[UPDATE 18/05/13][GUIDE] Spoof WIFI Mac address in Android

Search This thread

devgee

Dec 5, 2011
[UPDATE 18/05/13]
HOW TO SPOOF YOUR MAC ADDRESS IN ANDROID

UPDATE 18/05/2013
App (4.0 and above only ) : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1385577&page=14
DONT FORGET TO THANK HIM !

30/04/2013
App (4.0 and above only ) : http://www.mediafire.com/?qapodo05oc1im06
It is based on the command: busybox ifconfig*eth0/wlan0* hw ether

Thanx to hotsync for this app !

REQUIREMENTS

1) ROOTED PHONE
2) BUSYBOX INSTALLED
3) Terminal App

OPEN UP TERMINAL AND WRITE

:su
:busybox iplink show eth0

(THIS WILL SHOW YOUR CURRENT MAC ADDRESS)

NOW TYPE IN

:busybox ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:11:22:33:44:55

(INSTEAD OF 00:11:22:33:44:55, YOU CAN WRITE YOUR WANTED ADDRESS)

:DCONGRATULATION, YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY SPOOFED YOUR MAC ADDRESS!:D

YOU CAN CHECK YOUR MAC ADDRESS BY TYPING

PS: I CANT GUARANTEE YOU, IF THIS WORKS . BUT IT SHOULD WORK IF YOU GOT BUSYBOX INSTALLED.

(I HAVE TESTED THIS ON THE NEXUS S AND THE GALAXY S2

HTC AND LG DEVICES IS ALSO SAID TO BE WORKING!
)

Last edited:

kyouko

Mar 6, 2010
On some routers you can limit connections to only allow specific mac addresses - this would let you connect without needing to add permissions. possibly at work or a friend's house?
Im not familiar with any use unless you're using backtrack, but that's a whole different topic :D

Reactions: flipmode_11

B-Digital

Apr 9, 2011
the 0 in eth0 is zero, maybe thats the issue

busybox ifconfig will list your devices, i didnt have eth0 (ethernet 0) i had wlan0 (wireless lan 0)

try

busybox ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 00:11:22:33:44:55

alexturry

Aug 8, 2011
Biella
Thanks, I was looking for this..
On GS2 it changes my MAC, however I can’t connect to any wifi network! It always say that the password is wrong.
Can I ask you what rom are you using?
Thanks in advance.

devgee

Dec 5, 2011
I had the same problem, but then i realized that the router was the issue. I found out that this works with router without password and frequency b and g , n does not support
Hope this helped !

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

Reactions: alexturry

allenxx

Nov 22, 2009
Vaughan
could anyone explain how do you get the wifi password out of the ip address? i am a newb to this thing, and i would love to use school network or public

devgee

Dec 5, 2011
Well
There is a software for PC called backtrack where you can get the password from the router
But hacking with phone will be difficult, because the phone needs the suitable WIFI adapter for cracking the router!!

devgee

Dec 5, 2011
I think thats the Bluethoot mac address !!

capoccia

Oct 27, 2008
with last CM7 it doesn't work!

In terminal it change but when I connect to my wifi, in my router I see the old MAC :-(

VTECin5th

Feb 1, 2012
I just wanted to say thanks and offer some insight for anyone having trouble with this.

I was able to do this on my g2 and checking in the ActionTec router to verify. However, it would crash my ActionTec if I didn't time things very good.

Open Terminal.
Type "busybox ifconfig"
I was given results for rmnet0, I assume this is my phone's MAC, not my Wireless MAC. I turned Wi-Fi on and did ifconfig again.
I was given results for eth0.

I then set the eth0 with the method in the first post.
busybox ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:11:22:33:44:55

Then, during an attempt to see these changes in my router, I was no longer able to access my router from my pc. (or from any device)

Then, I went back to wi-fi and it set my eth0 back to default again.
So, I turned wi-fi off, waited in emulator (until my router was fine again) and this time I :
had busybox ifconfig eth0 hw ether :etc: typed out but didn't press enter.

I turned wi-fi on and I kept pressing enter on my terminal until it stopped showing an error for "No such device"

This error exactly in terminal was:
ifconfig:STOCSIFHWADDR: No such device

As soon as my wi-fi actually opened and tried to get an IP, it set it at the perfect time. I was able to see my results in the devices table of my router as well as in ifconfig.

I'm sure there's a better way to do this for my situation/device but for now, I know this works for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Styrke

VTECin5th

Feb 1, 2012
Came back with more info for this method. It's not 100% by any means. Closer to 4/10 times it works.

I've tried a lot of testing with it so far on my home network.

I open terminal, su and type this in so it's ready:
busybox ifconfig eth0 hw ether 11:22:33:44:dd:ee
i submit it so I can track-pad up and get it easily.
I get the same error (no such device)

Then, i turn on wifi and immediately go back into terminal and press enter.
Then, up enter, up enter, up enter 5 times. It doesn't error after the 2nd or 3rd time but I do it a few more times because it seems to work better that way.

Then, I check the table and it shows connection type as network instead of wireless but I still have full internet access with the spoof'd mac.

Next test I cloned my gf's wifi mac while she was browsing on her phone.
I took control of the MAC and her device was no longer able to view websites.
I turned my wifi off and her device picked up where it left off, right away.

I will be doing some further testing throughout the week and try to report anything new/helpful.

Reactions: knauji

joelstitch

Jan 29, 2012
Minneapolis
I got it to do the commands but as soon as it changes the mac address it disconnects from the wifi and when it reconnects it changed my mac address back to normal.

F

F4LLCON

Does not work

Hello,
After doing this, my mac was changed successfully.

I turned of / on wifi.

Followed the steps without being connected to any router/modem.
After my mac was changed, I tried to connect to my modem, but it kept scanning/connecting/disconnecting over and over again.

So when my mac is changed, I can't connect.

Any one knows a good way to fix this?

Cheers

SHOCKER805

Feb 9, 2012
Santa Barbara
I am using a Droid Razr and I found that to access the wifi mac i had to type
busybox iplink set tiwlan0
instead of wlan0 or eth0. BUT here is the next issue i came across. When I changed the mac it said

either "dev" is duplicate, or "00:00:00:00:00:00" is garbage

Ive tried searching for a solution but so far nothing :(
I don't want to permanently change my wifi mac just temp. Anyone else run into this?

btw im using android version 2.3.6 if it matters.

Thanks for any help at all! Its driving me crazy lol

Reactions: devgee

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [UPDATE 18/05/13]
    HOW TO SPOOF YOUR MAC ADDRESS IN ANDROID

UPDATE 18/05/2013
    App (4.0 and above only ) : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1385577&page=14
    DONT FORGET TO THANK HIM !

30/04/2013
    App (4.0 and above only ) : http://www.mediafire.com/?qapodo05oc1im06
    It is based on the command: busybox ifconfig*eth0/wlan0* hw ether

Thanx to hotsync for this app !

REQUIREMENTS

1) ROOTED PHONE
    2) BUSYBOX INSTALLED
    3) Terminal App

OPEN UP TERMINAL AND WRITE

:su

(THIS WILL SHOW YOUR CURRENT MAC ADDRESS)

NOW TYPE IN

:busybox ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:11:22:33:44:55

(INSTEAD OF 00:11:22:33:44:55, YOU CAN WRITE YOUR WANTED ADDRESS)

:DCONGRATULATION, YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY SPOOFED YOUR MAC ADDRESS!:D

YOU CAN CHECK YOUR MAC ADDRESS BY TYPING

PS: I CANT GUARANTEE YOU, IF THIS WORKS . BUT IT SHOULD WORK IF YOU GOT BUSYBOX INSTALLED.

(I HAVE TESTED THIS ON THE NEXUS S AND THE GALAXY S2

HTC AND LG DEVICES IS ALSO SAID TO BE WORKING!
    )
    New version using "busybox ifconfig -a" to detect interface.

View attachment 1962815
    That is not the best way to do it. You are missing the ifconfig <device> up and down commands.

busybox ifconfig //determine device usually eth0
    busybox ifconfig eth0 down //shuts down eth0
    busybox ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:00 //sets eth0's mac to 00...
    busybox ifconfig eth0 up //turn eth0 back on
    busybox ifconfig //check to see if eth0 is set to new mac
    Sure bro!
    May i post it then in the front page?
    All credits will be given to you ;)

Gesendet von meinem HTC One S mit Tapatalk 2

Here you are the app. Only Android >= 4.0

Screenshot_2013-04-29-14-49-17.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?qapodo05oc1im06

It uses the command:
    busybox ifconfig *eth0/wlan0* hw ether to spoof the MAC

Only tested on Galaxy S3 I9300 and Nexus7
    Of course you can post it on front

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    I have the Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 with AOKP Milestone 1. I can spoof the MAC address, but then the network slows down to a crawl and a ping from my router (Netgear wndr3700 using openwrt) reports about 80% packet loss. Disabling and then re-enabling the wifi on the phone fixes the connectivity issues, but then the MAC reverts back to its factory setting. The commands I'm using on the phone:

su
    busybox ifconfig wlan0 down
    busybox ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 00:11:22:33:44:55 (I've tried many different ones too)
    busybox ifconfig wlan0 up

The interface then comes up with the new MAC address, but the connection is extremely slow. I have no MAC address filtering or throttling enabled on my router. I decided to investigate by setting up a spare openwrt based router set to monitor mode to capture the wifi traffic between my device and my main router. What I discovered was that the old MAC address is still being used to spam the network with "request to send" packets. The spoofed mac is being used, but not all the time. Has anyone out there ever had success spoofing the MAC on this phone and actually having it work right?

Okay, since info on this problem is extremely hard to come by, I've investigated the driver source myself so hopefully my findings will help someone else. I'm by no means an expert kernel hacker, just someone who is relatively good at figuring out how stuff works. There appears to be a bug in the bcmdhd kernel driver where some part of the driver is sending out an RTS packet using the original MAC address (why? who knows, I don't know the 802.11 protocol). It is my belief that since the corresponding CTS packet from the router is addressed to the original (wrong) MAC address, the driver never processes it and thinks it was not received and so it tries to send another RTS packet. This continues several times until the driver gives up for about 10 seconds or so and then the process repeats. Rather than dig too deep into the code, I realized there is already code in place to allow a custom MAC setting by default (without having to use ifconfig). If you define GET_CUSTOM_MAC_ENABLE in the driver's Makefile, and enable the "example code (very simple/hardcoded MAC address)" in dhd_custom_gpio.c, then after a reboot your device will come up with the new MAC (yay!) And it works perfectly. That's the only way I've actually been able to spoof the MAC address on this device.