Will Google go all Anit-Root on CC like Apple with iOS?

Search This thread

SomeGuy2008

Aug 22, 2008
What is the likelihood of Google going all "Anti-Root" on the ChromeCast like Apple does with iOS? I mean just about every android device has been and is currently rootable for the most part. I knows rooting can be considered a "security threat if misused and all.

~SG

fabi280

Oct 20, 2010
Karlsruhe
They fixed the first hole pretty fast, so I guess they will do the same with the 2nd hole.
An open media player can be difficult due to licencing issues...

Jun 13, 2013
I agree with the previous post on that Google will try to block Chromecast root. But, anyway, I think it's still an awesome device.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
If you ask me...Google has definitely been diligent at securing the device from being rooted. I mean it's almost a year since the last root window opened up and closed.

They definitely learned a thing or two from Motorola about locking up devices!

They have to at least appear to be doing something about securing the device since support from the various content providers is dependent on that security.
A lesson they learned with the Google TV debacle.

Unlike Google TV without content this CCast dongle is worthless!

So yes they will try and do whatever they can to patch up any root exploit they can.

Reactions: SomeGuy2008

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
As long as the content providers remain paranoid about piracy, the big G will have to do what they need to in order to make sure there's still content to play via Chromecast.

SomeGuy2008

Aug 22, 2008
As long as the content providers remain paranoid about piracy, the big G will have to do what they need to in order to make sure there's still content to play via Chromecast.

I agree. But how does the ChromeCast differ in that respect to a Android Tablet or Phone? Im sure that content providers care about piracy on those devices running android.

~SG

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
I agree. But how does the ChromeCast differ in that respect to a Android Tablet or Phone? Im sure that content providers care about piracy on those devices running android.
A tablet and phone can do other things than simply play media.

Chromecast minus the media leaves screen mirroring - but only for semi-recent and supported devices. That's not a market of millions of units, otherwise the folks selling Miracast devices would be rich and making shinier products.

(Stock) Chromecast has no interface, no way to sideload apps, and requires applications to support it in their code. Take the Chromecast-enabled apps away and you don't have much left, especially up against the Miracast devices.

rydako

Mar 18, 2014

~SG

The chromecast is built for, and solely marketed as a online media streaming stick. Google needs to show content providers that they are passionate about making their device a secure hardware solution for online media, otherwise if new content providers do not develop for the Chromecast, or current ones opt out Google would have lost the sole purpose of their device.

Android itself is generally easy to unlock devices bootloaders, gain root access and install custom roms, it was designed like that. While the chromecast was locked down. Google are taking a completely different approach to the Chromecast, than they did for their nexus line or Stock android in general.

Last edited:

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
It really comes down to numbers vs risk.

The solution is to use DRM to protect the content. Pretty easy on a Phone/Tab due to it's beefier processor but not so much on a CCast other than using the built in DRM which could be vulnerable if someone with root access messed with it. On a phone you could create your own DRM system inside the app and even run a root check to deny the app from running which many have chosen to do. In essence that is precisely what Netflix does! And it should be noted that Netflix runs differently on CCast than all the other Receiver apps we see.

While they would probably be more comfortable not supporting Android due to it's rootable nature, when 85% of your target audience is running it it's a little difficult to ignore. Not so much the case with CCast at this point. and without their support it never will capture a majority of the audience.

Truth is the major holdup to content support seems to be the duality required to make CCast work. Not only do you have to code a receiver app for the CCast but you have to build the control and Dial functions into the Mobile app as well to send content to it.

Most media companies aren't this savvy to wrap their heads around that which makes CCast support almost an afterthought.

But back to your question...Yes they are plenty concerned with root on phones and tabs but to deny them means cutting off the lionshare of your target audience. Not the case with CCast at this point and since content is all it does they have some leverage to ignore it if they want until they are sure it is piracy proof.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A tablet and phone can do other things than simply play media.

Chromecast minus the media leaves screen mirroring - but only for semi-recent and supported devices. That's not a market of millions of units, otherwise the folks selling Miracast devices would be rich and making shinier products.

(Stock) Chromecast has no interface, no way to sideload apps, and requires applications to support it in their code. Take the Chromecast-enabled apps away and you don't have much left, especially up against the Miracast devices.
    If you ask me...Google has definitely been diligent at securing the device from being rooted. I mean it's almost a year since the last root window opened up and closed.

They definitely learned a thing or two from Motorola about locking up devices!

They have to at least appear to be doing something about securing the device since support from the various content providers is dependent on that security.
    A lesson they learned with the Google TV debacle.

Unlike Google TV without content this CCast dongle is worthless!

So yes they will try and do whatever they can to patch up any root exploit they can.