Rogers Mandatory Update

Search This thread

j.lai

Jan 3, 2010
For us Magic users who have rooted our HTC Magics and flashed a new rom on it, would it be mandatory for us to update to their rom?

shael

Sep 13, 2007
Toronto
no need for rooted users to upgrade... i believe the upgrade is just to fix the gps 911 issue. us rooted users dont experience that

Edit: Custom rom users

itsawrap

Dec 13, 2009
it's the sense ui upgrade as well.. and apparently one month of free data fees

Last edited:

g00gler

Nov 1, 2009
Hmm according to the screenshot on the HTC website is shows Build number 3.05.631.7 which looks to be newest one I can find.

mafiakid

Dec 18, 2009
we need someone to verify what SPL is included with this update. I won't be updating my phone. I don't want to loose root

Taknarosh

Aug 6, 2009
Montreal
Yeah that's all fine and nice that we aren't affected with custom ROMs but did you guys not read the fine print?

Customers who have not downloaded this software update could have problems accessing 911. As a result, we are taking the precautionary measure of temporarily disabling internet access for Dream and Magic users on Sunday January 24 at 6:00AM (EST). Voice and text messaging will not be impacted. By disabling internet access, we can ensure that 911 calls are completed for all our Dream and Magic customers. Once a customer completes the software update, his/her internet access will be re-enabled within 24 hours.

daeshawn

Mar 5, 2008
Toronto
Yeah that's all fine and nice that we aren't affected with custom ROMs but did you guys not read the fine print?

Customers who have not downloaded this software update could have problems accessing 911. As a result, we are taking the precautionary measure of temporarily disabling internet access for Dream and Magic users on Sunday January 24 at 6:00AM (EST). Voice and text messaging will not be impacted. By disabling internet access, we can ensure that 911 calls are completed for all our Dream and Magic customers. Once a customer completes the software update, his/her internet access will be re-enabled within 24 hours.
hmm very strange so basically they are forcing everyone to update ...interesting...

fatcow167

Jul 27, 2007
does anyone know if rogers is able to check your build?

becuase in the instruction manual below step 4.

"Refer to the image and note the build number version listed. if you have the same build number version there is no need to update this software."

DaMonk

Sep 17, 2009
I looked inside the update file's rom.zip files and it appears to have a 1.76.0010
SPL

kimchi0400

Sep 9, 2009
Well it's about time we got the Sense UI update... but I don't like the idea of being forced to update and getting perfected spl. I'll hold off on it until I get my internet disconnected.

The RUU has radio version 6.35.10.18, build 3.05.631.7... hmm

Dazog

Sep 30, 2009
hboot_7200A_1.76.0010_100114.nb0

Radio_Signed_Sapphire_63.18.55.06K_6.35.10.18.img

more info soonish

DaMonk

Sep 17, 2009
i uploaded to my work's temp data storage web server

Code:
URL no longer available

I can't add url's apparently so just copy and paste.

Last edited:

DaMonk

Sep 17, 2009
Hopefully i won't get one as I already have a 1.6 rom loaded.
Rogers must have a way to verify connected phones rom versions.

smlt

Jan 23, 2010
does anyone know if rogers is able to check your build?

becuase in the instruction manual below step 4.

"Refer to the image and note the build number version listed. if you have the same build number version there is no need to update this software."

I just phoned in and asked about the update. The fella didn't seem TOO savvy about it at all - he didn't know what a custom rom was.

He did, however, say that rogers is able to check what version you have through your "IP when you connect", and he wasn't 100% sure about what would happen to custom roms.

Frankly I'd take it with a grain of salt.