General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

DankDiesel

Sep 5, 2012
Galaxy Nexus... google all the way. If you are going to root this is the best for custom roms... for example.. Bugless Beast and AOKP started with the galaxy nexus and very few other devices for the new jellybean roms.

naren2623

Jan 9, 2012
chennai
I dude am planed to buy sony tipo or galaxy ace but little confusion which one best for hd gaming...and which one is a stable one pls suggest me....

Sep 6, 2012
Galaxy Nexus... google all the way. If you are going to root this is the best for custom roms... for example.. Bugless Beast and AOKP started with the galaxy nexus and very few other devices for the new jellybean roms.

I'm starting to read that people have horrible reception with the nexus. Unfortunate too as I was probably going to buy one.

gagdude

Jun 10, 2012
Northbrook
I dude am planed to buy sony tipo or galaxy ace but little confusion which one best for hd gaming...and which one is a stable one pls suggest me....

The Galaxy Ace has a slightly better CPU, a better camera, and a larger screen, but lacks in OS version and RAM.
The Xperia Tipo has a smaller screen, Android 4.0.3, and more RAM.
The boost in RAM and OS version probably makes the Tipo the better choice, but you sacrifice screen real estate. Don't expect to get too hardcore on either of these devices though, both are ARMv6

Sent from my DROID2 using xda premium

amitranjan

Aug 23, 2012
New Delhi
What should be my pick???

I have a photon4G that I purchased few months ago. But bcoz of its unusual behaviors like unusual restarts, blackouts, network errors, i am just fed up from the phone. I purchased that from ebay and it was without any warranty. So now I cant return it back.So I want to buy some another stuff, but not photon this time I researched a lot about photon and then I purchased bcoz so It has really deadly h/w combinations.. So my next would be something same to photon.

1. 4 or 4+ inches with Hi Quality display , AMOLED, SUPER AMOLED, QHD, IPS whatever
2. 1GB RAM (512 in worst case)
3. 4GB or + Internal Memory with External Card Support.
5. 1+ Ghz Processor
6. GSM only
7. Andriod only with Upgradable
8. The most imp, can able to install custom roms with ease.
9. Preferable Brands HTC / Motorola {plz do not suggest me buy Sammy/LG/ Sony. I hate these brands} . I can even also try brands like Acer, Dell, HP, Pillips, Panasonic, Toshiba,Casio, Gigabyte, Sharp, Fly or any Chinese or Korean brands like Meizu and Xiami, Blu, Pantech whatever.
10. My Budget is INR 150000-17000 almost USD 250-300

Thanks and waiting for suggestions

Unleashed1985

Sep 6, 2012
I have a photon4G that I purchased few months ago. But bcoz of its unusual behaviors like unusual restarts, blackouts, network errors, i am just fed up from the phone. I purchased that from ebay and it was without any warranty. So now I cant return it back.So I want to buy some another stuff, but not photon this time I researched a lot about photon and then I purchased bcoz so It has really deadly h/w combinations.. So my next would be something same to photon.

1. 4 or 4+ inches with Hi Quality display , AMOLED, SUPER AMOLED, QHD, IPS whatever
2. 1GB RAM (512 in worst case)
3. 4GB or + Internal Memory with External Card Support.
5. 1+ Ghz Processor
6. GSM only
7. Andriod only with Upgradable
8. The most imp, can able to install custom roms with ease.
9. Preferable Brands HTC / Motorola {plz do not suggest me buy Sammy/LG/ Sony. I hate these brands} . I can even also try brands like Acer, Dell, HP, Pillips, Panasonic, Toshiba,Casio, Gigabyte, Sharp, Fly or any Chinese or Korean brands like Meizu and Xiami, Blu, Pantech whatever.
10. My Budget is INR 150000-17000 almost USD 250-300

Thanks and waiting for suggestions

I've done a quick search for you and with your budget and demands it's pretty tough to find a brand new phone which meets your demands. But what about a Panasonic Eluga?

DEFJAMVAN

Aug 3, 2012
New phone or tablet?

I'm currently using the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4g. Its a small gingerbread phone that does everything I need but its feels kinda small in my hands. I'm currently running CM9 on it which is very stable. Should I get a new phone or buy a new tablet(Nexus 7...)? And what type should I get? Thank you for your contributions!

mister2quick

Jun 4, 2009
Shermans Dale, PA
I'm torn... I'm possibly switching jobs and will be losing my company paid phone, which is an AT&T Galaxy Nexus. I'll be moving to a single user plan and I average about 6-7 GB a month. Because of that, Verizon is super expensive, AT&T&T-Mobile coverage is horrible, so that leaves Sprint.

I love the Nexus and the fact that it is the "Google" phone, but the experience on the CDMA phones is not the same as the GSM model, as all of my friends have Verizon Nexuses and I hear their complaints.

Torn between going with the Nexus or the GSIII for Sprint. I'm into Modding, so if the ROM's available for the Nexus are solid performers, its a clear cut win in my book, but battery life is atrocious from what I've heard and the GSIII is twice the price with older software.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Is it possible to talk and surf at the same time with these phones now? If you have LTE?

Last edited:

gagdude

Jun 10, 2012
Northbrook
I'm torn... I'm possibly switching jobs and will be losing my company paid phone, which is an AT&T Galaxy Nexus. I'll be moving to a single user plan and I average about 6-7 GB a month. Because of that, Verizon is super expensive, AT&T&T-Mobile coverage is horrible, so that leaves Sprint.

I love the Nexus and the fact that it is the "Google" phone, but the experience on the CDMA phones is not the same as the GSM model, as all of my friends have Verizon Nexuses and I hear their complaints.

Torn between going with the Nexus or the GSIII for Sprint. I'm into Modding, so if the ROM's available for the Nexus are solid performers, its a clear cut win in my book, but battery life is atrocious from what I've heard and the GSIII is twice the price with older software.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Is it possible to talk and surf at the same time with these phones now? If you have LTE?

The galaxy s3 is a better choice, because its way newer and has BEASTLY specs. Galaxy nexus with Sprint bloatware ruins the purpose of nexus, and it runs an older TI OMAP CPU. It should have great development, so if software is your problem then there's definitely a custom ROM out there. Not only that, but Sammy makes it easy to root their phones (they support cyanogenmod), so that fills in your modding hobby. (NAturally the gnexus should have more development but its not like the s3's is bad)
Physical buttons are also nicer IMO but that's a matter of personal taste.

Sent from my DROID2 using xda premium

luismrosa

Nov 21, 2011
well ive been looking for an android smartphone i was using the lg optimus one the p505 phoenix it was really good but now i want something bigger
i was seeing the nexus one but i ve told that it has hardware problems that is not good so what others model can you suggest me to buy of course the one goes cheaper

how about the motorola droid 2 global

Scath

Jun 23, 2008
Note: I am in T-Mobile and not switching carriers.

I need a phone that can handle my heavy every day usage. I am on a MyTouch 4G modified using Jelly Bean ROM but require something new.

I use my phone for a lot of intensive media; photography, graphics, website design, video and audio production (what can be done via mobile anyway), marketing, social media, networking, hourly emails and lots of phone calls.
----
In a nut shell I feel battery life is tweakable to where its manageable and I know this because I once had 3 days of battery life of constant use after really tweaking the MT4G. This I don't care about it a lot, it matters, but is fixable.
-----
I require an HD screen resolution (because of graphics design??? Wouldn't HD be best?) and an excellent camera. The phone needs to handle hourly use and consistently perform fast with as little lag as possible.
-----
Phones I Researched:
HTC Amaze 4G
HTC One S
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (latest)
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Samsung Galaxy S3
------
Have a phone suggestion? I have no price limit. I would use an unlocked phone if it supports T-Mobile network HSPA+ 1700mhz.

Sent from my Dark JellyBellyG1 using xda premium

Thin_Bezel

May 30, 2012
Paris
true.i also have a galaxy s2 and even after 1.5 years in use its stil as fast as when i bought it.i think i will wait for s4 :)

TeeJay3800

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 31, 2009
Michigan

I need a phone that can handle my heavy every day usage. I am on a MyTouch 4G modified using Jelly Bean ROM but require something new.

I use my phone for a lot of intensive media; photography, graphics, website design, video and audio production (what can be done via mobile anyway), marketing, social media, networking, hourly emails and lots of phone calls.
----
In a nut shell I feel battery life is tweakable to where its manageable and I know this because I once had 3 days of battery life of constant use after really tweaking the MT4G. This I don't care about it a lot, it matters, but is fixable.
-----
I require an HD screen resolution (because of graphics design??? Wouldn't HD be best?) and an excellent camera. The phone needs to handle hourly use and consistently perform fast with as little lag as possible.
-----
Phones I Researched:
HTC Amaze 4G
HTC One S
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy S3
------
Have a phone suggestion? I have no price limit. I would use an unlocked phone if it supports T-Mobile network HSPA+ 1700mhz.
Thanks for posting here. :)

I also have the MT4G and have been considering upgrading as well (been with T-Mobile since 2005, but probably switching due to consistently bad service).

In my opinion, out of your list the only phones worth upgrading to based on their specs are the One S and SGS3. The SGS3 clearly has the most powerful hardware, but the One S has [arguably] a nicer feel in the hand. There's also the difference of UIs...the One S with Sense and the SGS3 with TouchWiz. So unless the physical construction of the phone matters to you, the only deciding factors are power and user interface.

Thin_Bezel

May 30, 2012
Paris
definitely galaxy s3

----
-----
-----
Phones I Researched:
HTC Amaze 4G
HTC One S
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy S3
------

i think you must buy the galaxy s3 because its the best smartphone out there.big screen,the best cpu etc. i would go either the galaxy s3 or either galaxy note 2 :)

Scath

Jun 23, 2008
Yeah but the camera is a factor that bothers me. How good is it..aperture size is Nice You can get the s3 for like 450 now in some places. I thought I read s3 screen wasn't the best..

Last edited:

DocJ8403

Sep 4, 2012
Camp Lejeune
I may be slightly biased seeing as I own one, but am I the only one who feels the Galaxy Nexus offers the most "bang for your buck"? It's hard to believe it's been available for almost a year now, but during my 4 year & counting love affair with phones, this is the ONLY device I feel completely content & satisfied with. Compared to some of todays devices, it is lacking spec-wise (CPU choice, Camera quality), but thanks to the abundance of community support, developers continue to breath new life into this device daily. Granted my Nexus will never benchmark as high as newer phones, I feel it performs just as, if not smoother, than your Galaxy S3 & One X's on a day to day, real world basis thanks to the many different ROM choices & the numerous different tweaks.

"Sexy" isn't a word usually reserved for pieces of plastic & polycarb, but I can't think of a better way to describe the Nexus. It's a huge black slab of... Sexy. When I initially purchased my GSM GN in February of this year, I paid $730.00... Now you can purchased it for only $350.00, straight from Google, with warranty in tact , contract free - looking for a tablet too? For just $199.00 more, you can get a pretty damn amazing & more than capable tablet to go along with it, all for the same , if not less price you'd pay for a One X or S3 alone. For 2 top quality devices, I really don't known how anyone could beat that... I have noooooooo intentions of upgrading my phone until another Samsung built Nexus device is released. Otherwise, I'm rocking with this until the wheels fall off. I, personally, have head bigger problems committing to a phone then I did women, but dare I say: The Nexus has made an honest man out of me lol. Go buy one!

Sent from my GSM Galaxy Nexus

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

The Nexus has all digital (On screen buttons) opposed to physical ones. I went from an AT&T GS2 tova Galaxy Nexus myself - I thought getting used to on-screen buttons would be a pain, but I was soooooo wrong: it was a wonderful decision. Not to mention that the screen resolution & quality in comparison to the Galaxy S2 blows the GS2 away. My personal opinion is that the only screen that is even remotely comparable to it would be the LCD display on the One X, seeing its a non-pentile display. If I were you, you should take her up on that offer: ASAP. Good luck.

DocJ8403

Sep 4, 2012
Camp Lejeune
I'm currently using a GSM G-Nex on AT&T too. Many people don't know , but I'm using the $10.00 MediaNet Unlimited data plan.. So essentially I'm only paying $10 a month for UNLIMITED data opposed to paying $30 for 3GB + $10 each additional GB. Breaking everything down, I save almost $500 over the life of a 2 year contract which is great if I may say so myself.

I agree with you about Verizon & Sprint - CDMA networks kind of "spoil" the whole "Google" experience. I feel bad for those on Verizon who are STILL awaiting official Jellybean updates on their device, which SHOULD of received the update along with its GSM counterparts. I'd say if you ultimately want to go with a CDMA carrier, I'd go with a Galaxy S3 it wait a few weeks & check out the new line of Motorola RAZR devices.. I'm far from a Motorola fan, but they look worth looking into. There's more than a few great Nexus builds out there, so I'd certainly take that into consideration in making your choice. Good luck.

Hey guys,

i am considering to buy myself a new android device and would like to hear some opinions what to go for.

Currently i am owning a Galaxy S2 which is basically my main device for phoning and surfing on the go. Unfortunatly it's battery has some overvoltage issues which doesn't seem to affect battery lifetime. At least for now.

I was considering for something with a bigger screensize for showing pictures, watch movies and surfing at home as well as on the go.

With the Nexus 7 there is a affordable medium size tablet available for 200€ in my country, all specs seem quite ok except for no umts which is very annoying to deal with when on the go. Obviously tethering would be the solution. Which has it's common disadvantages. I was also wondering how the battery lifetime during normal or excessive use would be. Haven't seen any comment on that for now.

My other consideration would be getting a Note 2 as soon as it's released on my contract, which would then also replace my SGS2.

Please give some insight into your ideas.

d3vi13

Sep 4, 2012
maribor
is s3 to small for you or htc with big screens? note is big, it's like calling with a brick. joke, but seriously did you at least seen it live?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    I didn't see a notification for your reply (well, I guess it doesn't send one if you only make an edit) - but thank you.

I have the device now, still in box, I haven't touched it yet. I want to make 100% sure that I have one of the "correct" models that is fully unlocked and and whatever else. How can I be absolutely certain?

On the box it has:
    SKU: GA03694-US
    Model: GWKK3

Got it from amazon.ca (shipped and sold by amazon.ca, as I think I mentioned), and I'm in canada (obviously).
    I'm not sure if looking up the IMEI would give any more information (that would identify it as an unlocked model).

Edit. Forgot, I checked here for any info on if it's an unlocked model. No mention.: https://www.phonemore.com/specs/google/pixel-7a/gwkk3/

Maybe I should've posted this in the Pixel 7a forum...
    Thank you.
    That's a North American unlocked variant, all good :) you should be just fine. There are lots of great ROMs for the 7a.
    Ok. Thanks so much for your help, and the speedy reply too, @traman124. I appreciate it.
    I might actually try out the "stock" software first. I'm thinking about calyx os. But now you have me wondering what else might be out there. So I'll have a search around to see what there is. Maybe I can learn how to better search here on the xda forums for that, haha.

Thanks again.
    You're welcome! I love EvolutionX, LOS, and Calyx for now but there are lots of others :)
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)