[CM][i705][VZW-LTE] CM12.1 Unofficial

Search This thread

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
CyanogenMod 12.1 is a free, community built distribution of Android 5.1 (LolliPop) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

This is the unofficial Build of CM12.1 for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 I705 VZW LTE version.
**IMPORTANT** I705VRBLL2 FW required,if you have taken the latest OTA, and were not already rooted/unlocked you will not be able to use this ROM.
There is not root/unlock solution for the latest OTA. See more info in the last few pages of the linked root /unlock threads below.

To hear about the latest updates and changes to CyanogenMod as a whole, please follow +CyanogenMod on Google+!

Code:
#include 
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

Installation Instructions (These are all required)
ROOT and BOOTLOADER unlock required following the linked guides.
Flash THIS custom TWRP recovery with SELinux capabilities.
Download latest ALPHA from http://downloads.codefi.re/jrior001/cm/espressovzw.
Locate 5.1 Gapps via a quick Google search.
Wipe factory/data reset in recovery before installing CM12.1 (unless you are already on a CM12.1 build).
Reboot into recovery and install ROM and gapps.

Known Issues:
LTE radio - Acts up at times requiring a reboot. Causes wakelocks
GPS sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Reboot usually fixes it.
CAMERA - 720p recording fails, all other resolutions work well
USB wakelocks after removing USB cable, "USB Connected" pop-up doesn't go away.
OTG/keyboard dock doesn't work at all

Overall device is smooth and stable minus the above listed issues. I will continue to work on these but wanted to get some feedback on this so far as well. I'm open to assistance if anybody else has one of these and some talent and wants to help.

Huge thanks:
@invisiblek and the rest of the Samsung MSM8960 device maintainers, without there work to follow this would have never happened..

These build utilize the existing samsung 8960 device trees and the 3.4 d2 caf kernel hosted at CM github as well as the following:
https://github.com/jrior001/android_device_samsung_espressovzw

XDA:DevDB Information
CM12.1 i705 TAB2 VZWLTE, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Contributors
jrior001, jrior001
Source Code: https://github.com/jrior001/

ROM OS Version: Lollipop
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
ROM Firmware Required: i705VRBLL2
Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2015-02-08
Last Updated 2015-09-05

Last edited:

rippedwarrior69

Nov 2, 2009
I have been waiting for this forever thank you so much. I was almost giving up on this tablet. Thank you for the hard work. I love me some lollipop.

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
I have been waiting for this forever thank you so much. I was almost giving up on this tablet. Thank you for the hard work. I love me some lollipop.

I'm not as experienced as some others so this took 3 attempts I think...in between 3-4 month breaks to get the 3.4 kernel booting but I finally got it.

I've got GPS fixed and I'm close on USB. Its proper in windows I think but Linux connectivity is still giving me issues. I'll try to get a new build up in a few days with all that.

Reactions: rippedwarrior69

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
2/28 build is up now, GPS and USB should be proper. OTG/dock still not working but not a major concern for now.

rippedwarrior69

Nov 2, 2009
This ROM is great. I installed peel ir remote app but it says this tab does not have ir blaster. It does have a ir blaster. Is that only a touchwiz app?

Reactions: jrior001

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
For those who have tried this ROM, can anyone confirm whether or not wireless data is working? I don't have a vzw account to test with.

Nicklag

Oct 29, 2010
brandon
I can confirm that data is working. Thank you for breathing new life in this tablet
Edit. Had running for a full day and data works most of the time. A soft reboot fixes it though

Last edited:
Reactions: jrior001

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
I can confirm that data is working. Thank you for breathing new life in this tablet
Edit. Had running for a full day and data works most of the time. A soft reboot fixes it though
If you wouldn't mind I'd like to see the logs when it craps out. I still have some hacks in place for debugging. When it acts up, reboot to recovery and grab the following:

/data/data/logcat.txt
/data/data/kmsg.text
/data/data/radio.txt

Oh and there is a newer recovery build and an updated build at the download link.

Last edited:

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
I'm dropping the "ALPHA" label at this point. Everything that should be working seems to be in order at this point and the builds are more than reasonably stable. I just uploaded a fresh build w/f2fs support on /data and /cache if anybody is interested in using that. Changing /data to f2fs will require a FULL factory reset and SDCARD wipe as sdcard is emulated on /data/media so be prepared to lose EVERYTHING. TWRP 2.8.5 is required if you wish to reformat anything as f2fs. Both are available at my codefire download link in the OP.

A few minor annoyances remain:
Charging is painfully slow.
USB OTG doesn't work at all.
Plugging USB to PC tends to create some nasty wakelocks.
LTE data is glitchy.
Keyboard dock support hasn't been brought in.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod 12.1 is a free, community built distribution of Android 5.1 (LolliPop) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

This is the unofficial Build of CM12.1 for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 I705 VZW LTE version.
    **IMPORTANT** I705VRBLL2 FW required,if you have taken the latest OTA, and were not already rooted/unlocked you will not be able to use this ROM.
    There is not root/unlock solution for the latest OTA. See more info in the last few pages of the linked root /unlock threads below.

To hear about the latest updates and changes to CyanogenMod as a whole, please follow +CyanogenMod on Google+!

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

Installation Instructions (These are all required)
    ROOT and BOOTLOADER unlock required following the linked guides.
    Flash THIS custom TWRP recovery with SELinux capabilities.
    Download latest ALPHA from http://downloads.codefi.re/jrior001/cm/espressovzw.
    Locate 5.1 Gapps via a quick Google search.
    Wipe factory/data reset in recovery before installing CM12.1 (unless you are already on a CM12.1 build).
    Reboot into recovery and install ROM and gapps.

Known Issues:
    LTE radio - Acts up at times requiring a reboot. Causes wakelocks
    GPS sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Reboot usually fixes it.
    CAMERA - 720p recording fails, all other resolutions work well
    USB wakelocks after removing USB cable, "USB Connected" pop-up doesn't go away.
    OTG/keyboard dock doesn't work at all

Overall device is smooth and stable minus the above listed issues. I will continue to work on these but wanted to get some feedback on this so far as well. I'm open to assistance if anybody else has one of these and some talent and wants to help.

Huge thanks:
    @invisiblek and the rest of the Samsung MSM8960 device maintainers, without there work to follow this would have never happened..

These build utilize the existing samsung 8960 device trees and the 3.4 d2 caf kernel hosted at CM github as well as the following:
    https://github.com/jrior001/android_device_samsung_espressovzw

XDA:DevDB Information
    CM12.1 i705 TAB2 VZWLTE, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Contributors
    jrior001, jrior001
    Source Code: https://github.com/jrior001/

ROM OS Version: Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: i705VRBLL2
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2015-02-08
    Last Updated 2015-09-05
    Great...!!!...I see a bit lonely here....whatever..great work sir.

It is lonely here but whatever, i'm still working on it in my spare time. Fixed camera in new build i just uploaded. Also BT is working, sort of....sometimes. Not sure whats going on with BT but i'll keep at it.
    Update time...
    Fully focused on 12.1 at this point. I have managed to get most of my changed merged into CM to support the vzw tab 2. All my kernel changes got merged last night into the gs3 kernel. Here's a fresh build for those following along.
    http://downloads.codefi.re/jrior001/cm/espressovzw/cm-12.1-20150428-UNOFFICIAL-espressovzw.zip

Current state of affairs:
    BT got some big fixups this week, actually usable now.
    Zram has been enabled in kernel, adds 256 MB of compressed swap space to RAM. Next best thing to having more RAM. This adds a lot to overall performance.
    Video cam is still broken
    Radio/USB wakelocks issues persist, luckily we have a big battery.

I'm not as experienced as some others so this took 3 attempts I think...in between 3-4 month breaks to get the 3.4 kernel booting but I finally got it.

I've got GPS fixed and I'm close on USB. Its proper in windows I think but Linux connectivity is still giving me issues. I'll try to get a new build up in a few days with all that.
    just wanted to say thanks jrior001.
    I thought this device was dead as far as development. I will give your ROM a run.
    I don't have a SIM for this device anymore so unfortunately I won't be able to provide any input on the cell radio functionality.
    Thanks again for breathing some life back into this device.