Wi-Fi MAC address changing

Search This thread
We Have 2 coolpad f1's from China running MTK6592 Octa Core and both have the same Mac address and I need to change one, have tried all of the spoofing tools that I can find and the phone will not allow the change.

Have tried a couple of methods for permanent change, changing mac address via hex editor and saving, + via terminal emulator changing the mac but the phone just puts it back to the original one. Also tried a method from a Chinese forum which also fails.

I found a comment to delete the NVRAM and let it reinstall.....did not work.

Have tried two different custom rom's which have both have different mac addresses, so guess the mac address must be able to be altered by the ROM.

Downloaded "Adam77root" Kernel mac change ZIP which I have not got a clue what to do with. Any ideas gratefully received..........

Dramadeur

Oct 23, 2011
As far as I understand, I'd need to patch my kernel, right? Because I don't have the folder called "drivers".
Right now I have a stock firmware 4.4.2, kernel 3.40-1125940.
How do I flash your kernel? Via Odin?

Frizz74

Sep 15, 2011
Changing a MAC address is in no way illegal. The MAC address is only transferred from your device to the access point and can't go anywhere further, it's use is restriced on the first hop. However, if a router traces MAC addresses and stores them, the address itself may shows up in the log file and may be used for further processing.
However there's technically no risk in changing the MAC address to access a certain hotspot.

anupritaisno1

Apr 29, 2014
Hey bro can u explain this in a more simpler manner...I'm a newbie here and i need this! bcuz my brother alwayz blocks my wifi mac address so i cannot access wifi. I hav a rooted Samsung galaxy ace s5830 using cm 10.1 rc4......thanks in advance!:good:
If you're new then try pri fi by chainfire. however, this is the best method on xda. (if you can understand it)

mdrodge

Jun 13, 2010
I'm guessing this could also work with Bluetooth (seems pointless but Hay)
I've got a question (obviously not phone related but more like general android and specifically TV box)
Sorry If I'm in the wrong thread but I've got no were else to turn for the minute.

Is this possible with a LAN Mac address?
I'm guessing maybe device/efs/lan or something along that line?

Will probably try tonight anyway because after firmware I've not got LAN working.
Device is rk3368 z4

thekingboloss

Sep 24, 2017
Hello everybody!

I have managed to change the Wi-Fi MAC address of my device and now I share this technique with you. With this method, you can change your address permanently!

What is a MAC address?
A Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to network interfaces for communications on the physical network segment. It may also be known as a burned-in address, an Ethernet hardware address (EHA), hardware address or physical address. (Source: Wikipedia)

Why would somebody change his/her MAC address?
- To access the internet where it is restricted to particular addresses.
- To hide his/her illegal activity. (Though this is not effective enough since the Android system sends product information and a lot of other things to the Google servers and I'm sure that previous IP addresses could be searched for if somebody does something really nasty.)

Is it legal to change the MAC address?
As far as I know, it is. However, I firmly discourage you on doing anything illegal with changed/unchanged MAC.

Let's do it!
What do you need?
- A rooted device.
- A kernel with MAC address changing support. (I include my ICS kernel (version 3.1.10) for those who want to try it out and the method of implementing it into other custom kernels.)
- A file manager that can explore the root filesystem.

How does this exactly work?
Normally, the Wi-Fi driver gets the MAC address from the built-in chip then it writes the address to '/efs/wifi/.mac.info' and '/data/.mac.info'. This is the original burned-in address. This cannot be changed with software modifications, but only by soldering off the chip from the motherboard and rewriting its contents. Our Wi-Fi device is a Broadcom BCM4330. It has very good built-in features and the open source driver can be found in our kernel sources.

There are two different options in the driver (READ_MACADDR and RDWR_MACADDR (actually, there is a WRITE_MACADDR option too, which stands for creating the two files I have mentioned before)), which enable us changing the address. I tested both and found READ_MACADDR better. By enabling it in the kernel, you get some options regarding MAC changing.

Before you change your MAC address in any way, turn off Wi-Fi! I recommend writing down your original address somewhere (just to be extra secured). You can always return to your original one using the second method (read further) or by flashing a kernel that doesn't have the patch.

- If you flash a patched kernel and delete the '/efs/wifi/.mac.info' file, the driver will generate (!!) a custom MAC address based on some predefined rules (The first 24 bits are common in all generated addresses.).
- Of course you can set your own custom MAC address. Do this by editing the '/efs/wifi/.mac.info' file with a file manager. If you change it to an incorrect address, the system will automatically use the original (burned-in) MAC.

For kernel developers who want to enable this:
Find '#define WRITE_MACADDR' after '#ifdef CONFIG_MACH_N1' in 'drivers/net/wireless/bcmdhd/src/dhd/sys/dhd_sec_feature.h' and insert '#define READ_MACADDR' after that line. This is for ICS kernels (version 3.1.10), but the patch must work on GB ones too. You just have to insert the define somewhere else (I didn't look into this.).
(I count on you guys in implementing this! :))

I attach my prebuilt (secure, MMC_ERASE_CAP disabled) kernel for trying out this feature. It is an ICS kernel (version 3.1.10).

Every custom modification to devices have risks. Use this at your own risk!

Have fun and enjoy! :)
Hey !
I'm on cm12.1 on a lenovo zuk z1 and I can't find /efs folder.
Help !
Thank you anyway for this post.

greatogreat

Dec 16, 2017
Is there any chance we could get this to work with other devices who use the bcmdhd wireless driver?

I found out that reading the MAC address from /efs/.mac.info seems to be the default mechanism in many stock ROMs for other Galaxy devices. I can say that this file also resides there for my GT-I9505 ("jfltexx") and I've read somewhere else that this is also the standard mechanism in GT-I9506 ("ks01lte") stock ROMs.

While it seems that Adam77Root readded this functionality in the GT-I9103's ("n1") CM 10 kernel, it wasn't in the ks01lte's CM 12 kernel and it doesn't seem to be in the LOS 14.1 kernel for the JF device family.

Could anyone more knowledgeable than me have a look at the kernel sources?

md.shaheer.c

May 5, 2018
Is it possible to change sony experia android mac address

Can you help me to change mac address of my Sony experia
Awiat oyhr faveroble response

Thanks!

Just tried patching the kernel, it works! So, this feature will be included in my next kernel.

Before flashing the patched kernel, when I turn off wifi, delete .mac.info file, re-enable wifi, the MAC address is not changed.

However, after flashing the patched kernel, after I turn off wifi, delete .mac.info file and re-enable wifi, the MAC address is changed!

Thanks very much for the useful guideline from Adam77Root :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everybody!

I have managed to change the Wi-Fi MAC address of my device and now I share this technique with you. With this method, you can change your address permanently!

What is a MAC address?
    A Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to network interfaces for communications on the physical network segment. It may also be known as a burned-in address, an Ethernet hardware address (EHA), hardware address or physical address. (Source: Wikipedia)

Why would somebody change his/her MAC address?
    - To access the internet where it is restricted to particular addresses.
    - To hide his/her illegal activity. (Though this is not effective enough since the Android system sends product information and a lot of other things to the Google servers and I'm sure that previous IP addresses could be searched for if somebody does something really nasty.)

Is it legal to change the MAC address?
    As far as I know, it is. However, I firmly discourage you on doing anything illegal with changed/unchanged MAC.

Let's do it!
    What do you need?
    - A rooted device.
    - A kernel with MAC address changing support. (I include my ICS kernel (version 3.1.10) for those who want to try it out and the method of implementing it into other custom kernels.)
    - A file manager that can explore the root filesystem.

How does this exactly work?
    Normally, the Wi-Fi driver gets the MAC address from the built-in chip then it writes the address to '/efs/wifi/.mac.info' and '/data/.mac.info'. This is the original burned-in address. This cannot be changed with software modifications, but only by soldering off the chip from the motherboard and rewriting its contents. Our Wi-Fi device is a Broadcom BCM4330. It has very good built-in features and the open source driver can be found in our kernel sources.

There are two different options in the driver (READ_MACADDR and RDWR_MACADDR (actually, there is a WRITE_MACADDR option too, which stands for creating the two files I have mentioned before)), which enable us changing the address. I tested both and found READ_MACADDR better. By enabling it in the kernel, you get some options regarding MAC changing.

Before you change your MAC address in any way, turn off Wi-Fi! I recommend writing down your original address somewhere (just to be extra secured). You can always return to your original one using the second method (read further) or by flashing a kernel that doesn't have the patch.

- If you flash a patched kernel and delete the '/efs/wifi/.mac.info' file, the driver will generate (!!) a custom MAC address based on some predefined rules (The first 24 bits are common in all generated addresses.).
    - Of course you can set your own custom MAC address. Do this by editing the '/efs/wifi/.mac.info' file with a file manager. If you change it to an incorrect address, the system will automatically use the original (burned-in) MAC.

For kernel developers who want to enable this:
    Find '#define WRITE_MACADDR' after '#ifdef CONFIG_MACH_N1' in 'drivers/net/wireless/bcmdhd/src/dhd/sys/dhd_sec_feature.h' and insert '#define READ_MACADDR' after that line. This is for ICS kernels (version 3.1.10), but the patch must work on GB ones too. You just have to insert the define somewhere else (I didn't look into this.).
    (I count on you guys in implementing this! :))

I attach my prebuilt (secure, MMC_ERASE_CAP disabled) kernel for trying out this feature. It is an ICS kernel (version 3.1.10).

Every custom modification to devices have risks. Use this at your own risk!

Have fun and enjoy! :)
    Is it possible to port this to nexus 7 wifi edition with Dirty Aokp rom? :confused:
    I already have this on my r with cm10.1 kernel
    Sent from my GT-I9103 using Tapatalk 2

I have looked into the sources of your Wi-Fi driver (the same BCMDHD) and it seems it doesn't support it. Maybe this is a Samsung-only feature.
    Thanks!

Just tried patching the kernel, it works! So, this feature will be included in my next kernel.

Before flashing the patched kernel, when I turn off wifi, delete .mac.info file, re-enable wifi, the MAC address is not changed.

However, after flashing the patched kernel, after I turn off wifi, delete .mac.info file and re-enable wifi, the MAC address is changed!

Thanks very much for the useful guideline from Adam77Root :good:
    Hey bro can u explain this in a more simpler manner...I'm a newbie here and i need this! bcuz my brother alwayz blocks my wifi mac address so i cannot access wifi. I hav a rooted Samsung galaxy ace s5830 using cm 10.1 rc4......thanks in advance!:good:

If kernel supports only we change the WIFI MAC Address, we can not use it on all the kernels...
    Hello,

Is it possible on Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100 ?

thanks ;)

Just have taken a look into your kernel sources and it seems it is.

Check this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=37299543
    Somebody will surely compile a kernel for you.