Custom ROMs for Defy+ (MB526)

Search This thread

amortar

Sep 8, 2010
cm7-nightly-defy+ experience

Here is MB526 EU version with 4.5.1-134_DFP-139 SBF, Super1click, SndInitDefy and Quarx2k's nightlies. Last usable build is 2011-12-23. All builds from this year are laggy on this, FCs, reboots, data loss. Data wipe to no avail.
But cm72-111223.0500-NIGHTLY-Defy+ is great experience and much more stable than stock rom ;) Only needed was the fix for battery and manual reboot once in a while.

Is everybody else ok with latest nightlys on their defy+ ?

Last edited:

tattoo_gaz

Aug 15, 2006
Beeliar, WA
Quarx CM9-NIGHTLY-120318-Defy+

I installed this yesterday ... I'm still grinning as I had no idea that I could put ICS on my budget phone and it would knock the socks off my mates' top-end phones lol

My experience has been 95% superb, 5% tricky.

I got the "?" on the battery icon in the charge screen when the phone was off, and the battery icon on the status bar seemed to do its own thing as and when it wanted.

I installed the battery fix (without reading it first) that is on the first post and it fixed the battery issue but now I have the 84% max charge thing going on. This doesnt bother me in the slightest. However, most of the time I select battery now from the settings menu or the battery widget, I get a freeze then a reboot. Im about to install the latest nightly CM9-NIGHTLY-120330-Defy+ and see how it goes.

One other problem I got, but only once, was when I finished a call yesterday and moved the phone away from my face, the screen didnt come back on. I pressed the power button and the screen came on with the lock screen but only for about 1 second then it went off again. The only way to get out of this cycle was to remove the battery. This only happened once but thought it worth reporting for the benefit of the developer.

This is by no means a critisism, I am absolutely bowled over at how bloody good this is!

Cheers, Gaz

PS ... awesome thread, thanks for taking the initiative and starting it :)

oskaremil

Jan 7, 2011
Aalesund
Is everybody else ok with latest nightlys on their defy+
Nay :-(

Quarx CM9 ICS looked very nice except for a phone reboot every time I started the camera app. That made the build useless for me.

I also tried another CM9 build for Defy+ (don't remember the exact post), it came with a new kernel but that softbricked my phone so I had to flash my recovery-SBF with RSD Lite.

I guess my problem is I need the correct kernel but there seems to be some major differences between stock kernel versions on phones shipped in EU(2.3.6) and US(2.3.4/5) so finding the right upgrade path is not straight forward. I've lost count of how many times I've softbricked my phone, even had to do the MacGyver trick by making jumpstart :p

My kernel version is
2.6.32-9-gbdd614e
hudsomcm@il93lnxdroid52 #1

CM7.2 is stable, but I am still looking for a working CM9 ROM and/or Kernel

Goose-T

Apr 13, 2011
Budapest
Nay :-(

Quarx CM9 ICS looked very nice except for a phone reboot every time I started the camera app. That made the build useless for me.

I also tried another CM9 build for Defy+ (don't remember the exact post), it came with a new kernel but that softbricked my phone so I had to flash my recovery-SBF with RSD Lite.

I guess my problem is I need the correct kernel but there seems to be some major differences between stock kernel versions on phones shipped in EU(2.3.6) and US(2.3.4/5) so finding the right upgrade path is not straight forward. I've lost count of how many times I've softbricked my phone, even had to do the MacGyver trick by making jumpstart :p

My kernel version is
2.6.32-9-gbdd614e
hudsomcm@il93lnxdroid52 #1

CM7.2 is stable, but I am still looking for a working CM9 ROM and/or Kernel

Unfortunately the GUI hardware acceleration is still not working in CM9 for Defy+, and using without it is not acceptable for me, too slow. Otherwise I have the same kernel version as yours, I think it is OK for Quarx2k's CM7 and CM9 Defy+ builds.

shrek8421

Mar 6, 2012
Bangalore
Here is MB526 EU version with 4.5.1-134_DFP-139 SBF, Super1click, SndInitDefy and Quarx2k's nightlies. Last usable build is 2011-12-23. All builds from this year are laggy on this, FCs, reboots, data loss. Data wipe to no avail.
But cm72-111223.0500-NIGHTLY-Defy+ is great experience and much more stable than stock rom ;) Only needed was the fix for battery and manual reboot once in a while.

Is everybody else ok with latest nightlys on their defy+ ?

can you direct me to the battery fix you are talking about.thanks for the help

Sent from my MB526 using XDA

NishantM

Sep 20, 2008
Mumbai
Well, I have no issues whatsoever on my Defy+ with the latest CM9-NIGHTLY-120330-Defy+. I flashed it without flashing the kernel separately on stock ROM 1321, working fine on stock GB kernel.

I just had to select baseband using baseband switcher as there was no network after flash. Otherwise all good!

Last edited:

lordyka

Feb 17, 2012
KANG

anybody tried jet the KANG cm7 rom on our defy+? theres a new defy+ nightly out there. can be better then quarx?

lordyka

Feb 17, 2012
after the many phone.apk FC in quarx 0408, now i think, im going to flash this mod too :)
now its downloading :D

Kandeman

Apr 9, 2012
MB526

ok after days of reading I think I'm starting to understand the basics of how everything works. Correct me if I go wrong please. There is a kernel on the phone (like a BIOS for a PC) and then we apply a ROM over the top (like an OS). The kernel is locked but we can change versions of the kernel just not to a previous version number (without difficulty). The kernel can be applied by either an full flash (SBF via RSDlite) or applying a kernal (.zip file via bootloader). The ROM can be applied via the bootloader. I understand how to root the phone and apply 2ndinit so I won't go into that.

So where am I at now. Before I fully understood all of the above and having had experience with a HTC desire I plunged in and rooted my phone, applied 2ndinit and then soft bricked my phone when trying to apply WhiteRabbit V1.3. I figured out how to fix that by applying a SBF (DEFYPLUS_U3_4.5.1-134_DFP-1321_CN_SIGN_SIGNED_UCADEFYEMARAB1B50AA009.0R_PDS03C_USAJRDNGIBRIRD15_P014_A026_HWp3_Service1FF.sbf) and repeated the process.

I've tried to update to V1.4 but it errors during the install with "tweaks.prop". I tried following the instructions in the whiterabbit installion video www_youtube_com/watch?v=B_tRpwurJdM including the CM9 kernel that listed but after applying the kernal I got a bootloader error so I started from scratch, applied the SBF above, rooted etc and then reverted to my full backup.

Now I have the following:

Kernel 2.6.32.9-gbdd614etvwm73@zch45Inxdriod54 #1
Rom WhiteRabbit V1.3

What I don't understand is why the WhiteRabbit V1.4 does not work? I suspect it's because I am using the wrong kernel but I don't understand how to select the correct kernel and I want to avoid just blindly applying kernels without understanding why and ensuring that I don't end up with a kernel that I can downgrade from.

Goose-T

Apr 13, 2011
Budapest
U tell us that the Thread isnt for starters but u cannot simply even read the instructions @ the Pikachu edition It clearly states "IMPORANT!!! this Rom works only on Defy or Defy+ with Froyo Kernel or Gingerbread 2.3.4/5 Kernel. All with 2.3.6 Kernel can try to downgrade to Froyo Kernel, because the new Motorola Kernel won't work with MIUI. Just use this Tutorial on XDA Developers" God Bless TweetyPeety thank him... Btw using the pika at the moment and i love it...

Nice for a first post, now you can sit down. My phone was on Android 2.3.5 (exactly Blur_Version.45.0.1250.MB526.NonEFIGSRetail.en.EU) that time and it still bricked my phone.

Reactions: Root-tooR

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all!

I've started this thread to share experience about the custom ROMs made exclusively for the Defy+, because I haven't seen such a collection topic here before. There's no Defy+ section here yet, and it's sometimes hard to find out if a Defy ROM works on MB526 also. So let's start off with the ROMs I've tried so far:

1. MIUI Pikachu Edition - this ROM has bricked my phone with bootloader error, but I've been able to bring it back to life by flashing this SBF with RSD Lite, which proved as a good base for Defy+ custom ROMs.

2. Epsylon's CM7.2, which had to be modded with camera and battery fix. It has some annoying bugs, and the latest version here is still from 27th January. Better avoid using it.

3. CM7 WhiteRabbit Edition 1.3 - it's just upgraded to 1.4, but the 1.3 I tried was based on the same 27th January build, so same annoying bugs. Looking good and fast as lightning on the other hand. UPDATE: I've asked TweetyPeety in the forum to use the latest Quarx2k CM builds instead of Epsylon's, and he said he would look into it.

4. CM9 by Quarx, build from 18th March. Awesome look, but the GUI is very slow, I suppose the hardware acceleration is not fully implemented yet. The overall operating of this ROM is quite fast though, the Gallery is exceptionally fast, if I overlook the graphical lags. Surprising, but I haven't experienced any stability problems, no FCs, no reboots, everything worked, this one looks super-stable. Only a few features are missing. Keep up the good work, Quarx.

5. CM7.2 by Quarx, build 20120323. I'm using it now, no problems so far. The GUI is a bit less fluid compared to WhiteRabbit. UPDATE: New 20120328 build has arrived!

6. NEW! EuroSkank KANGs for Defy+. No bugs encountered so far, the GUI is a little bit smoother than on Quarx2k's build, but maybe it's just a placebo effect.

7. Nothing But Speed! I'm using it right now, and it's extraordinary. New ROM based on MS2Ginger, tweaked by me, check it out here!

Note: I had to disable CPU management in the 2ndInit bootmenu for Quarx ROMs, otherwise it displays 0MHz as maximum frequency in CM performance settings, cannot be changed, and the CPU does not reach 1GHz.

WARNING! This thread is not for beginners. If you are not familiar with flashing SBF files, installing 2ndInit, installing zipped updates from recovery, doing nandroid backups etc, read this beginner's guide first!
    The Defy+ is just a Defy with the Bayer (red lens) camera (which some Defys have anyway), a larger capacity battery and overclocked to 1GHz (which you can easily do on a rooted Defy). It's exactly the same hardware platform as the red lens Defy and the same ROMs will work on it as on the red lens Defy. There really isn't much point in having separate Defy and Defy+ threads IMO, it would just clutter up the forums and cause confusion.

I don't think so.. Defy+ seems to have some specific issues: problems on camera, battery, new sbf.. If not, why the modders are shipping specific builds for this device?
    The Defy+ is just a Defy with the Bayer (red lens) camera (which some Defys have anyway), a larger capacity battery and overclocked to 1GHz (which you can easily do on a rooted Defy). It's exactly the same hardware platform as the red lens Defy and the same ROMs will work on it as on the red lens Defy. There really isn't much point in having separate Defy and Defy+ threads IMO, it would just clutter up the forums and cause confusion.

But the confusion is already there :D

I don't think so.. Defy+ seems to have some specific issues: problems on camera, battery, new sbf.. If not, why the modders are shipping specific builds for this device?

He is right, you know. DEFY+ is an overclocked bayer camera DEFY with a larger battery.
    *Camera and battery fixes are needed on Epsylon's builds, because he has a SOC DEFY. Quarx's has had a DEFY+ for a short while now, but his builds are already completely adjusted to it (both camera and battery are working completely correctly)

Everybody with an MB526! I've started an all-in-one guide thread for it, since the confusion is obviously very present... Please, ask questions that you have and things you think should be in the guide in private messages! So we don't mess up the thread too quickly.

It's here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1566861

@Goose-T Mate, please don't be offended by this!
    next WhiteRabbit PLUS will be based on the latest QUARX, didn't know his source and Jordan is out of date.
    anybody tried jet the KANG cm7 rom on our defy+? theres a new defy+ nightly out there. can be better then quarx?

I've just installed it. :D The differences at first sight compared to Quarx2k-s builds are:
    • ICS font
    • EuroSkank bootanimation
    • the GUI is a little bit more fluid

I'm updating my list in the first post now.