Motorola OEM chargers only?

Search This thread

Roricken

Jan 13, 2010
Charleston, SC
Last night, I decided to use my HD2 charger, since it was already in my drawer. Charged it around midnight and woke up around 4 and it only charged 10%:confused: So I decided to use the Motorola charger, and when I woke up around 6 it was fully charged in less than 2 hours. So my question is, are we only suppose to be using the charger that came w/ it or is my outlet possessed:eek:

thunderpack

Dec 15, 2010
Charlotte
The actual cable doesn't matter, but the charging port seems to. My phone doesn't charge as well when hooked up to my HTC Aria's usb charge vs. the one that came with my Atrix or even the old Motorola Z9 charger I have (like this one since it's longer than my USB cable and it reaches my bed so I can do "Sleep as a Droid"

bsinc1962

Jan 5, 2010
Dubois, Wy
I tried using my Nexus charger last night and the phone didn't like it at all. It started FC'ing all over the place and I had to reboot it. The voltage on both chargers are the same. For a moment I thought I f'd it up but it's been fine all day.

harolds

Aug 4, 2006
www.haroldspc.com
Last night, I decided to use my HD2 charger, since it was already in my drawer. Charged it around midnight and woke up around 4 and it only charged 10%:confused: So I decided to use the Motorola charger, and when I woke up around 6 it was fully charged in less than 2 hours. So my question is, are we only suppose to be using the charger that came w/ it or is my outlet possessed:eek:

Check the amp output of the charger, a good one will be at 1amp, where most are around 500ma or less.

perdurabo2

Jun 17, 2007
NJ
If you're having charging issues, it's probably because the charger isn't supplying the required 800ma draw. Most USB power adapters still only output 500ma max. Be sure your 3rd party charger can output 800ma or more. For example the Apple USB adapters can output anywhere from 1000ma to 2000ma and they work great charging the Atrix.

Hope this helps!

mmeads

Feb 22, 2011
Houston
I tried using my Nexus charger last night and the phone didn't like it at all. It started FC'ing all over the place and I had to reboot it. The voltage on both chargers are the same. For a moment I thought I f'd it up but it's been fine all day.

I'm using Blackberry's micro usb chargers with no problem. I bought a few of these for my N1, and they work fine with the Atrix. The N1 charger from Google/HTC does not work like you all have said.

Yep to both. I tried my N1 charger last night, and the Atrix wasn't having it. Tried my BB charger at work and it charged up quickly. It's weird. On the plus side, a second usb cable is only 6 bucks from at&t ... which is fair.

[DT]

Dec 18, 2006
Vilano Beach, FL
The Atrix must be a little charge sensitive (maybe it has a rapid charge mode or something). We have at our counter a surge protector that also has two built in USB ports for charging. We've charged our iPhone 4 and my Captivate at the same time for months.

When I plugged in the Atrix, it starting chirping (like switching the charge mode on/off/on/off) and the iP4 _also_ started flipping out (again, like the power was being interrupted).

I wound up plugging into the same surge protector, but used a regular AC outlet and the supplied USB>>AC adapter. Everything ran/charged just fine.

Aaronneyer

Sep 4, 2010
Mine seems to freeze up and force close often whenever I charge it with my blackberry cord. The same cord had been charging my Backflip fine for months.

tonyantonucci

Feb 26, 2008
Need the Amp rating

I don't have an Atrix yet (I will soon).

The Blackberry charger that I have puts out 700mA.

But I have tried to use other micro USB chargers with the BlackBerry (BB) and if the charger does not put out the right amps, the BB keeps flipping into/out of clock mode. If you then plug in a BB charger....works great.

TinyRK

Sep 11, 2006
Chicago
A USB-Port is only supposed to deliver 500mA by norm.
So, to charge the phone it hast to be >=500mA.
That explains why the Atrix charges really slow hooked up to a PC, since the battery is ~1900mA/h

You do the math :D

lsxrx7

Feb 24, 2010

Roricken

Jan 13, 2010
Charleston, SC
Thanks for all the help everyone. I decided to just stick w/ the Moto one for now. Sure does take freaking forever to charge via usb on your computer. Lots of juice power:D

k2bikerider

Mar 9, 2007
Roswell, GA
I've used my wife's captivate charger, and it seemed to charge just fine, will need to look and see the output.. I may need to try my Iphone charger and see the rating...

oFUNGUSo

Feb 16, 2011
round rock TX
i forgot to bring my charger to work today, phone died. then i found a charger in my desk for an old bluetooth headset i no longer have. 5v-550ma......seems to be working but i suppose we shall see