Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
I have some questions regarding TWRP.

Context: Recently, a Vietnamese manufacturer, Vsmart, bought the intellectual rights for the BQ Aquaris C, and subsequently released the very similar Vsmart Joy 1 . Note that it has a different SoC (SD425 vs SD435) and bigger RAM (2GB vs 3GB).

Q1: Can I root the Vsmart Joy 1 using the same method as the BQ Aquaris C, with the same TWRP?

Q2: If not, where do I get help creating a compatible TWRP version?

No, devices with different SoC can not use the same TWRP, sometimes, even when the devices have the same SoC, TWRP doesn't work for both of them.

Typically, TWRP has to be built for the specific model number.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi, my question is which one?

If you refer to the first link for official updates is not a great deal, it would be from 2.2.1 to 2.3.6, download an app called Phone Info for Samsung and choose one according your CSC or if you don't find it one from the same region could work.

And if you want some newer firmware in the second link go to some threads, just pay attention that the rom is for your same model, read carefully the instructions and do it.

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I have some questions regarding TWRP.

Context: Recently, a Vietnamese manufacturer, Vsmart, bought the intellectual rights for the BQ Aquaris C, and subsequently released the very similar Vsmart Joy 1 . Note that it has a different SoC (SD425 vs SD435) and bigger RAM (2GB vs 3GB).

Q1: Can I root the Vsmart Joy 1 using the same method as the BQ Aquaris C, with the same TWRP?

Q2: If not, where do I get help creating a compatible TWRP version?

No, devices with different SoC can not use the same TWRP, sometimes, even when the devices have the same SoC, TWRP doesn't work for both of them.

Typically, TWRP has to be built for the specific model number.

This should be obvious as can be. Of course not.
Having the same SoC of course doesn't make a difference. If it did, then the HTC U12+ TWRP version, or the LG V30 version would work with the Pixel 2XL. Same chipset. different software.

EDIT: You could more than likely be able to port it. Do some research if you have the motivation to do so, and build your own version of TWRP for it. If it worked on the old brand, diff it out with Beyond Compare.

Last edited:

tape_256

May 30, 2019
Getting acces to /data

Hi,
I'd like to edit some data files of one of my app. I read that this data is stored in /data/data.
I don't have root, so I can't access this directory. However my app can access /data/data.
Isn't it wierd that app installed on my phone has got more access than I do?

Isn't some way of faking UID of my app?
Can I somehow pretend that I'm the app? :cool:

Thanks for answers
:eek::eek:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Hi,
I'd like to edit some data files of one of my app. I read that this data is stored in /data/data.
I don't have root, so I can't access this directory. However my app can access /data/data.
Isn't it wierd that app installed on my phone has got more access than I do?

Isn't some way of faking UID of my app?
Can I somehow pretend that I'm the app? :cool:

Thanks for answers
:eek::eek:

It doesn't work that way, the USER can not change anything in /data/data without root, regardless of what app has access to what. The app has permission to change its own data as it is needed for itself to function, this does not mean it has the ability to change what you want as you want.

It doesn't work that way, the USER can not change anything in /data/data without root, regardless of what app has access to what. The app has permission to change its own data as it is needed for itself to function, this does not mean it has the ability to change what you want as you want.

funny you are answering this question as I'm just looking for precisely this kind of thing at the moment. If you edit some data files as I understand some will default back to their factory settings (lack of better terms) each time the device reboots. And I only know that because here comes my problem. To an extent I can edit some of the settings in data/misc/wifi like wpa_supplicant.conf. like I can add a setting here and a setting there but if I try to change any of the existing ones they default every time the device reboots. Apparently because of update_config=1 now these same files also as overlay configurations exist in system/etc/wifi. I have been able to edit these files and also remove the update configuration line that causes them to default at least that's what my research has told me. So in theory I should be able to do the same to the other files in the data section and then be done with the edits I want to do. however these files also default that configuration back to its original setting every time the device reboots so no matter what I change in those files in the original form they will default back to the original. I've looked through the boot image and I do not see these files in there and there may be some init settings as well and I've looked over most of them but nothing has stood out. What I need to do is edit these files remove some of the configurations so the damn wifi will stop connecting and reconnecting all the time.

YiNiX

May 21, 2014
Sarajevo
My phone wont turn on, even in recovery or download mode since I flashed stock ROM on low battery (5-6%) since my battery is leaking and I did it because it was stuck in loop. Should I wait and hope it charges itself and shows battery charging thingy?

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
funny you are answering this question as I'm just looking for precisely this kind of thing at the moment. If you edit some data files as I understand some will default back to their factory settings (lack of better terms) each time the device reboots. And I only know that because here comes my problem. To an extent I can edit some of the settings in data/misc/wifi like wpa_supplicant.conf. like I can add a setting here and a setting there but if I try to change any of the existing ones they default every time the device reboots. Apparently because of update_config=1 now these same files also as overlay configurations exist in system/etc/wifi. I have been able to edit these files and also remove the update configuration line that causes them to default at least that's what my research has told me. So in theory I should be able to do the same to the other files in the data section and then be done with the edits I want to do. however these files also default that configuration back to its original setting every time the device reboots so no matter what I change in those files in the original form they will default back to the original. I've looked through the boot image and I do not see these files in there and there may be some init settings as well and I've looked over most of them but nothing has stood out. What I need to do is edit these files remove some of the configurations so the damn wifi will stop connecting and reconnecting all the time.
There is more than likely a way to make your changes without reverting back to stock state, I have tried to help other members that had the same trouble with editing and preventing reversion but I don't remember exactly what they had to do to prevent reversion during reboot.

It's a bit deeper than just root and permissive mode, I seem to remember something about them having to edit their files while booted intoTWRP instead of while booted into system or via adb while in system.

Seems you are having issues with how frequently your device is using its Wi-Fi rescan feature or with Wi-Fi/mobile data handoff.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

You can go to that thread and find the offensive posts and report those posts to the moderators by using the report feature.

Where the report feature is located depends on whether you are using mobile browser(and/or the XDA theme being used) or whether you are using an app(and/or which app being used).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam Nakamura

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
I'm on the XDA Labs app, I don't think there is a report button
It isn't evident, no, that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Try selecting the post as if you're about to reply to it but instead of tapping reply, select the post to highlight it, then tap the menu button and a list should pop-up with "Report" listed as an option on the list.

You can also open the thread in question, then tap menu and select the "web view" option, then you'll see the orange/yellow triangle in the border around the posts, find the offensive post and tap the triangle in its border, this will open the report feature.

As I stated, "where" the report feature is located depends on what you're using to view the forum, there is a report feature somewhere, you just have to "look" for it, I don't mean look for it with your eyes, I mean you have to actually select things and look at all possible menus and options.

Last edited:

clofan

Jan 9, 2011
The stock emoji on LineageOS (or AOSP) is awful. How do I download/flash a different one?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

clofan

Jan 9, 2011
Mainly because of pages and pages of stuff like this between the faces and the hands.Screenshot_20190531-201411_Tapatalk.jpg

clofan

Jan 9, 2011
SwiftKey is a lot bit better on the emoji presentation, but I dislike the keyboard compared to AOSP [emoji58]

There is more than likely a way to make your changes without reverting back to stock state, I have tried to help other members that had the same trouble with editing and preventing reversion but I don't remember exactly what they had to do to prevent reversion during reboot.

It's a bit deeper than just root and permissive mode, I seem to remember something about them having to edit their files while booted intoTWRP instead of while booted into system or via adb while in system.

Seems you are having issues with how frequently your device is using its Wi-Fi rescan feature or with Wi-Fi/mobile data handoff.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

You can go to that thread and find the offensive posts and report those posts to the moderators by using the report feature.

Where the report feature is located depends on whether you are using mobile browser(and/or the XDA theme being used) or whether you are using an app(and/or which app being used).

Indeed. And the only thing I can gather is the cause is the configs in those locations. As far as I can tell otherwise, everything checks out.

Niloy_sarker

May 22, 2019
Hi, I want to know if there are any way to open files of otg storage(otg cable+card reader) directly. On my device, when i open a file from otg storage, it creates cache file to local storage(internal)...Actually the internal storage of my device is almost full & now i can't open big files from otg storage because there are not enough space to create cache files.Can anyone help me to open files from otg storage directly?
device info:
device name: symphony r20
Android version : 6.0

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

Hi, I want to know if there are any way to open files of otg storage(otg cable+card reader) directly. On my device, when i open a file from otg storage, it creates cache file to local storage(internal)...Actually the internal storage of my device is almost full & now i can't open big files from otg storage because there are not enough space to create cache files.Can anyone help me to open files from otg storage directly?
device info:
device name: symphony r20
Android version : 6.0

YiNiX

May 21, 2014
Sarajevo
Can someone tell me will usb jig help me with unrensponsive J5 Galaxy from 2015 it died on the end when the flash(stock) passed in the Odin.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Can someone tell me will usb jig help me with unrensponsive J5 Galaxy from 2015 it died on the end when the flash(stock) passed in the Odin.
It isn't guaranteed to work. It may or may not force your device into download mode, but it has worked on many devices that would not boot to download by normal methods.

Top Liked Posts