Notification LED confirmed

Search This thread

JMUT

Dec 31, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
Don't know if anybody else has noticed this but the Nexus 6 does have a notification LED inside the top speaker. Been messing around with Lightflow and I have got the light to light up under certain conditions.

uqwhOIa.jpg

Edit - Just so it's right at the top. This is what you need to know:

ok it actually seems to work quite well after a bit of experimenting in the adb shell.

You'll need root but with that try the following:

Choose root mode
run every command as root and
direct mode
Make sure "su"/superuser has access granted for all requests

Then go into lightflow, notification settings and you should have a
"mixer" option. Enable that and you should then see options to set the
red, green and blue leds and also an option to set their brightness.

The brightness is has a 255 max value (0 being off) - (255 max brightness) and it should work.

The led won't flash but you can mix them together to get different colors. Technically you don't need to use the mixer but there's more control with it from what I remember.

You will need the paid version of lightflow. The free version is not updated frequently and doesn't support all the required settings.

Also worth noting, that you can enable control of the "Charging" LED which is green only. If you use that LED, it's slightly brighter than using the standard "green" LED.

Also, brightness levels for the Charge LED are variable between 1 and 40. Over 40, it's no brighter.

The RGB LEDs seem to be on or off. I haven't seen any difference between brightness 1 and brightness 20 (or any other higher number, I just use 20 because the /sys/devices/leds-qpnp-f0067200/leds/red/max_brightness file indicates 20 is the max for this LED - it's 40 for the Charge LED)

Last edited:

JMUT

Dec 31, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
K, I think I have steps to reproduce. Looks like you have to enable "Root mode" and "Run every command as root" then enable control of the "charging" LED. Then set up a notification to use that LED. The light doesn't respond to the different blink settings. Always seems to be solid for a few seconds then flashing for a few then back to solid.

Last edited:

Moostafa29

Aug 19, 2013
Hayward, CA
K, I think I have steps to reproduce. Looks like you have to enable "Root mode" and Run every command as root" then enable control of the "charging" LED. Then set up a notification to use that LED. The light doesn't respond to the different blink settings. Always seems to be solid for a few seconds then flashing for a few then back to solid.

Awesome find! I'm assuming it's multicolored?

jayharper08

Retired Senior Moderator - The Troll Whisperer
Jan 7, 2008
The Dirty
K, I think I have steps to reproduce. Looks like you have to enable "Root mode" and Run every command as root" then enable control of the "charging" LED. Then set up a notification to use that LED. The light doesn't respond to the different blink settings. Always seems to be solid for a few seconds then flashing for a few then back to solid.

As long as we have the hardware, the software will come in time. :) Loving this! Great find.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk 2

seezar

Jun 5, 2010
The Moto X had one of those with the sole purpose to light up to indicate a charge when the battery was too depleted to power the screen to indicate charging. That's probably the reason it is here as well.

arcanexvi

Aug 22, 2010
Hoffman Estates, IL
Awesome find! I'm assuming it's multicolored?

I doubt it. Modern moto devices have used a green/orange/red led as a backup to indicate charging when the battery is too critical to illuminate the panel. Same as the Moto X 2013/14, Droid MAXX, Droid Ultra as well as pretty much everything post RAZR HD. The exception being the Moto G which has a proper LED due to the LCD screen instead of AMOLED.

Still, nice find for those who want an alternative to ambient display.

Edit: Droid Mini had one iirc

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
As long as it can eventually be used to give me text/gmail/missed call notification, until I decide to check that notification even if it's 5 hours later, I am a happy camper. I don't even care if it is a single color. I am used to that from an old HTC device.

ebrown205

Nov 18, 2012
The original Moto X and accompanying Droids had this (not sure about current ones) It was able to be manipulated through tasker. Its original purpose was when the battery was too dead to turn on the screen for the charging animation. Originally, it was only able to be used for battery notifications (charging, charged) but I believe people found away to use it for notifications too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't know if anybody else has noticed this but the Nexus 6 does have a notification LED inside the top speaker. Been messing around with Lightflow and I have got the light to light up under certain conditions.

uqwhOIa.jpg

Edit - Just so it's right at the top. This is what you need to know:

ok it actually seems to work quite well after a bit of experimenting in the adb shell.

Choose root mode
    direct mode

The brightness is has a 255 max value (0 being off) - (255 max brightness) and it should work.

The led won't flash but you can mix them together to get different colors. Technically you don't need to use the mixer but there's more control with it from what I remember.

You will need the paid version of lightflow. The free version is not updated frequently and doesn't support all the required settings.

Also worth noting, that you can enable control of the "Charging" LED which is green only. If you use that LED, it's slightly brighter than using the standard "green" LED.

Also, brightness levels for the Charge LED are variable between 1 and 40. Over 40, it's no brighter.

The RGB LEDs seem to be on or off. I haven't seen any difference between brightness 1 and brightness 20 (or any other higher number, I just use 20 because the /sys/devices/leds-qpnp-f0067200/leds/red/max_brightness file indicates 20 is the max for this LED - it's 40 for the Charge LED)

Choose root mode
    direct mode

Agreed. I'm not loving Active Display either. Would love to switch it off and have this LED notify me instead. I also use Light Flow's repeating sounds feature in case I miss an SMS and I'm not looking at my phone.

I've got JMUT running some commands now to see what might work while I wait to get hold of my Nexus 6 here in the UK

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

It's seeming like red, green and blue are all possible (blue and red are quite dim compared with green) and I'm not sure how to go about getting the led to flash, it'll probably be an always on type led, but all progress I wasn't expecting!
    I love ambient display but I'll like a better notification for charging wirelessly.
    Is it possible for a custom LED app to tell the difference between regular charging and wirelessly?

Lightflow doesn't do this at the moment but it's certainly possible to detect the difference

---------- Post added at 06:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 AM ----------

Anyone else get this to work? This is very interesting that they have an led there and no one has ever heard about it. I have been messing with light flow but can't get it to work. Not rooted yet though either.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Free mobile app

Root is required as they've not added support into android for controlling the led so the drivers needs to be controlled directly which is only possible with root.

---------- Post added at 06:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 AM ----------

Yes it's multicoloured

---------- Post added at 06:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 AM ----------

More than those 3 colors should be possible. It seems possible to control the brightness of each red, green and blue led to some extent which when combined together will hopefully giveya mix of colors.
    With the next release due very soon, the default settings will work again and contact specific messenger notifications will too.