[Q] Might be getting a Shift

Search This thread

corybucher

Dec 29, 2009
LG Velvet
Motorola Edge Plus (2022)
I have the Evo now but am giving that phone to my dad when I bring them onto my family plan and will be using his new contract to get a different phone. My question for you Shift owners is does the Shift use a GPL to control it's graphics (should be smother for scrolling if I'm not mistaken) instead of hardware control? Also I've heard numerous people say that the shift is a lot faster even though it's running a 800mhz processor instead of a 1ghz like the Evo. Keyboard doesn't really mean much to me as I will most likely be using the on screen more than the physical. Thank you all in advanced.

bubby323

Jul 31, 2010
Michigan City, IN
I have the Evo now but am giving that phone to my dad when I bring them onto my family plan and will be using his new contract to get a different phone. My question for you Shift owners is does the Shift use a GPL to control it's graphics (should be smother for scrolling if I'm not mistaken) instead of hardware control? Also I've heard numerous people say that the shift is a lot faster even though it's running a 800mhz processor instead of a 1ghz like the Evo. Keyboard doesn't really mean much to me as I will most likely be using the on screen more than the physical. Thank you all in advanced.

My dad has the original Evo and myself the Shift. It blows the Evo away in my opinion. The keyboard is great, the graphics amazing, the screen vivid, and the processor seems to be quite a bit faster. Not to mention the dev attention this phone is getting so far. We are only about, what, a couple months in and we already have MIUI, new sense, cm6, cm7, and an aosp gingerbread, and a 1.8ghz overclock, and an upcoming dual boot from myself. I don't see what phone is better on Sprint?(;

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA App

BrandoKC

May 15, 2010
Kansas City
I will add thise too. I bought the shift over the evo for the 2nd gen snapdragon and new GPU. However, I use the keyboard a helluva lot more than I ever thought I would.

Sent from my HTC Evo Shift 4G

jesusice

Dec 22, 2010
My dad has the original Evo and myself the Shift. It blows the Evo away in my opinion. The keyboard is great, the graphics amazing, the screen vivid, and the processor seems to be quite a bit faster. Not to mention the dev attention this phone is getting so far. We are only about, what, a couple months in and we already have MIUI, new sense, cm6, cm7, and an aosp gingerbread, and a 1.8ghz overclock, and an upcoming dual boot from myself. I don't see what phone is better on Sprint?(;

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA App

Aight, Bubby. Curiousity's peaked here, what're we dual booting with? Whatever it is it sounds crazy and I want some!

^ Shift Faced

ahager88

May 26, 2010
Cape Girardeau
www.facebook.com
Last edited:
T

teharchitekt

And in that thread bcnice never discusses that CyanogenMod 6, not CyanogenMod 7. And just because there is a linked ROM in that directory does not explain how stable it is.

ahager88

May 26, 2010
Cape Girardeau
www.facebook.com
And in that thread bcnice never discusses that CyanogenMod 6, not CyanogenMod 7. And just because there is a linked ROM in that directory does not explain how stable it is.

I didn't say it was stable, just that the rom IS available.

However, since I'm equipped with all things necessary to flash a rom, I have ran cm6, cm7 and evervolv each for at least a solid day. I'd also like to note that MY rom of choice is Evervolv.

Since you're so quick to mention stability, all three are having the same issues. MMS and Camera being the ones most users will notice.

Sent from my PG06100

T

teharchitekt

I didn't say it was stable, just that the rom IS available.

However, since I'm equipped with all things necessary to flash a rom, I have ran cm6, cm7 and evervolv each for at least a solid day. I'd also like to note that MY rom of choice is Evervolv.

Since you're so quick to mention stability, all three are having the same issues. MMS and Camera being the ones most users will notice.

Sent from my PG06100
And in your quickness to try to tear apart my responses, you miss read me. I never said that, that release wasn't stable, just the developer has not mention anything about stable it was in the first place.

ahager88

May 26, 2010
Cape Girardeau
www.facebook.com
And in your quickness to try to tear apart my responses, you miss read me. I never said that, that release wasn't stable, just the developer has not mention anything about stable it was in the first place.

I wasn't trying to tear it apart. Will admit that I missed your point though. :)

We are fortunate to have a lot of development going on. Especially for this early in the devices span.

Sent from my PG06100

preludedrew

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 26, 2010
Santan Valley
CyanogenMod 7 isn't available for the HTC Evo Shift, but there is Evervolv which is based off CyanogenMod 7 source.
Code:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=936822

Just to set this correct... Evervolv is not 'based' off of CM7, however there is quite a bit of source that is gathered from CyanogenMod. Most of this is hardware related and C/CPP that i havent even dabbled into just yet. The rest are features/coding that i thought i would like to learn how it was implemented and put it into evervolv and have tried my own work from there. Example: Rotary lockscreen.. this was pushed to CM6 a while back, i liked it and wondered how it was done... from there I coded it myself to work with the phone answering also (which at the time had not been done with CM.)

Thanks
-Andrew

corybucher

Dec 29, 2009
LG Velvet
Motorola Edge Plus (2022)
Ok, so I got the shift yesterday and have already rooted it and installed a custom rom with 1.51ghz kernel and so far I am very impressed with the speed and smoothness of this phone. Kb is actual worth it because it nice and rubberized and easy to type on. So which aosp rom is the best (most funtional) right now? I like sense but prefer aosp more of course because of speed. Also anyone working on a liquid acer port? Absolutely love that look. Thanks for all the responses btw.

Sent from my Evolution

mntbkr

Jun 18, 2010
Central FL
so i'm thinking of getting this for the wife when her upgrade is up in April. One of her sticking points it that she likes the camera on my EVO and she's put off by the 5mp camera on the Shift. I explained to her that the MP was not that big of a deal that hardware/software make the biggest difference on picture quality. SO can any of you guys that came from the EVO compare the camera on the SHIFT vs EVO?

doratheconquistadora

Jan 13, 2011
Lafayette, CA
so i'm thinking of getting this for the wife when her upgrade is up in April. One of her sticking points it that she likes the camera on my EVO and she's put off by the 5mp camera on the Shift. I explained to her that the MP was not that big of a deal that hardware/software make the biggest difference on picture quality. SO can any of you guys that came from the EVO compare the camera on the SHIFT vs EVO?

The camera honestly is not bad.
Then again, I do carry around an actual camera at times, but for the phone, the pictures are fine. I like the size (EVO might have been a little to big to carry around), I especially like having a physical keyboard (came from a BlackBerry Curve to the Shift), and I just overall love it. Got it rooted, set the clock speeds and have vastly improved my battery life.

It's all a matter of personal preference in the end though.

I would post a photo I've taken (of flowers) but I can't since I have to post more before I'm allowed to.