Pico TTS has stopped

Search This thread

AndreasMeier

Jul 2, 2012
Hi together,

I have flashed this CustomROM on my HTC Desire:
KitKANG [PRE-ALPHA] - Android 4.4.2 KVT49L / CyanogenMod 11.0 for HTC Desire (GSM) => v0.8

ROM is working perfectly so far, but I recognized, that Text-to-Speech is not working.
I only get error messages when using Google Maps and Navigation or when I want to change the TTS-Engine under Settings > Speech & Input.
Code:
- Maps has stopped working
- Pico TTS has stopped working

When I hit "OK", I will be redirected to the Home screen.

In order to repair the TTS-Engine, I found some instructions to copy the bin-files from CM7 out of the /system/tts/lang_pico-folder
and put it via console in the same directory (which is empty in the a.m. KitKat-ROM).

The instructions were for another device and ROM, but I thought, why not giving it a try - but I failed.
Getting the same error messages again, when I want to start the navigation app.

Any ideas or solutions how to get Pico TTS working correctly ?

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

Dodgexander

Mar 31, 2013
In the latest changelog it mentions spezi removed the TTS to make more space in the system image. Are you using 0.8 or 0.9?

Perhaps try installing them again from here to see if it fixes the problem for you. You could also try this.

At the moment I am running 0.9 and I don't get any force closes like you describe.

Which HBOOT are you running and are you using any a2sd scripts?

AndreasMeier

Jul 2, 2012
In the latest changelog it mentions spezi removed the TTS to make more space in the system image. Are you using 0.8 or 0.9?
I'm currently using 0.8 as mentioned in my first post, end of third line.

Perhaps try installing them again from here to see if it fixes the problem for you. You could also try this.
At the moment I am running 0.9 and I don't get any force closes like you describe.
Ok, I will try one of the two mentioned apps.

Update: I installed both.
I see the second one within the Text-to-Speech menu in the settings, but cannot choose it, before the "Pico TTS has stopped working" error message appeas.
For the first one, I cannot find any app icon.

Which HBOOT are you running
The recommended AlphaRev Jelly Hboot (250/5/182).

and are you using any a2sd scripts?
Yes, I do. I typed "a2sd install" into console as recommended.

Another point, which came to my mind:
I flashed the "Bonus upgrade package for KitKANG v0.8 (replaces CM look&feel with the one from Nexus 5)" too and was trying Google Now just for testing.
Any idea, if that may cause the problem?

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Mar 31, 2013
Not sure what else I can say, perhaps try a fresh install of 0.9 and install the speech synthesis app afterwards from the link I posted before.

Test with no other apps and no a2sd to narrow down what's causing it. Its damn annoying when you get these problems, but often I find just doing a factor reset+wipe dalvik and a fresh install does the trick. It may be something silly such as a2sd or because it may be reading the tts from your sd card instead of internal.

joantwift

Apr 14, 2014
Not sure what else I can say, perhaps try a fresh install of 0.9 and install the speech synthesis app afterwards from the link I posted before.

Test with no other apps and no a2sd to narrow down what's causing it. Its damn annoying when you get these problems, but often I find just doing a factor reset+wipe dalvik and a fresh install does the trick. It may be something silly such as a2sd or because it may be reading the tts from your sd card instead of internal.

thanks, I will try that.