel/theme is the best?" -or- Something that you have not searched for (it is infact very obvious if you havent)
    - Be specific and precise in what you want/need. Do not write a 10, 000 word essay, or a 3 word question.
    - Pictures say a 1000 words ;)

Important things to remember:
    - Be polite: People never want to help someone who wont appreciate it, or is rude to them. Remember your p's and q's
    - Do not bump your thread: It gets annoying and against the rules

This is under construction and will take a bit to include all of the information needed. I know there are lots of more experienced users than I, and would love feedback of what to include. Please do not hesitate to post in the thread or even PM me with information you think needs to be included in this thread.
    Hopefully. I'm just hoping people see it and follow it :)