How Strong Is The HTC Evo 4G Screen?

Search This thread
Nov 27, 2011
Just got a HTC Evo 4G last week. I've had it in the Otterbox Defender case since day one. Lately, I've been trying to find a screen protector that covers the whole face of the phone. I've been unsuccessful in doing that. But, a guy was telling me that without a screen protector, the Evo's screen is hard to scratch. He told me that if I kept the phone in the Otterbox (which has a screen protector of it's own), that the phone would most likely never scratch.

Is there any truth to this?

alxrock

Aug 17, 2010
Tampa
Just got a HTC Evo 4G last week. I've had it in the Otterbox Defender case since day one. Lately, I've been trying to find a screen protector that covers the whole face of the phone. I've been unsuccessful in doing that. But, a guy was telling me that without a screen protector, the Evo's screen is hard to scratch. He told me that if I kept the phone in the Otterbox (which has a screen protector of it's own), that the phone would most likely never scratch.

Gorilla Glass is used for the Evo's screen and it's super durable. I used to use a screen protector (which ended up getting pretty scratched up), but I've been going without one for about 6 months and my screen is fine. I guess I really never needed the screen protector in the first place.

Reactions: JD2589

a senile fungus

May 25, 2010
Where does it say that's the Evo's screen is gorilla glass?

I've never read that anywhere.

It certainly may be difficult to scratch but that doesn't make it gorilla glass.

@op
My brother had his evo in the otterbox and some sand got in between the screen protector and the screen and it wreaked havoc. It was extremely scratched...

You can buy some cheap screen protectors on eBay for a couple bucks.

~ I'm a fungi

alxrock

Aug 17, 2010
Tampa

It certainly may be difficult to scratch but that doesn't make it gorilla glass.

Gorilla Glass website here under HTC
The EVO 4G, EVO 3D and EVO Shift all are listed.

I didn't know that it was Gorilla Glass for the first year of owning my EVO, but was relieved when I found out. Since then, I've been going without a screen protector.

Last edited:

aaronagis

Jun 25, 2011
Salem
strong enough?

One of my friends got into a motorcycle accident with his EVO in his pocket, and the phone was literally curved like a C shape from the impact, the screen was all cracked, but still continued to function okay... haha

_TXN_

Jan 8, 2011
I landscaped all summer and my Evo screen was scratched pretty badly. Don't let anybody tell you that an Evo screen cannot be scratched.

bjones.2385

Dec 5, 2011
Martin
Pretty Damn Strong!

I've dropoped my phone four times and all Ive done is ding up the sides but I will say you can't throw it at a pole I tried and the screen did not succeed I was out a hundred dollars for insurance payment. THe evo is one strong phone that just keeps giving.

Nov 27, 2011
Well, I wasn't asking this because I planned on using my EVO for anything extreme. I asked to see whether or not putting a screen protector on while using an otterboor a ballistic case was a big deal.

alxrock

Aug 17, 2010
Tampa
Well, I wasn't asking this because I planned on using my EVO for anything extreme. I asked to see whether or not putting a screen protector on while using an otterboor a ballistic case was a big deal.

I would say in the end it depends on what you do with your phone. I keep mine in my pocket (not with my keys or change or anything that could scratch the screen) most of the day and am mindful about where I set my phone, so I go without the screen protector.

If your phone is more exposed to things that will scratch it up, then I'd say grab a screen protector.

My wife keeps a screen protector on hers, since she keeps hers in her purse and it tends to get jumbled around with her keys and such.

The screen is tough and scratch resistant, but not scratch proof. You'd probably be safe from light scratches.

1FstYOTA

Oct 21, 2008
Screen is strong lcd is not, punched the **** out of it one time the glass was fine LCD shattered.

DonSolo

May 3, 2010
Warren,MI
The evo 4g's screen is strong!! I ran my evo over (by accident of course) and the screen DID crack but it worked perfectly fine! The evo will last under all basic drops, bams, and ninks lol!! There isn't a cellphone out today that can last under extreme conditions like being nuked, motor accidents, being fired at upon a firing squad, OF COURSE lol

P_M_G

Oct 27, 2011
Orange County CA
I wonder if the Gorilla Glass is only on the newer hardware spec models since I don't remember this being mentioned when I bought mine shortly after release. that site quoted also lists the Epic 4G which my wife and daughter have and I notice that theirs also seems to be more reistant to fingerprint smudges, while my OG Evo needs a wipedown after any use at all...

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
Sand is actually silica not quartz, some sand is up to 90% calcium from coral skeletons but over time that calcium becomes silica
Edit: BTW silica heated and pressed/rolled = glass that's why sand will tear the hell out of glass its fine rough edged and very hard at that size silica crystals are very hard compared to most minerals not quite as hard as diamond but on the upper middle of the scale

Sent From My EViLizED-iCS-EVo4G

Last edited:
Reactions: a senile fungus

BrImStOnE UnLeAsHeD

Sep 7, 2011
Dallas
Dropped mine out of my shirt pocket last night like ive done probably a hundred times, only this time the screen cracked. Surprised me because ive dropped from higher up on harder surfaces. Mine survived a lot of beatings without anything

Also only ever got one scratch through it all and my keys were the culprit. Had my Evo for about year

Last edited:

popprm

Jan 17, 2011
About a month ago I dropped my phone from less then 2ft off the group. Completely shattered the entire screen. Thankfully my Zagg kept all the tiny peices together and it worked without a hitch. 50 bucks later and I had a new replacment in and I did the swap myself. This new glass feels more durable.

It however is *NOT* Gorilla Glass.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Gorilla Glass website here under HTC
    The EVO 4G, EVO 3D and EVO Shift all are listed.

I didn't know that it was Gorilla Glass for the first year of owning my EVO, but was relieved when I found out. Since then, I've been going without a screen protector.

Gorilla Glass is used for the Evo's screen and it's super durable. I used to use a screen protector (which ended up getting pretty scratched up), but I've been going without one for about 6 months and my screen is fine. I guess I really never needed the screen protector in the first place.
    Sand is actually silica not quartz, some sand is up to 90% calcium from coral skeletons but over time that calcium becomes silica
    Edit: BTW silica heated and pressed/rolled = glass that's why sand will tear the hell out of glass its fine rough edged and very hard at that size silica crystals are very hard compared to most minerals not quite as hard as diamond but on the upper middle of the scale

Sent From My EViLizED-iCS-EVo4G
    I'd like to think that Sprint would have advertised the EVO 4g as having Gorilla Glass. That's a major selling point. I'm curious if revisions after initial release got it because they had complaints about screen durability.