HELP: How can i get WP7 Zune to show album/artist backgrounds?

Search This thread

yly3

Nov 11, 2010
Bucharest
OK I will try to give a tip I learned from old iPod days. Only "adding" a cover isn't enough for a song to feature the artwork on ANY mp3 player . You need to somehow "incorporate" the cover in the metadata (I think this is how is called)

I suggest you guys try to add cover via Mp3Tag program (which is free and easy to use) and you should have no problems with covers in the future. I haven't received my HD7 yet but I am also a music enthusiast and I love having artworks on my player.

Hope this helps !

Graveworm

Aug 10, 2007
getting the album art isnt the problem, the problem is getting the Artist background working. some albums will only display the cover, when they should show both the cover AND the artist background. i have yet to try leaving my phone attached to the pc and leaving it on all night as this seems really silly. but will do it anyway.

Well, I managed that both is working!

Attachments

• CIMG8698.jpg
    CIMG8698.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 232
  • CIMG8697.jpg
    CIMG8697.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 350

MrAlchemist

Aug 9, 2007
I'd love to know if anyone in Australia has got this working? Playing a song from a well known artist when connected to WiFi didn't make any difference.

For the people that have it working outside the US or UK, do you have a Zune Pass or not?

I'm trying the leaving on and connected overnight, we'll see.....

Graveworm

Aug 10, 2007
I'd love to know if anyone in Australia has got this working? Playing a song from a well known artist when connected to WiFi didn't make any difference.

For the people that have it working outside the US or UK, do you have a Zune Pass or not?

Nope, no Zune Pass. But I read that right now only a few countries can use the Zune Musik. For example in Europe only UK, France, Italy, Spain and Germany.

So I guess Australia is still non of the supported areas (yet).

arturobandini

Sep 23, 2008
Paris
I suggest you guys try to add cover via Mp3Tag program (which is free and easy to use) and you should have no problems with covers in the future. I haven't received my HD7 yet but I am also a music enthusiast and I love having artworks on my player.

mp3tag is indeed a good soft.

Zune application is supposed to let you tag the album also (search info on the Album), but I would recommend everybody not to use it, since many information/tags from ZUNE are actually wrong or inaccurate. Most of the time ZUNE will replace the Artist name by the Composer name. Which is not good.

darkmurder

Oct 13, 2009

I have, using an Australian account does not work, however I use a US email account with fake US details (only downside is for now I can't buy apps as it refuses my credit card so it's a big toss up but I can live without apps and have the full Zune experience).

davidebanks

Sep 1, 2008
grave worm, do you images look like these while playing? note album and background or in my case, lack of! :(

davidebanks

Sep 1, 2008
by the way folks , do not have a zune pass and im still able to get some background so i dont think its needed. what might be helpful is if someone can show us what a properly tagged album should look like???

yly3

Nov 11, 2010
Bucharest
mp3tag is indeed a good soft.

Zune application is supposed to let you tag the album also (search info on the Album), but I would recommend everybody not to use it, since many information/tags from ZUNE are actually wrong or inaccurate. Most of the time ZUNE will replace the Artist name by the Composer name. Which is not good.

That was the also the problem of the iTunes. If you add it via Itunes it will only work on iPods/iPhone and not on other players while with Mp3Tag you are writing the cover in the mp3 data not puting a pic-stamp on it.

So has anyone elste tried what I suggested? Try to remove the non-working mp3s , use mp3tag , then sync them back. I am very curious

MrAlchemist

Aug 9, 2007
My MP3 collection is very well tagged, using MP3Tag. I've also tried updating the data with Zune for an Album or two of really well known artists, still no backgrounds :|

I think there are 2 problems here.

A) You either live in Australia, or somewhere where Zune doesn't have the music experience yet, ie. we can only buy videos and apps, no music. so for whatever reason artist backgrounds don't work...

B) Tagging and sync issues listed above.

The background artist stuff really does make Zune, it'll be a shame if this doesn't get resolved soon....

Last edited:

pipolas

Jan 9, 2008
Well, i have a problem:
Sometimes, i have the artist background only when i am navigating through his albums and songs...but when i listen a song of this artist...I don't have the background...!!

Moreover, two weeks ago i was using an american zune account...and nearly 90% of my songs on my zune hd had backgrounds.
But then, i switch to a french zune account...and sometimes (50% of my songs), when i click on "more info for this artist"...i have an error message "this element is no longer available on the zune market"...but when i search this artist on the zune market, of course i can find him, and he has background...so i think my zune library is messed up because i switch frome the american market to the french market...
How could i erase all the information refering to the market on my songs??

Thanks!

MrAlchemist

Aug 9, 2007
Just to confirm, as suspected leaving your WP7 connected to Zune(signed in) on a PC, with an account from a country that doesn't support Zune music sales means you get no artist backgrounds.

davidebanks

Sep 1, 2008
heck i rarely ever sing in, wonder if this is causing the probems? ive been a bit busy but i did managed to download mp3tag but just need to figure out how to use it. by the way. has anyopne managed to get the background artist for the band called Muse? the album i have is The Resistance.

Krissrock

Nov 12, 2010
Has anybody tried transfering music via the Mass Media and seeing if the album covers are more likely to show up that way?

davidebanks

Sep 1, 2008
album covers are not the problem. the problem is getting the artists images to appear in the zune background whilst the music is playing.

davidebanks

Sep 1, 2008
still cant believe that at xda we STILL havnt really found a solution to this...i still have a phew more things to check like mp3 tag and media monkey... in the meantime though i found a Zune Media Reset Tool. ( im not allowed to put the link on here am i? i use it and seem to have got a lot more artist backgrounds working now... though still some albums are without..... bing it and give it a try and see what others come up with.

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
still cant believe that at xda we STILL havnt really found a solution to this...i still have a phew more things to check like mp3 tag and media monkey... in the meantime though i found a Zune Media Reset Tool. ( im not allowed to put the link on here am i? i use it and seem to have got a lot more artist backgrounds working now... though still some albums are without..... bing it and give it a try and see what others come up with.

I don't understand why your albums are not coming up. I haven't had any problem with mine.
Did you get these from legit sources or something like limewire?

davidebanks

Sep 1, 2008
the album art comes up no problem, BUT its the Artist background which dosnt always appear. for example, go to the Zune homepage and select zune for phone, you shoud see a phone with eneniem album art, but in the background you will see a pic of enemien , which is the artist pic. mine dosnt always show the artist pic in the background. we here at XDA all seem to be stumped as to the real reason why this happens and how to fix it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i dont have a zune pass but i do get some artist backgrounds so im not sure if a zune pass is really needed.

I think the issue is specifically that you don't get artist backgrounds if you are in a region that doesn't offer the Zune pass/music marketplace. If you're in a supported region, you get the backgrounds whether or not you have a Zune pass subscription. If you're in a location that doesn't have access to the Zune music marketplace, you get nothing for artist info, even if you use Zune to manage your personal music collection, and get the album covers/tag info from Zune.
    I don't know about it working on the PC, but I've heard it's impossible to fully convert a Live ID to another locale. If it was originally created outside the US, that may still be blocking you from accessing some features that weren't available there.

Yes, it's a pain. Yes, we've all complained to MS about it.

You can try, rather than hard-resetting the phone, changing the Live ID using the Supreme Shortcuts app (I believe that's what it's called) on the Dev&Hacking sub-forum. It allows you to run the OOBE (initial setup) without hard-resetting.