Note 2 SDS (sudden death syndrome)

Search This thread

sachinaik

Jun 6, 2011
Bangalore
Hey Ketan,
Please help with a few things:
1. What is the usual practice these days about the warranty while buying a device? Will the seller fill the warranty card and stamp it or should the sales bill we get from the seller is sufficient. When I bought my last htc device in Mumbai, all I got was sales bill but it worked fine with the service center. Since you know the seller in your place, you might clarify this.
2. Is there any new update released in March 2013 in India for note 2? Does it fixes the sds?
3. I'm thinking of buying it if the manufacturing date is of Feb, 2013 and immediately update the device after opening up the box.
we all are becoming pesky in asking so many questions but I hope you would appreciated that the money at stake is high and also the mental peace.
Thanks in advance,

1. They will give u 24 hours, if u find any hardware issues like dead pixels, some kind of tint on screen, or bad battery u can immediately get a new piece. After 24 hrs u will have to goto service centre.
Yes warranty card should be stamped and signed.

2. No update released on March. But if you buy with manufacture date as Feb 2013, it will come out of the box with 4.1.2 and the Rom is of date Feb 2013. Also the emmc firware will be 0x1f7.
You are safe with this. Buy Titanium grey coloured Feb 2013 dated phone.

3. Good. But even if u immediately update also, it will say phine is up to date.

Happy buying. Now that sammy s4 is fragmented, and we dont know the temperatures the phone for octa core version also no review !!!! Good time to have uniform body titanium grey Note 2 with 2Gb ram and awesome multitasking :)

Its also gona get 90% of software goodie that s4 has.....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: kkapoorr

kkapoorr

Jul 12, 2012
Gurgaon
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
1. They will give u 24 hours, if u find any hardware issues like dead pixels, some kind of tint on screen, or bad battery u can immediately get a new piece. After 24 hrs u will have to goto service centre.

2. No update released on March. But if you buy with manufacture date as Feb 2013, it will come out of the box with 4.1.2 and the Rom is of date Feb 2013. Also the emmc firware will be 0x1f7.

3. Good. But even if u immediately update also, it will say phine is up to date.

Happy buying. Now that sammy s4 is fragmented, and we dont know the temperatures the phone for octa core version also no review !!!! Good time to have uniform body titanium grey Note 2 with 2Gb ram and awesome multitasking :)

Thanks man!
I have one question: Can't I buy the white version? And get the ''0x1f7''???

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

dcpathak

May 22, 2012

Thanks a lot for an elaborate reply.
My plan is to buy a titanium grey one.
Which country you belong to, if you don't mind disclosing it, since I doubt in India the seller would not replace the set within 24 hours :crying: Also, I realised that mostly sellers just give a sales bill and don't fill the warranty card. And most important question: was there a warranty card inside the box when you purchased your phone? I vaguely remember that when I bought my desire z, there was just a document explaining the warranty and no card as such.
Should I buy from a Samsung Cafe to be on safer side?
A quick reply would be appreciated as I may buy it today itself :fingers-crossed:
thanks in advance

Last edited:

sachinaik

Jun 6, 2011
Bangalore
Thanks man!
I have one question: Can't I buy the white version? And get the ''0x1f7''???

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Yes you can. But make sure that the manufacturing date is Feb2013.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Thanks a lot for an elaborate reply.
My plan is to buy a titanium grey one.
Which country you belong to, if you don't mind disclosing it, since I doubt in India the seller would not replace the set within 24 hours :crying: Also, I realised that mostly sellers just give a sales bill and don't fill the warranty card. And most important question: was there a warranty card inside the box when you purchased your phone? I vaguely remember that when I bought my desire z, there was just a document explaining the warranty and no card as such.
Should I buy from a Samsung Cafe to be on safer side?
A quick reply would be appreciated as I may buy it today itself :fingers-crossed:
thanks in advance

Yes m from India - Bangalore.

The 24 hours thing is applicable to everyone. But no one will tell u that while buying.
You have to ask them "what if I open it now n see that there are ten dead pixels". Then they tell u abt 24 hrs replacement policy.
But only standard shops like Reliance digital and Big Samsung cafe guys will be aware of this and provide it to customers.

Safer side pls goto samsung showroom only.

Also the waranty card is present inside the sealed box along with phone manuals. U have to tell them to seal it and then sign it. They will do it.

Reactions: kkapoorr

dcpathak

May 22, 2012
Yes you can. But make sure that the manufacturing date is Feb2013.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Yes m from India - Bangalore.

The 24 hours thing is applicable to everyone. But no one will tell u that while buying.
You have to ask them "what if I open it now n see that there are ten dead pixels". Then they tell u abt 24 hrs replacement policy.
But only standard shops like Reliance digital and Big Samsung cafe guys will be aware of this and provide it to customers.

Safer side pls goto samsung showroom only.

Also the waranty card is present inside the sealed box along with phone manuals. U have to tell them to seal it and then sign it. They will do it.

Thanks a lot buddy.
I'm from Hyderabad. I also noticed that different shops are offering different prices. One Samsung shop near CTC offered it at 35500/= some 10 days back (after the price hike), another at Karkhana at 37 something. The Samsung Cafe would sell at the price mentioned at Samsung e-store. Why such a wide spectrum of price offering? Of course there is also a hongkong market near ctc, where I can get this at 33300 also but they are perhaps ebay products!
And I would definitely ask them for 24 hours replacement policy, thanks otherwise I was not aware of it. What other reasons can be sited for replacement: suppose, just by chance, after turning the phone on I find that the mobile has an insane chip, what reason I may site to replace it?
I suppose a screen-guard is a must have accessory and I should buy it immediately. What are other important accessories that I should get soon?

sachinaik

Jun 6, 2011
Bangalore
Thanks a lot buddy.
I'm from Hyderabad. I also noticed that different shops are offering different prices. One Samsung shop near CTC offered it at 35500/= some 10 days back (after the price hike), another at Karkhana at 37 something. The Samsung Cafe would sell at the price mentioned at Samsung e-store. Why such a wide spectrum of price offering? Of course there is also a hongkong market near ctc, where I can get this at 33300 also but they are perhaps ebay products!
And I would definitely ask them for 24 hours replacement policy, thanks otherwise I was not aware of it. What other reasons can be sited for replacement: suppose, just by chance, after turning the phone on I find that the mobile has an insane chip, what reason I may site to replace it?
I suppose a screen-guard is a must have accessory and I should buy it immediately. What are other important accessories that I should get soon?

Buying online is definitely not recommended as you dont get to check it and also u dont get to check the Mfg date.

The price of note2 will only come down if S4 gets released. Untill that time the price will be ~37k in shops.

Best thing to do is to unbox the piece after the purchase in front of the salesman who guided u. Then put on the sim (enable 3g) and sdcard.
Configure google account and play some video.

Offcourse u cant check for the dead pixels there only, as they are so tiny, hence the 24 hours return policy.

Other reasons for return :
Battery bad, like in an hour drained from 100 to 10.
Nfc not working.
Front cam not working.
Phone freezes alot (easily reproducible)
Etc.

But for the flagship I dont think u should look for any other problems but only dead pixels.

U need to buy
1. Glossy crystal clear screen guard.
2. A black/grey back cover.
3. A black earphone (samsung bundled white ones !!!)

Best place would be a capdase shop. U'll get back cover and screenguard for 699.
Ask the shop guy to put on the screen guard. (Make sure u dont remove the initial screen guard which comes out of the box). Let this guy remove it and put the capdase screen guard. This ensures 0 bubbles.

For headphone I recommend Techfusion Twinwoofers. Its 1550Rs and u can get it in capdase shop directly. It comes with a tiny carrying pouch also. Its awesome, atleast for my taste.

Last edited:

dcpathak

May 22, 2012
The price of note2 will only come down if S4 gets released. Untill that time the price will be ~37k in shops.

Will launch of S4 affect the price of note 2? I'm afraid that people would still prefer note 2 over S4 (we would not get the octa core most probably). And if the price of note 2 falls then, it would further create problems in selling S4.

Which company screen guard you are using. I saw on Flipkart about Amzer!

Reactions: sachinaik

hayabusa08

Jan 9, 2011
Singapore
Prices of note 2 n7105 have fallen in the recent weeks. When it was launched its selling price was sgd$980. Now the recent price is only at sgd$765 and i expect it to drop lower when the s4 is launched. As for me note 2 is as good as it was before the s4 even launched. With spen features... octa core will be second in my list. Even the latest games are running smoothly on my quad core note 2. As for camera wise... u want a real photography hobby... get a dslr. A mobile will always be a mobile. Never will it come close to a standalone camera.

dcpathak

May 22, 2012

I made a survey of three shops today evening:
A. Samsung smart cafe (at Tirumalgiri):
1. date of manufacturing: Feb. 2013,
2. I made them download the eMMC Check from play store on one of the display sets, and it showed a sane chip. I also checked using the code "*#12580*369#" and it showed the safer option: MP 1.301. So it seems to be safe to buy from here.
3. The price offered was 36700/=. No discounts, maximum free goody: screen guard.
4. They are not offering the 24 hours replacement policy. They said I need to take my set to the service center which will give me some TOU or DOU (whatever it is) and then I would take it to the shop. They would bring a new set from the main stockist and then replace it. I can take my set to the service center up to 8 days of purchase for replacement.

B. Sangeetha Mobiles (Karkhana):
1. Price: 36400+Bluetooth+General Third Party insurance
2. 24 hour replacement policy.
3. Manufacturing date: Feb 2013.

C. Don't Remember the Name :p (Karkhana):
1. Price: 36300+Bluetooth
2. 24 hour replacement policy
3. The only demo mobile they are using for last couple of month was showing problematic response when checked using the code.
4. Manufacturing date: Feb 2013.

Now, I'm surprised that the Samsung Smart cafe is not giving a 24 hour replacement policy while others are giving! Either he is telling me plain truth (that others are hiding) or he is trying to avoid trouble in case of replacement.

The last shop also showed my boxed pack of Sony Xperia Z. Coming at 37900/= with a free headset and flip cover. How does Xperia Z fares to note 2?
And which of these shops should I buy the note 2 if I go for it. yes, I didn't by it today as it became late in evening and I wanted to do proper research before buying. I may buy it on this Sunday.
Further, the smart cafe guy told me that S4 should come by 2nd week of April. Then should I wait for price fall in note 2?
Thanks

Last edited:

sachinaik

Jun 6, 2011
Bangalore
I made a survey of three shops today evening:
A. Samsung smart cafe (at Tirumalgiri):
1. date of manufacturing: Feb. 2013,
2. I made them download the eMMC Check from play store on one of the display sets, and it showed a sane chip. I also checked using the code "*#12580*369#" and it showed the safer option: MP 1.301. So it seems to be safe to buy from here.
3. The price offered was 36700/=. No discounts, maximum free goody: screen guard.
4. They are not offering the 24 hours replacement policy. They said I need to take my set to the service center which will give me some TOU or DOU (whatever it is) and then I would take it to the shop. They would bring a new set from the main stockist and then replace it. I can take my set to the service center up to 8 days of purchase for replacement.

B. Sangeetha Mobiles (Karkhana):
1. Price: 36400+Bluetooth+General Third Party insurance
2. 24 hour replacement policy.
3. Manufacturing date: Feb 2013.

C. Don't Remember the Name :p (Karkhana):
1. Price: 36300+Bluetooth
2. 24 hour replacement policy
3. The only demo mobile they are using for last couple of month was showing problematic response when checked using the code.
4. Manufacturing date: Feb 2013.

Now, I'm surprised that the Samsung Smart cafe is not giving a 24 hour replacement policy while others are giving! Either he is telling me plain truth (that others are hiding) or he is trying to avoid trouble in case of replacement.

The last shop also showed my boxed pack of Sony Xperia Z. Coming at 37900/= with a free headset and flip cover. How does Xperia Z fares to note 2?
And which of these shops should I buy the note 2 if I go for it. yes, I didn't by it today as it became late in evening and I wanted to do proper research before buying. I may buy it on this Sunday.
Further, the smart cafe guy told me that S4 should come by 2nd week of April. Then should I wait for price fall in note 2?
Thanks

The samsung cafe guy is right. You have to take the mobile to service center and they will give you a reciept for replacement. They gove that reciept to shop and he will give a newer one.
This is the process.

Again u will have to be clear on getting a new set. They will give the reciept.

But from the samsung cafe where I buy, I get 24 hours direct replacement offer. Those guys are cool.

I dont trust Sangeetha. They close the seal and open it in a fishy manner.

I recommend you to buy it from samsung cafe.
Ask them if they are ok to give new piece if you open it and find a defect right after purchase. They should be oknwith that.
I dont think it will have any problems. Check in the shop directly and make the final deal.

I do not recommend buying Xperia Z. I bought it and immediately gave it to my bro. His earlier phone was Nokia 3230 hence he is happy with it.
Xperia Z is a god awful phone. The mic, earphone, loudspeaker all have the record lowest volume levels. Its simoly unusable
1. For talking outside home. Can not use it at all outside. Defeats the purpose of mobility of mobiles.
2. For listening to music outside home.

The screen is god awfull. Cheap contrast and literal ****.

Note2 or S4 is the choice. None of the phones in market are worthy to call themselves as flagships. Even the htc one and iphone 5 doesnt qualify.

I dont think you should wait till S4 release unless u r thinking of buying s4.

---------- Post added at 06:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 AM ----------

Will launch of S4 affect the price of note 2? I'm afraid that people would still prefer note 2 over S4 (we would not get the octa core most probably). And if the price of note 2 falls then, it would further create problems in selling S4.

Which company screen guard you are using. I saw on Flipkart about Amzer!

M using Capdase screenguard.

Last edited:

dr.m0x

Oct 28, 2010
Auckland
Sent from the mighty Note II.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364622901434.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364622901434.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 349
Reactions: sachinaik

McLaren__F1

Oct 27, 2011
Here's mine, *knock on wood*

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364623066912.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364623066912.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 318

nicholes

Mar 7, 2012
indore
anyone knows how much smssung will charge for changing the motherboard after SDS( i am going to get a note 2 without bill and no warranty)

in india someone told me that they would charge 6500 to 8000 rupees( 150$ to 180$ (us doller) i want to know what in other countries they are charging for a motherboard.

weasl

Jan 6, 2013
Hi, I was thinking about getting a note 2 in white. How are the chances that I will get one with a sane chip when I buy it in the next month (I know it's hard to tell, but maybe somebody has some relevant experiences)? I would buy it from Hong Kong, if that is important to know...

Also I wanted to ask if there is the same SDS problem with the N7105? (The price difference is really not that high when you get it from HK, but I would prefer a N7100 because of the better battery life and LTE is really not that important to me)

Thanks in advance

weasl

Last edited:

dcpathak

May 22, 2012
sorry guys, it is not save ..... i bought mine two days ago and it happens .......

Type: VTU00M
fWRev: 0xf7

................ sorry, i can only report what happend, nothing more, eben NO solution ... what do you recommend?? Sending to samsung for a new firmware or something like this. The dealer is going to support me, so .......

Thanks, greeting, Henry

Hey Henry,
How is your note 2 now? Is it working normally or got sds. Your input would be invaluable to all those who believe the 0xf7 chip is safe. Please do reply.
regards,
dcpathak

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys, I have been recently reading a few Note 2's dying of SDS (Sudden Death Syndrome). This has affected previous Galaxy S3 phones, and now some versions of Note 2.

========= Note: This is different from the exynos bug ==========

To check, install "eMMC Check" from google play and run it. Disregard the message saying Brick bug = No. Sane chip, and look at your eMMC chip type and FWRev.

If your:

Type: VTU00M
    FwRev: 0xf1

your phone is affected by the bug.

I have read that Andreilux's Perseus kernel V31.2 (Perseus alpha31 (09/01)) temporarily repairs this bug. I am running his kernel anyway. But my question is, how many of you guys have the above chip?

It does include the fix but otherwise they're outdated, same story as on the S3.

Updated to 31.2; same changes as on the S3:

Samsung's fix for the sudden death syndrome (SDS) included. It is caused by eMMC failure on phones with VTU00M 16GB internal memory chips with revision 0xF1. You can check your phone with the "eMMC Brickbug Check" in the Play Store (Ignore the message if it says you're not affected, the type and revision is what matters). The patch is a firmware soft-patch that is applied on every boot and MMC resume, it is not a permanent fix. You will need to stay forever on kernels which include the patch, this also includes updated recoveries and their embedded kernels.

Perseus kernel thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36552266#post36552266

==============================================================

Updates and useful links:

UK/EU Samsung repair: free samsung repairs

I spoke to these guys this morning asking about the free postage on their site, according to them, postage is free but they are not tracked, and they advised me to use a recorded/insured postage.
    for those of you who can't check the unit with emmc, here are the series of tests you can do to check if the unit has the 0xf7 chip:

- the 1st four numbers of the IMEI code on the box should be 3550 and up
    - if you can open the box but still can't do installation of the emmc app, you can do this test: on the dial pad input *#12580*369# then look for the HW Rev (last one) and should be: MP 1.301 (MP 1.300 is the 0xf1)

i've read this somewhere within this thread and did those tests prior to purchasing and yes i got the 0xf7.
    10.000.000 devices have been sold until now.
    60.000 owner of note2 have been reading this thread.
    20-30 SDS's have been reported here.
    Bottom line: the risk of SDS is less than 0.1%!
    Fair, there might be an increase over the next months since many devices are currently not in the critical age.
    However, I don't think we do need to worry to much about it. Especially not if you're on the latest versions of ROM, Kernel and Recovery.
    Just my 2cent...

I don't care what the statistics say. I know that if even one person encounter this issue, it gives him/her 100% frustration and upset. I may sound biased because my phone just died (no PIT partition), but trust me, I'm definitely in a better state than some of the users who have no idea what the hell is going on, given some of them do not come to the forum. Hell I wish I did not use the phone so much without coming to XDA more often to discover these issues proactively, because I assumed the device I spent this much on should have been more stable or at least not being troubled with serious issue like this.

I do agree with you that the number is pretty low, but also think of the everyday person who has never heard of XDA they aren't reading about this problem and go to their provider and get there device replaced.... I just want Samsung to make a damn official statement about it already but it's not looking to likely

So I am with Kjc here. Screw Samsung.

well according to this poll result after using of 6 months(people who have 0xf1 chip) 6 phones died out of 11

at that poll most of the people have not used their phone for six month.(11 people)

the % is much higher!

Again this is some statistics. Note, however, it is not about how high the chances are. It is about how LOW it is and yet I still happen to be one of the victims. Not to mention that the population of N7100 users in the forum should only be a sample of the total population of N7100 users worldwide. If I can be the one who is this unlucky, anyone can (or could have been). As of today, only 20% of VOTERS are having this issue, but the number of total voters is merely 35.

BTW, I've only used the phone for 5 months.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Ok i sounded like a lil whining b1tch in the last post sorry guys. I was just hit by this sudden death thing and read around a little more and feel much better now. As I realized that it is actually pretty funny to read things like "SDS is coming" LOL. It reminds me of someone saying "OMG I'm gonna die".

Anyway, I searched in this thread a little bit using keywords "AT&T" "U.S." "US" "United States" but found nothing. My concern is that has anyone in the U.S. who bought thru Amazon's import sellers had this issue and claimed his warranty successfully? I bought the phone Oct 31, 2012 thru an Amazon seller called Wireless Everything (or sth similar). I think the phone was from Austria when I checked after open it, and I flashed Open Germany 4.1.1 firmware. Am I gonna be able to contact and use U.K. customer service for warranty claim and repair? Or does Austria phone get to be sent to Samsung Austria?

Thanks for any inputs if you know.
    well.... According to "Theory of probability" almost 50% phone is dying after use of six months with insane chip(6 out of 11)
    Fact: Your sample size is too insignificant to make a conclusion according to normal common sense. You dun even need to read whatever theory to know that.
    Oops.

Done the test. ..

Insane chip.

Have the latest software so hope I am okay now.

No root so can't check anything further.

Worried about what would happen after warranty expires though....

How possible is it to get a replacement phone off I explain?

Are you in the EU law? EU law covers you for up to 5 years for a design flaw like this, or up to 2 years for regular electronic device faults.