[Tutorial] Root FRF91/FRF85B/FRF83/FRF72 (T-Mo/AT&T) Without Unlocking (100% Working)

Search This thread

Constrabus

Jun 19, 2009
NYC
[Tutorial] Root FRF91/FRF85B/FRF83/FRF72 (T-Mo/AT&T) Without Unlocking (100% Working)

Credits:
Booker-T
M9x3mos
th3fallen
juan413
_Sri_
Amon_RA
cyanogen
For your amazing works leading up to this guide

Notes:
- Donate if I've helped save your HTC warranty.
- This will work! If you can't figure something out, don't get discouraged. Ask here for help.
- After this process, you can flash whatever ROM you like in recovery. I just have the steps showing for CyanMod so you know you have a good, clean system to start off with.

[T-Mo & ATT] Prerequisites:
- Locked Nexus One flashed with FRF85B
(Stuck on FRF91? Use THIS to downgrade to EPE76. Then update back up to FRF85B.)
- Lastet SDK (Click)
- Working ADB (Info)
- The attached .zip "ROOT_FRF83.zip" (Attachment at bottom)
- Got Mac/Linux? (Click Thanks madj42)

Process:
1) Extract the files within "ROOT_FRF83.zip" into the "tools" directory of the extracted SDK package

2) Open a command prompt or terminal and change to the "tools" directory of the extracted SDK package
- Example: Type "cd C:\Users\Matt\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools" and hit Enter

3) Type "loop" and hit Enter

4) With phone attached through microUSB, enter Recovery with the battery cover OFF and the SDcard REMOVED.
- Tip: Be careful not to let the battery fall out during this process
- Tip: To enter recovery, boot while holding Volume down button. Then select the recovery option.

5) When you see the HTC devices attached in recovery mode, hit Ctrl+C, then "y", then Enter

6) Slide in SDcard (Make sure there is no update.zip on it at this point)
- Tip: It should slide in and click VERY easily if you trim the tab on the battery properly. A sharp razor blaze works well.
- Tip: I recommend this instead of other methods (paper slip) because it will work without error
- Tip: You only need to cut as far as the SDcard slot goes, you do not need to trim the entire tab
batterycut.png

7) On your phone, press Power + Volume Up AFTER inserting SDcard

8) Choose "apply sdcard:update.zip"
- Tip: It will fail, but that is expected because there is no update.zip
- Tip: This is done to mount the SDcard after achieving adb while the SDcard was out

9) In your terminal type "adb push flash_image /sdcard/flash_image" and hit Enter

10) In your terminal type "adb push ota.zip /sdcard/update.zip" and hit Enter

11) In your terminal, type "adb push update.zip /sdcard/update.zip" and DO NOT yet hit Enter

12)Ready your finger near the Enter key of your keyboard so that you can quickly hit it once you complete the next step

13) Choose "apply sdcard:update.zip"

14) As soon as you see the yellow installation progress bar, hit Enter on your keyboard
- Tip: If completed properly, you should see a message about rooting adb

15) Choose "Reboot into system"

You now have root access(aka Admin rights) in your stock ROM, but with limited capabilities.

If you want to do any of the following, please continue:
- Flash a custom recovery
- Perform Nandroid backup
- Flash a Rooted Stock Froyo ROM with full capabilities
- Flash CyanogenMod

16) Download the following to the root of your SDcard
- recovery-RA-nexus-v1.7.0.1.img: http://rapidshare.com/files/393267368/recovery-RA-nexus-v1.7.0.1.img
- Note: UnMount your SDcard after copying these files, but keep your phone plugged in

17) In your terminal type "adb shell" and hit Enter

18) In your terminal type "su" and hit Enter
- Tip: At this point, it will hang until you choose "Allow" on your phone with the SuperUser app pop-up
- Tip: $ should now be replaced with #

19) In your terminal, type "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system" and hit Enter

20) In your terminal, type "cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image" and hit Enter

21) In your terminal, type "chmod 775 /system/bin/flash_image" and hit Enter

22) In your terminal, type "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-nexus-v1.7.0.1.img" and hit Enter

23) In your terminal, type "rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh" and hit Enter

24) In your terminal, type "rm /system/recovery-from-boot.p" and hit Enter

You can now boot into your new Recovery by turning off your phone and turning back on while holding Volume Down.

If you want the latest CyanogenMod, please continue.

25) Download the following to the root of your SDcard
- update-CM-5.0.8-N1-signed.zip: http://cyanogen-updater.googlecode.com/files/update-cm-5.0.8-N1-signed.zip
- gapps-passion-EPF30-signed.zip: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mjzwozjojkh

26) Nandroid backup
- Tip: In Recovery, choose "Backup/Restore" then "Nand backup"
- Tip: This will give you an exact copy of your system's current state which you can revert back to at any time

27) Wipe your phone
- Tip: In Recovery, Choose "Wipe" then "Wipe data/factory reset"

28) Apply zip "update-CM-5.0.8-N1-signed.zip"
- Tip: In Recovery, Choose "Flash zip from sdcard"

29) Apply zip "gapps-passion-EPF30-signed.zip"

30) Reboot into your newly rooted phone!

Attachments

• ROOT_FRF83.zip
    2 MB · Views: 2,568
Last edited:

kaiser_tytnii

Nov 15, 2007
Toronto
thanks! is there any specific reason why it has to be FRF83 or FRF72 if you know? for us AT&T Nexus User stuck on EPE54B, shouldn't we be able to do the same? or the ota.zip is different in that sense? Please give us some insight. thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

lostinatlanta

Jun 19, 2010
Atlanta
4) With phone attached through microUSB, enter Recovery with the battery cover OFF and the SDcard REMOVED.
- Tip: Be careful not to let the battery fall out during this process

5) When you see the HTC devices attached in recovery mode, hit Ctrl+C

6) Slide in SDcard (Make sure there is no update.zip on it at this point)
- Tip: It should slide in and click VERY easily if you trimmed the tab on the battery properly

7) On your phone, press Power + Volume Up

8) Choose "Apply update.zip from SDcard"
- Tip: It will fail, but that is expected.

9) In your terminal type "adb push flash_image /sdcard/flash_image" and hit Enter

Still getting either adb with no sd, or sd with no adb.

When I follow your exact process, apply "sdcard:update.zip" returns

"-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
(No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount SDCARD:update.zip
Installation aborted."

and then "adb push flash_image /sdcard/flash_image" returns

"failed to copy 'ota.zip' to '/sdcard/flash_image':permission denied".

These are the exact same returns I get when I tried the process without a card inserted, which is what leads me to believe the card is in but not mounted.

Is there a way to tell adb to (re)mount the SD card in recovery?

Constrabus

Jun 19, 2009
NYC
Make sure that you are inserting the sdcard BEFORE you press Power and Volume Up to reveal the recovery options and AFTER you get adb connected in recovery mode with loop.

Also make sure you can get adb working while in android to make sure the driver is installed properly.

Still getting either adb with no sd, or sd with no adb.

When I follow your exact process, apply "sdcard:update.zip" returns

"-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
(No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount SDCARD:update.zip
Installation aborted."

and then "adb push flash_image /sdcard/flash_image" returns

"failed to copy 'ota.zip' to '/sdcard/flash_image':permission denied".

These are the exact same returns I get when I tried the process without a card inserted, which is what leads me to believe the card is in but not mounted.

Is there a way to tell adb to (re)mount the SD card in recovery?

kaiser_tytnii

Nov 15, 2007
Toronto
weird thing is adb devices do not see my phone even without SD card...
guess froyo is a must to get this working?
i am on EPE54B, still...

adambenjamin

Jun 17, 2010
Los Angeles
I now have an unlocked, newly unrooted FRF83. Will this tutorial still work for me?

t mobile usa 3g network, stock recovery image. I think I am unrooted because there was a warning in the tutorial and my adb shell denies super user permissions.

Constrabus

Jun 19, 2009
NYC
weird thing is adb devices do not see my phone even without SD card...
guess froyo is a must to get this working?
i am on EPE54B, still...

This guide is for people stuck on FRF83 because you can't revert to the older build where other guides worked.

I now have an unlocked, newly unrooted FRF83. Will this tutorial still work for me?

t mobile usa 3g network, stock recovery image. I think I am unrooted because there was a warning in the tutorial and my adb shell denies super user permissions.

If you are unlocked, this guide would be redundant for you. The purpose of this guide is to root without having to unlock, thus preserving your warranty.

what25

Apr 4, 2008
Based on you providing links for recovery-RA-nexus-v.1.7.0.1.img, update-CM-5.0.8-N1-signed.zip, google addon EPF30; will the steps involving these install Cyanogen on my phone?
I was hoping to do this process without wiping my phone's memory and keeping my stock FRF83.

madj42

Jun 23, 2010
Minnesota
Based on you providing links for recovery-RA-nexus-v.1.7.0.1.img, update-CM-5.0.8-N1-signed.zip, google addon EPF30; will the steps involving these install Cyanogen on my phone?
I was hoping to do this process without wiping my phone's memory and keeping my stock FRF83.

If you don't want the Cyanogen ROM or RA recovery just skip step #22 and stop with step #24. I didn't follow this tutorial as I did Booker-T's method with some tweaks but if you do what I said you should be fine.

DiviousD006

Jul 25, 2009
Colorado Springs
If you don't want the Cyanogen ROM or RA recovery just skip step #22 and stop with step #24. I didn't follow this tutorial as I did Booker-T's method with some tweaks but if you do what I said you should be fine.
You dont have to use that rom, you can flash any other rom as long as you have root. Paul obrien offeres a rooted FRF83 rom

Last edited:

CMUKyle

Jun 22, 2010
I was able to do this without taking out / putting the SD card in (and thus avoided filing down my battery. I didn't run "loop.bat" until I was highlighting the Recovery icon, the ran it, when into Recovery, and adb picked it up.

vigan8

Feb 16, 2009
Worked perfect!
Just, when flashing recovery, the better terminal emulator was giving me an error, i used Rom Manager to flash the recovery, and back to terminal to rm /system/etc/ blah blah ....GREAT Tutorial!