[obsolete] downgrade from OTA 1.32.651.6

Search This thread

npace

Nov 7, 2008
Hello

THIS THREAD IS OBSOLETE. PLEASE CLOSE.
YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ROOT DIRECTLY FROM 1.32.651.6 WITHOUT DOWNGRADING.

EDIT:
This is only confirmed to work with 1.32.651.6.
Refer to toast's reply below to understand why it might not work with other versions.

STEPS IF YOU WANT TO DOWNGRADE FROM STOCK .6 to STOCK .1 (NO ROOT)
1. I installed the latest RUU 1.32.651.6 found in this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=695604

2. And I was able to downgrade back to the original one found here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=685835

IF YOU WANT TO ROOT YOUR STOCK .6, JUST DO THE FOLLOWING:
3. Then did toast's root tutorial and got to the recovery and everything:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=690762

4. And am back to the rooted 1.32.651.1 with the ability to get to recovery and flash roms:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=693980

On step 2, the RUU was not able to reboot my device into the bootloader. So I booted into the bootloader myself (hold vol down + power on) then plug in the usb, select fastboot and then start the RUU from the PC. It installed like a champ and brought me back to 1.32.651.1.

Hope this helps everyone who decided to upgrade.

Last edited:

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
perfect!!! thanks for doing all this, testing and documenting your process. i was concerned with being limited between which versions, root process, recovery versions, etc.
this is great to know and should remove any doubts/concerns anybody has about jumping into the fray of flashing/experimenting/developing!

J3STUR

Jun 5, 2010
Flint, Mi
Yeah I had the ota RUU 1.32.651.6 installed, then found a method close to toasts method, rooted, flashes flipz stock rom, flash radio update, back to 1.32.651.1 with the radio update, still rooted!!! I even tried the froyo rom and thought it was cool, but waiting on more functionality version, so flashed back to stock rom, still rooted! Even thing works great (no 4g in my area so dont know about that.)

toastcfh

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
It's not that the current ruus won't allow u to downgrade. It's that every time u flash a newer ruu, u are gambling with root. Go look at the Eris and hero forums and u will see. I'm not gonna promote the flashing of ruus because I know what can happen. I have a eng ruu that is older and it can not be flashed because the mainversion is lower then the current mainversion. My goal is to inform everyone of the risks involve in flashing the newer ruus. The fact of not being able to downgrade isn't something I made up. U are just lucky that the newest ruus don't set the mainversion past the bootloader limit for downgrading.

toenail78

Sep 23, 2008
texas
Re: [howto] downgrade from OTA 1.32.651.6

I remember we were told excessives flashes can cause problems but with my htc diamond for the past year i was ruu updating weekly using different roms with their latest releases on my diamond is still going strong.. i like to say its user specific but i could be wrong

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
U are just lucky that the newest ruus don't set the mainversion past the bootloader limit for downgrading.
appreciate your feedback, knowledge and experience toast.

seems like the most accurate way to state this is flashing a newer RUU puts the EVO at risk of not being able to downgrade (or use root, wifi tether, custom ROMs, etc)

hopefully we will be able to detect when this change takes place, by md5sum on hboot.img and compare to previous versions. it didnt seem to change between .1 and .6 . hopefully it wont change in the future! once the md5sum changes, i'd say the risk of not being able to downgrade increases significantly!

although, ive only had an HTC phone with android for 3 days now, i could def be wrong in my analysis ...

toastcfh

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I mean it could be the .1 and .6 doesn't matter. But idk
appreciate your feedback, knowledge and experience toast.

seems like the most accurate way to state this is flashing a newer RUU puts the EVO at risk of not being able to downgrade (or use root, wifi tether, custom ROMs, etc)

hopefully we will be able to detect when this change takes place, by md5sum on hboot.img and compare to previous versions. it didnt seem to change between .1 and .6 . hopefully it wont change in the future! once the md5sum changes, i'd say the risk of not being able to downgrade increases significantly!

although, ive only had an HTC phone with android for 3 days now, i could def be wrong in my analysis ...

2kmy477

Dec 9, 2005
I flashed the .6 through running ruu .exe,I havn't root my phone yet,can I run the unrevoke.apk to root then install wifi tether pre14 ?will this work?thanks.

FuManChuu

Nov 3, 2008
So, semi-floating off topic. It turns out that ultimately the unrevoked root doesn't really do much, and apparently isn't enough for custom roms... if I was going to want to flash something custom, would I need to FIRST follow this guide to downgrade, THEN perform toasts root?

tl;dr - does toasts root work on .6?

npace

Nov 7, 2008

So, semi-floating off topic. It turns out that ultimately the unrevoked root doesn't really do much, and apparently isn't enough for custom roms... if I was going to want to flash something custom, would I need to FIRST follow this guide to downgrade, THEN perform toasts root?

tl;dr - does toasts root work on .6?

Yeah - if you are on .6, just do steps 2 and 3 then flash whatever rom u want using toast's recovery

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Razor1973

Jun 23, 2006
Florida
I installed Sprint's official .6 by mistake, but was able to do steps 1 and 2 of your guide. I can see I'm in version .1 in my phone settings. However, when trying to follow toast's instructions from your step 3, I can't even do "adb push". When I do "adb devices", it doesn't see the phone. So I manually copied the PC36IMG.zip to the SD by mounting the USB and went into Fastboot. It did see the ZIP file and scanned (blue progress bar on the right). It actually looked like it scanned it twice, but, at the end, I didn't get an option to flash it. It just went back to the original 4-option fastboot menu. What am I doing wrong?

npace

Nov 7, 2008

Sounds like it fails when it checks the rom. Make sure htc sync is installed on your pc then boot the phone, connect it and instead of charge only, select htc sync. Then, do the adb push stuff and try again.
And dont go to fastboot this time, just boot and wait and it should ask you whether to flash or not

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Burks569

May 8, 2010
Ok so I haven't rooted yet, but installed the OTA .6 update...can I still back up and get my root abilities back?

xavier1022

Oct 31, 2007
Can I ?

I have a stock Sprint Evo no root no nothing. Ive notice horrible battery life with .6 OTA.. Can I do step 2 without being rooted? I just want the original sprint before OTA.. Sorry for the ignorant question

xavier1022

Oct 31, 2007

I have a stock Sprint Evo no root no nothing. Ive notice horrible battery life with .6 OTA.. Can I do step 2 without being rooted? I just want the ori

Yes you can -- the 4 steps are independent of each other.

Thanks will give it a go.. I was a windows mobile flash aholic...still scared to jump to flashing on android..
-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App