[App][4.2+] Widget Screensaver

Search This thread

Humpie

Recognized Developer

Wow amazing! I never found this one, too bad it's not in the play store anymore and not updated in this long...
I do like the multiple page system, so that the widgets alternate. Maybe that's something I'll implement as well. I however don't see a burn-in protected multi-widget option in the app, so that's something I could maybe do better :p
Anyways, first I have to finish the widget setup activity (which I'm currently working on), so that all widgets can be set-up and resized correctly

Humpie

Recognized Developer
v2.0 released!
Features
- New widget setup page! This allows setup for widgets like KWGT and for live resizing! Also widgets are not cut off anymore, so if your widget didn't work before, it likely works now
- Widget size is now in pixels, so they keep the same size when rotated
Bugfixes
- Anything I came across

For Huawei/Honor, see FAQ!

Thank you for all your positive reviews and tips.
And thank you most of all for your donations! It looks like Christmas came early for me :)
Happy holidays to all of you!

uudruid74

May 27, 2014
Kerens
eddon.systems
v2.0 released!
Features
- New widget setup page! This allows setup for widgets like KWGT and for live resizing! Also widgets are not cut off anymore, so if your widget didn't work before, it likely works now
Bugfixes
- Anything I came across

And thank you most of all for your donations! It looks like Christmas came early for me :)
Just reporting that it's working great now. Nice work

Reactions: Humpie

Humpie

Recognized Developer
Released v2.1!
Features
- New animation settings! It now moves like those old dvd video animations, but you can change the speed and pause length (or set it to 0 to have it always move)
- Added FAQ inside the app
Bugfixes
- Performance improvements in setup widget page

And thank you most of all for your donations!
Looking forward to the new year!
Edit: v2.2 now contains a "keep screen awake" switch, so turning that off allows the screen to dim after a while

Last edited:

jnss98b

Jul 25, 2018
NYC
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Released v2.1!
Features
- New animation settings! It now moves like those old dvd video animations, but you can change the speed and pause length (or set it to 0 to have it always move)
- Added FAQ inside the app
Bugfixes
- Performance improvements in setup widget page

And thank you most of all for your donations!
Looking forward to the new year!
Edit: v2.2 now contains a "keep screen awake" switch, so turning that off allows the screen to dim after a while

Great update! If it's possible, could you add more steps to the animation speed slider? It's still noticeable at 1 (for me at least)

brz44MI

Nov 13, 2012
Can't set up a widget on my Samsung Tab s3 running running Google beta Samsung 9 experience/Os 8.0??

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 using XDA Labs

Humpie

Recognized Developer
Awesome, thanks for taking suggestions! How do I support you if I got the app from xda labs? It keeps saying it's "not configured for billing through google play"
No problem :)
ah if you download the app from the play store it should work, or you could use the PayPal link in my signature (and then Google won't take a cut :p)
Thanks in advance :D

Humpie

Recognized Developer
Hey, can you fix the inconsistency between the widget setup screen and the actual screensaver? It seems that they have different sizes and so the widget doesn't have the same border on either screen.
The bounding box should be exactly equal. When calculating I take into account the size of the set-up screen (which represents your actual phone screen). However, widgets are being controlled by the app owning the widget. They just give the widget a dp value that I (as far as I know) cannot scale afterwards. I can only give it the box in which the widget should be drawn. That means the only way to get a complete accurate representation of how the widget will look is to have a full-screen setup screen, but then where do I put the sliders?
I tried to get it as accurate as possible by making the set-up screen as large as possible and for most widgets you won't notice the difference, but with your example you can indeed see it.
So yeah... maybe you have an idea of how I could do that?

jnss98b

Jul 25, 2018
NYC
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
The bounding box should be exactly equal. When calculating I take into account the size of the set-up screen (which represents your actual phone screen). However, widgets are being controlled by the app owning the widget. They just give the widget a dp value that I (as far as I know) cannot scale afterwards. I can only give it the box in which the widget should be drawn. That means the only way to get a complete accurate representation of how the widget will look is to have a full-screen setup screen, but then where do I put the sliders?
I tried to get it as accurate as possible by making the set-up screen as large as possible and for most widgets you won't notice the difference, but with your example you can indeed see it.
So yeah... maybe you have an idea of how I could do that?

I have a few suggestions for that. I personally prefer the former one because of being able to see live preview.

One is you could put a full-screen setup screen and add a floating setup tab containing all of the options that can be minimized and maximized.
Another one is you could add a button to preview the screensaver in full screen temporarily and users can go back to the setup screen through the back button.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Turn any widget into a screensaver!

Android has a native screen saver option (yes, I also forgot about that) that was called Daydream before Daydream VR was a thing and is now just called "Screen Saver".
    I was surprised not a single screen saver app allowed you to put a widget inside the screen saver, so I quickly whipped up this app to do exactly that.
    Now you can reuse that old tablet or phone (with Android 4.2+) as a night stand with your favorite widget for instance!
    You can also show your calendar, the latest news, the location of your friends (see my Magical Location Clock app!), or use one of those apps where you can completely design a widget yourself.
    The ecosystem is the limit!
    The app has burn-in protection, support for multiple widgets, profiles and Tasker support for switching profiles, along with several other settings.
    If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Frequently asked questions:

Widget Screensaver doesn't work?
    Please explain what's not working so I can fix it. If any crashes occur, submit them so I can see them and if not, please tell me what does work and what steps you've taken until the problem occurs.

Widget Screensaver doesn't work for this widget?
    Please tell me which widget suffers from the problem (with screenshots and link) so I can try and fix it.

Widget Screensaver doesn't work on my Huawei/Honor device running EMUI? I only see default screensavers!
    Unfortunately this is due to Huawei blocking third party screensavers. Check this post from XDA for a workaround: https://www.xda-developers.com/how-...ver-on-huawei-and-honor-devices-running-emui/
    The command to use is "adb shell settings put secure screensaver_components nl.jolanrensen.widgetscreensaver/.WidgetScreensaverService"

Can Widget Screensaver be used as always on display or when not charging?
    While things like detecting when the screen is covered don't work, it is possible to start the screensaver anytime the screen turns off using Tasker (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm). Check out this profile I made: https://taskernet.com/shares/?user=...&id=Profile:Start+Screensaver+When+Screen+Off

For more help you can visit the XDA thread or email me at contact@jolanrensen.nl
    I'll try to respond as quickly as possible, but it's just me, a student with a hobby, so forgive me if I cannot always respond immediately.

You can download the app from XDA labs at https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/nl.jolanrensen.widgetscreensaver or at the Google play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.jolanrensen.widgetscreensaver

XDA:DevDB Information
    Widget Screensaver, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    Humpie

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 6.3
    Stable Release Date: 2020-11-16

Created 2018-12-17
    Last Updated 2020-11-16
    Updated to v1.5 and hopefully fixed some crashes that some people experienced!
    Feature Request: Burn-in protection setting > movement = 1 pixel / minute, then large jump every hour. Less distraction when docked and sitting at desk. Thanks.
    Hi everyone. Gotta love a week off right? I found the time to create the all-time most asked request of the app: the ability to have multiple widgets at once in the screensaver. This required a complete under-the hood rebuild and rectangle packers and whatnot, so it took a while to find the time to work it out.
    I hope you like the update!
    Btw, for those who would like to show their gratitude, but don't have access to a credit card or PayPal, you can now watch an advertisement (as many times as you like) to support the development of the app (I'm testing out if this works, then I can maybe also put it in my other apps).

In summary:
    v3.0:
    - I heard your requests, so I rebuilt the app under the hood to support multiple widgets!
    - Added free donation option using an advertisement
    - Bugfixes
    - I most likely created more bugs than I fixed due to this large update, so let me know!

Edit:
    v3.1:
    - Fixed some Nullpointer bugs (thanks for reporting)
    - Fixed overlap detection for multiple widgets
    v2.0 released!
    Features
    Bugfixes
    - Anything I came across