[Q] Did I brick my first phone?

Search This thread

BigPapaGotti

Jun 18, 2014
I have a Motorola Droid 4. I installed SafeStrap recently on it and installed CM11 to the stock rom (mistake I know). I kept running into issues and I finally sorted all of them out and I decided I wanted to restore back to stock and then install CM11 to a rom slot. I come to find out that I am unable to restore my stock backup as it keeps failing. So I then decide I am going to just go ahead and restore my CM11 backup to rom slot 1 and make it the active boot rom, but that turned out to fail to for whatever reason. I reboot my phone several times and received the Motorola logo followed by the dreaded Android on his back with his chest opened up and the exclamation point/triangle coming out of it.

So I gave in and decided to just go ahead and use the Droid Razr Utility that I have used before to reinstall the stock ROM and start all over. During this process everything seems to be going fine. I am able to boot into Fastboot, the PC recognized the phone and can see it. I then start the recovery by doing option "2" to wipe and install. My phone reboots a couple of times and then comes to the point of another reboot but the phone never turned back on. I've tried many button combinations to get this to boot up but nothing seems to respond. I have attached a screenshot of what the Droid Razr Utility showed when the phone was attempting to restart but never did.

I purchased a Fastboot cable to hopefully get me to the point of my PC recognizing the phone but that does not seem to work. When I plug in my phone Windows never detects anything. I removed all the drivers and nothing. If I plug the phone into a charger the Green light flashes for a split second. If I plug my phone into the computer the Green LED light will stay solid. According to Motorola this indicates that the battery is fully charged. I've tried reseating the battery to no avail.

So based on the information above and the attached screenshot, is my Droid 4 bricked and unusable now?

BigPapaGotti

Jun 18, 2014
After doing a bunch of research I think I indeed bricked my phone. Since the ROM I tried flashing to my phone was not for the Droid 4 but rather the Droid RAZR, it looks like my phone is dead. I was hopeful and assumed that this would be able to be reversed by hooking up to a PC but apparently that is not the case. Perhaps I tripped the eFuse or something which is causing the boot loader to not initiate. I guess I need to get a new phone now unless someone has a nifty trick up their sleeve to get the phone accessible via a computer.

BigPapaGotti

Jun 18, 2014
Even though my computer does not seem to recognize my phone when I plug it in. For example, I plug it in using the Fastboot cable and I never heard a sound from my computer like it knows something was just plugged in?

I did buy a fastboot cable from bluvector on amazon but that didn't seem to do anything for me. My Droid 4 still has a black screen and plays dead:crying:

BigPapaGotti

Jun 18, 2014
@sd_shadow you out there? I would love to hear your advice on my issue to see if there is any hope for my phone.

I received a FastBoot Cable but when I plug it in nothing happens. I also have a Kindle Fire HD and plugged the fastboot cable into it and powerd it down and back on and it boots normally. I'm wondering if the fastboot cable is faulty? Also I think my droid 4 may be completely shot since pushing the power button does nothing for me so I don't know how I could get back into Fastboot mode, unless a confirmed working fastboot cable will force the phone to boot and enter fastboot mode?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
@sd_shadow you out there? I would love to hear your advice on my issue to see if there is any hope for my phone.

I received a FastBoot Cable but when I plug it in nothing happens. I also have a Kindle Fire HD and plugged the fastboot cable into it and powerd it down and back on and it boots normally. I'm wondering if the fastboot cable is faulty? Also I think my droid 4 may be completely shot since pushing the power button does nothing for me so I don't know how I could get back into Fastboot mode, unless a confirmed working fastboot cable will force the phone to boot and enter fastboot mode?
Motorola Devices will be powered by the Fastboot/Factory cable, when you connect the Droid 4 to pc via a fastboot cable, it should power on but you may need to select fastboot mode in bootmenu options.
Not sure about the kindle HD, but an Original Kindle Fire 1st gen, will boot direct to fastboot mode, when connected to a Fastboot cable
Both require Hardware cable and device to be working correctly.

BigPapaGotti

Jun 18, 2014
Motorola Devices will be powered by the Fastboot/Factory cable, when you connect the Droid 4 to pc via a fastboot cable, it should power on but you may need to select fastboot mode in bootmenu options.
Not sure about the kindle HD, but an Original Kindle Fire 1st gen, will boot direct to fastboot mode, when connected to a Fastboot cable
Both require Hardware cable and device to be working correctly.

According to the description on the amazon site that I bought this cable from it shows the cable as being able to support Kindle Fire HD, that is why I am thinking that this cable is faulty, since it is not working on my droid nor is it working on my Kindle Fire.

I am thinking on buying a different one and returning my current one but i'm hesitant to do so. I have my doubts that this will allow my Droid 4 to boot up and/or be recognized by my computer. Since I get no response with the Vol-, Vol+, Power button combinations i'm thinking this is hard bricked because of the wrong files I flashed to it.

Before I made this mistake the phone was at least responsive showing the android/exclamation point screen. Then my dumbass ran the wrong flashing utility and that was all she wrote.

Do you think there is hope for my my phone even though the power button yields no response? If the fastboot cable will at least allow my phone to be recognized by my computer then I think i could save it, but that is where i have my doubts, but would love to try.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
According to the description on the amazon site that I bought this cable from it shows the cable as being able to support Kindle Fire HD, that is why I am thinking that this cable is faulty, since it is not working on my droid nor is it working on my Kindle Fire.

I am thinking on buying a different one and returning my current one but i'm hesitant to do so. I have my doubts that this will allow my Droid 4 to boot up and/or be recognized by my computer. Since I get no response with the Vol-, Vol+, Power button combinations i'm thinking this is hard bricked because of the wrong files I flashed to it.

Before I made this mistake the phone was at least responsive showing the android/exclamation point screen. Then my dumbass ran the wrong flashing utility and that was all she wrote.

Do you think there is hope for my my phone even though the power button yields no response? If the fastboot cable will at least allow my phone to be recognized by my computer then I think i could save it, but that is where i have my doubts, but would love to try.
If you flashed Droid Razr firmware, yes it's bricked. or haven't seen anyone recovery from that yet.