[Q] Z1 Compact 757 straight to root?

Search This thread

gerg81

May 1, 2014
Hi there, ive been searching for guides for last few days for locked bootloader root on Z1 Compact on .757 Kitkat and every guide seems to be different or out of date, either jumping to other out of date tutorials or needing several downgrades?

Can i just run DualRecovery installer and have root on 757 or do i need to downgrade several Android versions back to early JB and then root and reinstall newer versions using root up to 757 again?

I mostly want to backup my TA folder and then can mess with phone properly but it seems a long winded process of downgrading and upgrading several GB of Android versions just to get root? How does root even survive if upgrading again?

So what is the easiest way to root on .757 so can backup TA then unlock bootloader? Do i need to downgrade to early JB to rooot or is there a current tool for 757?

Ive been messing with my Nexus 7 2013 since launch so not a complete noob when it comes to rooting and unlocking bootloaders, just the route to root for backing up TA isnt so clear for this Z1Compact on 757.

Thanks for help!

Last edited:

Jonas740

Apr 17, 2014
The reason for downgrading is purley so you can root the phone without unlocking your bootloader so that you can backup your ta and drm keys.

When that's done you are safe with the ta and drm. Then you can put whatever version in and unlock bootloader and root. Rooting on the newer versions can't be done without unlocked bootloader as far as I've understood this.

Me however just skipped the backup procedure and just unlocked and rooted. My ta and drm ain't backed up.

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Free mobile app

gerg81

May 1, 2014
Once ive downgraded to root and backed up TA/DRM, can i upgrade to pre-rooted .757 without unlocking bootloader still? Or to have a locked bootloader once back to .757 to turn all the drm/TA features back on?

Is it possible to have locked bootloader, root and proper TA/DRM features enabled while on .757 currently?

gerg81

May 1, 2014
Yes, just downgrade, install dual recovery, upgrade to pre-rooted .757 FW, then Backup TA (in tha case in future you will want unlock bootlader), done. Fully working rooted phone with DRM intact.

Sweet thanks!

I take it with downgrading i just let flashtool overwrite everything, or is there things i need to skip to preserve TA?

Sorry for all the questions but the tutorials all vary slightly.

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Sweet thanks!

I take it with downgrading i just let flashtool overwrite everything, or is there things i need to skip to preserve TA?

Yes, in Flashtool do not "Exclude" anything and Wipe Data, Cache and Appslog. The TA have nothing to do with flashing so you can flash how much you want and they be there intact, they will be wiped when you will unlock your bootloader only.

Few Tips:
To backup TA use the only app recommended from HERE , and do a Backup TA before Unlock Bootloader and one Backup TA after Unlock bootloader (after unlock bootloader there will be no more DRM keys), but if you do 2 Backup you will be able to switch between Locked and Unlocked Bootloader just by Restoring the Backups, Backup before Unlock will Lock your bootloader, Backup after Unlock will Unlock your bootloader. Do not Relock your bootloader with Custom kernels because you will brick your phone.

Reactions: rafael42

gerg81

May 1, 2014
Sweet thanks guys, i managed to get .757 rooted with locked bootloader at last.

Id had a looks for the Z1 Compact forum initially but couldnt find it on the main page?

coolkoushik07

Oct 26, 2009
Kolkata
Yes, just downgrade, install dual recovery, upgrade to pre-rooted .757 FW, then Backup TA (in tha case in future you will want unlock bootlader), done. Fully working rooted phone with DRM intact.

How can i know if my DRM keys are intact or not.. Recently I have restored my TA partition and locked the bootloader..but how can I be sure if the DRM keys are working or intact?

Sent from my Xperia Z1 Compact (D5503)

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
How can i know if my DRM keys are intact or not.. Recently I have restored my TA partition and locked the bootloader..but how can I be sure if the DRM keys are working or intact?

Type *#*#7378423#*#* and go to Service test > Security, if you have in all strings [Key OK][Active] they are all good, if you have [Unknown Error] the DRM keys are lost.

I post mine with UB.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-04-14-39-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-04-14-39-27.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: GunnarKarlsson

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is it possible to have locked bootloader, root and proper TA/DRM features enabled while on .757 currently?

Sweet thanks!

Yes, in Flashtool do not "Exclude" anything and Wipe Data, Cache and Appslog. The TA have nothing to do with flashing so you can flash how much you want and they be there intact, they will be wiped when you will unlock your bootloader only.

Few Tips:
    To backup TA use the only app recommended from HERE , and do a Backup TA before Unlock Bootloader and one Backup TA after Unlock bootloader (after unlock bootloader there will be no more DRM keys), but if you do 2 Backup you will be able to switch between Locked and Unlocked Bootloader just by Restoring the Backups, Backup before Unlock will Lock your bootloader, Backup after Unlock will Unlock your bootloader. Do not Relock your bootloader with Custom kernels because you will brick your phone.

Type *#*#7378423#*#* and go to Service test > Security, if you have in all strings [Key OK][Active] they are all good, if you have [Unknown Error] the DRM keys are lost.

I post mine with UB.