Super Easy Root Method for Tab 10.1 (Noob Friendly Guide)

Search This thread

b1acknight

May 9, 2012
Does this work for the 10.1v? I wish there was something this easy for the 10.1v. I've tried to root my 10.1v so many times with nothing even close to success.

this_is_nick6

Apr 18, 2011
Halifax
OnePlus 8
hmmm maybe if someone could see if this root file is in fact different, maybe you could rename this to update.zip and flash it using the same method? I literally took the plunge and did it on mine using the root file I found, so if you're willing to take the risk it would be great info to add to the post if it is successful.

Most of the .zip contents appear to be the same or similiar, so you could even take a chance and flash the file from my post. Make sure to let us know if you decide to go through with it! If it works for you, that means all of the 10.1 models (previous to the Tab 2) are rootable using this ridiculously simple method.

MichaelMcC

Sep 11, 2011
I have the VZW and I try the up vol and pwr button but it doesn't give me a choice and goes straight to download. Anybody have a solution or am I just doing something wrong.
Thanks

MichaelMcC

Sep 11, 2011
Another post had the answer.
Release the power button only as soon as the logo appears.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

Last edited:

maz2001

Jun 11, 2012
London
Some help on rooting

Hi,

My first ever post. I needed some help rooting my tab. Im new to android so need a little guidance.

Would this method work on my UK tab 10.1 WIFI 3G.

Let me give some info.. It may be excessive, so sorry about that.
Model: GT-P7500
Android Version: 3.2
Baseband Version: P7500XXKL3
Kernel Version: 2.6.36.3

Sorry for my noobish questions but i just dont wanna mess up my device from stupidity and then I won't even be able to fix it...

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• SC20120611-154400.jpg
    SC20120611-154400.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 692

Panos_dm

Jan 26, 2011
Hi,

My first ever post. I needed some help rooting my tab. Im new to android so need a little guidance.

Would this method work on my UK tab 10.1 WIFI 3G.

Let me give some info.. It may be excessive, so sorry about that.
Model: GT-P7500
Android Version: 3.2
Baseband Version: P7500XXKL3
Kernel Version: 2.6.36.3

Sorry for my noobish questions but i just dont wanna mess up my device from stupidity and then I won't even be able to fix it...

Thanks in advance.

Yes it works in 3g models.

If this is some sort of duplicate post, please delete it, but I could not find something like this anywhere. I want to share my method for gaining root access + installing CWM recovery on the Rogers Galaxy Tab 10.1. This should work on other variants, those who can confirm please comment and I'll update the post.

Guide was written by myself, but I grabbed the root file from this post on Android Authority. Props to whoever the original owner of that file is... :D Also, not responsible for bricking devices etc etc etc.

The post in android authority is pretty much the same as this one:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=15693193.

The post on xda is older and I just want to give propper credits to lorrdeff07! Everybody who used this method should go to his thread and thank him!

Sent from my amazing 10.1 galaxy tab :)

Reactions: this_is_nick6

genyue

Jan 24, 2008
Tested it on my P7500 3G version.
It works like a charm.

This will be helpful to Singaporeans.
I bought it in Singapore, so you know are can use this for rooting.

pitflyer

Feb 16, 2010
Worked for my Wi-Fi tab too except I had to power down first.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

fbloise

Jan 16, 2006
London
It works fine in the Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7510 32GB with 3.2, sold by CPW here in the UK.

Thanks a lot, this was very easy and simple, took me less than 5 minutes in total.

biggiebro

Jun 2, 2009
unfortunately the recovery installed will not able to install the CM( nightly as it require clockwork mod recovery 0 5.5.0.4 where as on rom manager is 5.8.3.1.

Anybody have any idea on how to change recovery without ODIN. My usb connection is very unrealiable.

Panos_dm

Jan 26, 2011
unfortunately the recovery installed will not able to install the CM( nightly as it require clockwork mod recovery 0 5.5.0.4 where as on rom manager is 5.8.3.1.

Anybody have any idea on how to change recovery without ODIN. My usb connection is very unrealiable.

Download the recovery update.zip for the 4g version from the original post and replace the recovery in that zip with pershoot's. Then flash from stock recovery.

Sent from my amazing 10.1 galaxy tab :)

dmlsthe1

Apr 22, 2012
this method worked on my rogers 4g tablet.
i was wondering if anyone else has problems with downloading from the market. i tried to download pandora and an error came up saying its not available in my country. how do i change that? maybe a different rom? do the roms for the p7500 work on p7500r? or are there conflicts? can someone send me in the right direction if this is the rom place? i tried googling it with no luck

Timbop37

Apr 23, 2012
I used this method to root my tab but forgot to rename the file to update.zip. It worked fine but will this cause problems?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If this is some sort of duplicate post, please delete it, but I could not find something like this anywhere. I want to share my method for gaining root access + installing CWM recovery on the Rogers Galaxy Tab 10.1. This should work on other variants, those who can confirm please comment and I'll update the post.

Update:
    Now confirmed on WiFi model AND Verizon Model (thanks Rockaholic94 and badogg for testing).

Rooting:

1. Download this file and rename it as "update.zip"
    2. Put the update.zip file on the root of your tab's SD card
    3. While your tab is powered on or off (doesn't matter), hold the volume down (volume up on VZW Model) + power key to bring up the option to select recovery mode or download mode.
    4. Choose the recovery mode option (box picture) by hitting the volume down key then selecting with the volume up key.
    5. Now that you're in the factory android recovery menu, choose "Install update from SD card".
    6. Highlight the update.zip file using the volume buttons and the power button to select.
    7. Confirm Superuser is in your list of apps :D

Let it do its thing and it is now rooted.

Installing Clockworkmod:

1. After confirming the Superuser app is installed and you in fact have root access, download ROM Manager from the Play Store.
    2. Open ROM Manager and choose "Install Clockworkmod Recovery"
    3. Select "Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" to make sure the right recovery is installed, and wait a minute or so as it installs.
    4. Towards the end, ROM Manager will prompt you for root access to complete the install.

Congrats, you now have root access and CWM Recovery.

This was tested on my 3G device running 3.2 for the record, but it should work on 3.1 also. Please let me know what devices you've been successful using this method for, and remember the "thanks" button too ;).

Guide was written by myself, but I grabbed the root file from this post on Android Authority. Props to whoever the original owner of that file is... :D Also, not responsible for bricking devices etc etc etc.
    I did it on my Wifi only 10.1 tab and it worked perfectly.
    I'm not a huge ODIN fan myself. I only have experience with ODIN from my 7" Galaxy Tab but I like simple methods that don't require a computer. I completed this method by simply using Dropbox to transfer the root file to my device, the built-in file manager to rename the file, stock recovery to flash it, then CWM via ROM Manager from the Play Store......... NO WIRES :D :D
    Just to be clear, this method works fine on the Wifi P7510 gtab 10.1 (US) with ICS right?

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S III

Actually this does not work with ICS but there are other threads that have root methods for ICS. Also a few YouTube vids on rooting GTab with ICS.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using XDA Premium HD app
    Method no longer works in Stock ICS

Stock ICS no longer allows update.zip (default /mnt/sdcard [=/sdcard] location) to be loaded via Stock Recovery main menu update from external (SD card).

External storage is defaulted to "/sdcard", which is not the external USB Host drive (standard recovery mode, that is), neither does it seem to be the highest non-root accessible location. I will probably go the ODIN/CWM route now, as this super easy method now seems to be locked out by Samsung's finest.

EDIT:
    ODIN/CWM did not work out, as first a scrolling CWM menu, and then, after pershoots bootloader installation a scrolling wakeup screen.

/sdcard is present, (soft)link to /mnt/sdcard (or vice versa, still have to look) when ICS is running, but it looks like it is only a temporary link, created during boot-up. Standard recovery of ICS does not see /sdcard, or maybe looks for another filename (i.e. not "update.zip") to load. I am not sure, but the end-result is that standard recovery in ICS does not allow for this method to work as described.