[MOD]CM 12.1 Unofficial PARTITION MOD EvitaX

Search This thread

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
CyanogenMod 12.1 is a free, community built distribution of Android 5.1.1 (LolliPop) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

This is the UNOFFICIAL Weekly Build of CM12.1 for the AT&T HTC One XL based on current Nightlies w/ HEAVILY MODIFIED PARTITION SCHEME.
**SWITCHING TO THESE BUILDS WILL REQUIRE A FULL DEVICE WIPE. BACKUP EVERYTHING**

Our /userdata partiton is to small for LP and art opts for apps and fill up quickly. These builds provide a long term solution to this by re-arranging which partitions are used to house which files systems. Here's how it's done:

1. by-name/fat {~12GB US, ~23GB EU models}(previously our internal_sdcard storage) -> is now used for /data, which will include a /data/media style sdcard like what is used on newer android devices
  2. by-name/userdata {~2.5GB} (previously our /data partition) -> is now used to house /system. This now larger /system dir is big enough to allow for full dex-preopt which will speed up first boot but results in larger zip files
  3. by-name/system {~1.5 GB} previously used for /system is no longer used.

To hear about the latest updates and changes to CyanogenMod as a whole, please follow +CyanogenMod on Google+!

Code:
#include 
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

Installation Instructions (These are all required)
FOLLOW THESE STEPS CLOSELY

IF COMING FROM CM-12.1 OFFICIAL BUILDS
SKIP TO STEP 3

THE MODIFIED RECOVERY LISTED BELOW SUPPORTS BOTH LAYOUTS
wiping "by-name/system" as EXT4 or FAT will enable TWRP to swtich back and forth
from EVITA <-> EVITAX

1. S-Off your device (Do this before RUU'ing and it will not wipe your /sdcard).
  2. Update to 3.18 RUU or later.
  3. BACKUP EVEYTHING YOU WANT TO KEEP TO A PC/OTG DRIVE WE WILL BE WIPING EVERYTHING
  4. Flash this custom TWRP recovery that supports EvitaX scheme.
  5. Reboot to recovery, From the "WIPE" menu choose "ADVANCED WIPE", then manually change /system to "FAT" format.
  6. Reboot to recovery again to allow TWRP to setup the modified partition layout. From the "WIPE" menu choose FORMAT DATA, then manually wipe from the advanced wipe menu: /system, /cache, /dalvik
  7. Reboot to recovery again to allow TWRP to setup it's storage and configs on the newly formatted /data partition
  8. Download latest build from theflamingskull.com/evita.html .
  9. Locate 5.1 Gapps via a quick Google search.( I prefer opengapps.org )
  10. Use "adb push", "adb sideload", or MTP to trasfer ROM/GAPPS to device
  11. Install ROM and gapps.
  12. Enjoy Quick boot up and usable space for apps.

TO REVERT TO STOCK LAYOUT:
The modified recovery mounts the old "by-name/system" partition as sdcard1 for easy revert.
  1. reboot to recovery
  2. In recovery, wipe /system using the "Advanced wipe" menu. Select "Sdcard1" and use the "Change File System" option to convert /Sdcard1 to EXT4.
  3. reboot to recovery, the standard fstab will load.
  4. Wipe all partitions as instructed above and proceed to flash desired ROM/gapps.
FOR OTHER DEVS:
To build with this new layout you will need
http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/124797/1

If anybody really want's to build recovery on thier own the modded
tree can be found here:
https://github.com/jrior001/twrp-htc-evita/tree/twrp-dm

List all Questions and Off-Topic discussions here

Huge thanks:
h8rift,intervigil, deck, mdmower, invisiblek, flyhalf205 - Great team to work with for the HTC MSM8960 device family.

XDA:DevDB Information
CM12.1 EvitaX Unofficial, ROM for the AT&T HTC One X

Contributors
jrior001
Source Code: https://github.com/CyanogenMod

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
ROM Firmware Required: hboot 2.14 or higher
Based On: CM

Version Information

Created 2015-12-17
Last Updated 2016-01-03

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
Reserved

Revised Partition Layout

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-15-22-39-44.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-15-22-39-44.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,092
Last edited:
Going to test it out, will report back, using f2fs on data and cache before switching twrp versions and it seems to have kept the partition scheme of that after wiping, hopefully no problems from that

Update: So it installed well, no errors i've seen, installs apks very nice and quick, no freezes of any kind, overall very solid rom

Last edited:

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
Sir Is there any way to use /system partition as sd card or for swap.
Both of those "could" be done in theory.

Its only ~1.2 GB, I didn't really even consider mounting it as sdcard because its so small.

For swap, the zram feature we already added a while back is considerably faster than swap on a ext4 partiton so I wouldn't advise doing this.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sam3087

Toqeer

Account currently disabled
Dec 1, 2014
GB
meettomy.site
So installed flawlessly without any error after running couple of hours it seems heavy battery draining even 11% within 15 minutes however all other things works like a charm, will be report back after a day. One question sir can I flash torched kernel?

Sam3087

Aug 26, 2011
Chennai
@jrior001 - First of all, awesome work. Evita is one of the best devices around and I've been owning it since 2013. Its so unfortunate that Evita didnt get a partition update like Jewel got. This is simply awesome.

2 questions:
What needs to be done if we decide to switch back to a sense rom?
The 1.2 GB that is free is lost/wasted? Can that be added to the 12GB? Reason i ask is, my Evita has only 16GB, which already is pretty less considering how easy it has become to find 64GB devices.
Its only ~1.2 GB, I didn't really even consider mounting it as sdcard because its so small.
Haha, only 1.2GB :) With 16GB in the hood, 1.2GB is like 16%
Can we utilize that 1.2GB space as well? Can it be added to /data so that its added space could be used as well.

:good:

Last edited:

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
@jrior001 - First of all, awesome work. Evita is one of the best devices around and I've been owning it since 2013. Its so unfortunate that Evita didnt get a partition update like Jewel got. This is simply awesome.

2 questions:
What needs to be done if we decide to switch back to a sense rom?
The 1.2 GB that is free is lost/wasted? Can that be added to the 12GB? Reason i ask is, my Evita has only 16GB, which already is pretty less considering how easy it has become to find 64GB devices.

Haha, only 1.2GB :) With 16GB in the hood, 1.2GB is like 16%
Can we utilize that 1.2GB space as well? Can it be added to /data so that its added space could be used as well.

:good:
1. Flash your old regular twrp back and wipe everything! Reformat sdcard to fat32/vfat and reflash normal build ROM.

2. If anything it would have to be mounted as a separate "internal sdcard" similar to how the old sdcard was mounted. Its possible but its messy and confusing. I was trying to keep this as clean and simple as possible.

There was also some talk of moving cache to that partition but honestly were not gaining enough to any of it all that exciting

droydr

Feb 25, 2014
is the TWRP 2.8.7.0 EvitaX version a modified recovery from the original? i already have the regular 2.8.7.0 version installed but wondering if it would accept the 12.1 EvitaX rom?

Last edited:

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
is the TWRP 2.8.7.0 EvitaX version a modified recovery from the original? i already have the regular 2.8.7.0 version installed but wondering if it would accept the 12.1 EvitaX rom?
If you want to use this modified ROM, then the modified EvitaX recovery is required. It is matched to the new partition layout. This is not optional.

Reactions: bupkis and droydr

thelonewolf_pav

Jun 24, 2007
Hi jrior,

First of all, everything is working great! Thank you so much for your efforts!
I've two questions, though.

1. The ROM says that there is an upgrade and suggests what looks like a regular CM12.1 download. If I let it upgrade, it will bootloop, right?
2. What if I want to install another ROM using the same configuration? Would I have to rebuild the entire ROM or would it be enough to replace storage_list.xml, fstab and init.target.rc? I see that there is also a mk file there which implies that something must be built. What if I skip this step?

Thanks!

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
Hi jrior,

First of all, everything is working great! Thank you so much for your efforts!
I've two questions, though.

1. The ROM says that there is an upgrade and suggests what looks like a regular CM12.1 download. If I let it upgrade, it will bootloop, right?
2. What if I want to install another ROM using the same configuration? Would I have to rebuild the entire ROM or would it be enough to replace storage_list.xml, fstab and init.target.rc? I see that there is also a mk file there which implies that something must be built. What if I skip this step?

Thanks!

1. Yes this is a problem I can't work around, luckily my recovery won't let you flash that build.
2. Yes that ROM would need to be rebuilt. The storage.XML gets imbedded in frameworks.jar and can't just be copied ROM to ROM

thelonewolf_pav

Jun 24, 2007
1. Yes this is a problem I can't work around, luckily my recovery won't let you flash that build.
2. Yes that ROM would need to be rebuilt. The storage.XML gets imbedded in frameworks.jar and can't just be copied ROM to ROM

Cool, thanks man!

So, there is actually one feature (so far) that I'm missing in the PAC ROM, namely: ambient display. That is, the display would come on whenever I pass my hand over the phone. This was actually very useful for me, and battery penalty was minimal. I remember trying to cook this into some other ROM, and managed to get the options showing in the settings menu, but the thing never actually worked for me. Would you know how to add this feature?

Otherwise, it's a great ROM, everything is super smooth, zero glitches so far.

thelonewolf_pav

Jun 24, 2007
Hey jrior001 man,
Can I waste a couple of minutes more of your time? :)

So, I'm trying to get your ROM to have ambient display. I installed xposed and added a module that enables it in settings (effectively, it does the same thing as recompiling SystemUI and framework-res and changing flags like doze_display_state_supported and config_dozeAfterScreenOff. I guess you know what I'm talking about. I looked at the original java code, and all it seems to do is enter the daydream state with some special mode enabled.

So, everything seems to be working great, but instead of getting the dimmed black-and-white display, I get nothing, the display stays blank. Doze is working though, because the moment I touch the screen, it comes up in full color just as it should. So, it does wake up and enter daydream, but just doesn't show anything.

Now, looking at logcats at that time, here's what I see:

Code:
E/qdoverlay(  160): Failed to call ioctl MSMFB_DISPLAY_COMMIT err=Operation not permitted
E/qdoverlay(  160): static bool overlay::eek:verlay::displayCommit(const int&, uint32_t): commit failed
E/qdhwcomposer(  160): hwc_set_primary: display commit fail for 0 dpy!
E/qdoverlay(  160): Failed to call ioctl MSMFB_OVERLAY_SET err=Operation not permitted
E/qdoverlay(  160): MdpCtrl failed to setOverlay, restoring last known good ov info
E/qdoverlay(  160): == Bad OVInfo is:  mdp_overlay z=0 fg=1 alpha=255 mask=-1 flags=0x40000 id=-1
E/qdoverlay(  160): src msmfb_img w=736 h=1280 format=0 MDP_RGB_565
E/qdoverlay(  160): src_rect mdp_rect x=0 y=0 w=720 h=1280
E/qdoverlay(  160): dst_rect mdp_rect x=0 y=0 w=720 h=1280
E/qdoverlay(  160): == Last good known OVInfo is:  mdp_overlay z=0 fg=0 alpha=0 mask=0 flags=0x0 id=-1
E/qdoverlay(  160): src msmfb_img w=0 h=0 format=0 MDP_RGB_565
E/qdoverlay(  160): src_rect mdp_rect x=0 y=0 w=0 h=0
E/qdoverlay(  160): dst_rect mdp_rect x=0 y=0 w=0 h=0
E/qdoverlay(  160): MdpCtrl Lkgo ov has id -1, will not restore
E/qdoverlay(  160): Ctrl commit failed set overlay
E/qdhwcomposer(  160): configureLowRes: commit failed for low res panel
E/qdoverlay(  160): Failed to call ioctl MSMFB_OVERLAY_SET err=Operation not permitted
E/qdoverlay(  160): MdpCtrl failed to setOverlay, restoring last known good ov info
E/qdoverlay(  160): == Bad OVInfo is:  mdp_overlay z=0 fg=0 alpha=255 mask=-1 flags=0x20000 id=-1
E/qdoverlay(  160): src msmfb_img w=736 h=1280 format=13 MDP_RGBA_8888
E/qdoverlay(  160): == Last good known OVInfo is:  mdp_overlay z=0 fg=0 alpha=0 mask=0 flags=0x0 id=-1
E/qdhwcomposer(  160): configure: configMdp failed for dpy 0
E/qdhwcomposer(  160): hwc_sync: ioctl MSMFB_BUFFER_SYNC failed, err=Operation not permitted
E/qdhwcomposer(  160): hwc_sync: acq_fen_fd_cnt=1 flags=0 fd=15 dpy=0 numHwLayers=3

This repeats many times until the phone goes back to sleep or until I touch the screen and wake it up.
Strangely enough, regular daydreams do work, and clock, for example, displays fine on a dimmed black-and-white screen.

Any ideas where to look?
Thanks in advance!

jrior001

Aug 12, 2010
Va Beach
Hey jrior001 man,
Can I waste a couple of minutes more of your time? :)

So, I'm trying to get your ROM to have ambient display. I installed xposed and added a module that enables it in settings (effectively, it does the same thing as recompiling SystemUI and framework-res and changing flags like doze_display_state_supported and config_dozeAfterScreenOff. I guess you know what I'm talking about. I looked at the original java code, and all it seems to do is enter the daydream state with some special mode enabled.

So, everything seems to be working great, but instead of getting the dimmed black-and-white display, I get nothing, the display stays blank. Doze is working though, because the moment I touch the screen, it comes up in full color just as it should. So, it does wake up and enter daydream, but just doesn't show anything.

Now, looking at logcats at that time, here's what I see:

Code:
E/qdoverlay(  160): Failed to call ioctl MSMFB_DISPLAY_COMMIT err=Operation not permitted
E/qdoverlay(  160): static bool overlay::eek:verlay::displayCommit(const int&, uint32_t): commit failed
E/qdhwcomposer(  160): hwc_set_primary: display commit fail for 0 dpy!
E/qdoverlay(  160): == Bad OVInfo is:  mdp_overlay z=0 fg=1 alpha=255 mask=-1 flags=0x40000 id=-1
E/qdoverlay(  160): src msmfb_img w=736 h=1280 format=0 MDP_RGB_565
E/qdhwcomposer(  160): configureLowRes: commit failed for low res panel
E/qdoverlay(  160): == Bad OVInfo is:  mdp_overlay z=0 fg=0 alpha=255 mask=-1 flags=0x20000 id=-1
E/qdoverlay(  160): src msmfb_img w=736 h=1280 format=13 MDP_RGBA_8888
E/qdhwcomposer(  160): configure: configMdp failed for dpy 0
E/qdhwcomposer(  160): hwc_sync: ioctl MSMFB_BUFFER_SYNC failed, err=Operation not permitted
E/qdhwcomposer(  160): hwc_sync: acq_fen_fd_cnt=1 flags=0 fd=15 dpy=0 numHwLayers=3

This repeats many times until the phone goes back to sleep or until I touch the screen and wake it up.
Strangely enough, regular daydreams do work, and clock, for example, displays fine on a dimmed black-and-white screen.

Any ideas where to look?
Thanks in advance!
We need like 3 patches for it to work... I'll try to grab them and get another 12.1 evitaX build up tom maybe.

Reactions: thelonewolf_pav

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod 12.1 is a free, community built distribution of Android 5.1.1 (LolliPop) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

This is the UNOFFICIAL Weekly Build of CM12.1 for the AT&T HTC One XL based on current Nightlies w/ HEAVILY MODIFIED PARTITION SCHEME.
    **SWITCHING TO THESE BUILDS WILL REQUIRE A FULL DEVICE WIPE. BACKUP EVERYTHING**

Our /userdata partiton is to small for LP and art opts for apps and fill up quickly. These builds provide a long term solution to this by re-arranging which partitions are used to house which files systems. Here's how it's done:

1. by-name/fat {~12GB US, ~23GB EU models}(previously our internal_sdcard storage) -> is now used for /data, which will include a /data/media style sdcard like what is used on newer android devices
    2. by-name/userdata {~2.5GB} (previously our /data partition) -> is now used to house /system. This now larger /system dir is big enough to allow for full dex-preopt which will speed up first boot but results in larger zip files
    3. by-name/system {~1.5 GB} previously used for /system is no longer used.

To hear about the latest updates and changes to CyanogenMod as a whole, please follow +CyanogenMod on Google+!

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

Installation Instructions (These are all required)
    FOLLOW THESE STEPS CLOSELY

IF COMING FROM CM-12.1 OFFICIAL BUILDS
    SKIP TO STEP 3

THE MODIFIED RECOVERY LISTED BELOW SUPPORTS BOTH LAYOUTS
    wiping "by-name/system" as EXT4 or FAT will enable TWRP to swtich back and forth
    from EVITA <-> EVITAX

1. S-Off your device (Do this before RUU'ing and it will not wipe your /sdcard).
    2. Update to 3.18 RUU or later.
    3. BACKUP EVEYTHING YOU WANT TO KEEP TO A PC/OTG DRIVE WE WILL BE WIPING EVERYTHING
    4. Flash this custom TWRP recovery that supports EvitaX scheme.
    5. Reboot to recovery, From the "WIPE" menu choose "ADVANCED WIPE", then manually change /system to "FAT" format.
    6. Reboot to recovery again to allow TWRP to setup the modified partition layout. From the "WIPE" menu choose FORMAT DATA, then manually wipe from the advanced wipe menu: /system, /cache, /dalvik
    7. Reboot to recovery again to allow TWRP to setup it's storage and configs on the newly formatted /data partition
    8. Download latest build from theflamingskull.com/evita.html .
    9. Locate 5.1 Gapps via a quick Google search.( I prefer opengapps.org )
    10. Use "adb push", "adb sideload", or MTP to trasfer ROM/GAPPS to device
    11. Install ROM and gapps.
    12. Enjoy Quick boot up and usable space for apps.

TO REVERT TO STOCK LAYOUT:
    The modified recovery mounts the old "by-name/system" partition as sdcard1 for easy revert.
    1. reboot to recovery
    2. In recovery, wipe /system using the "Advanced wipe" menu. Select "Sdcard1" and use the "Change File System" option to convert /Sdcard1 to EXT4.
    3. reboot to recovery, the standard fstab will load.
    4. Wipe all partitions as instructed above and proceed to flash desired ROM/gapps.
    FOR OTHER DEVS:
    To build with this new layout you will need
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/124797/1

If anybody really want's to build recovery on thier own the modded
    tree can be found here:
    https://github.com/jrior001/twrp-htc-evita/tree/twrp-dm

List all Questions and Off-Topic discussions here

Huge thanks:
    h8rift,intervigil, deck, mdmower, invisiblek, flyhalf205 - Great team to work with for the HTC MSM8960 device family.

XDA:DevDB Information
    CM12.1 EvitaX Unofficial, ROM for the AT&T HTC One X

Contributors
    jrior001
    Source Code: https://github.com/CyanogenMod

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: hboot 2.14 or higher
    Based On: CM

Version Information

Created 2015-12-17
    Last Updated 2016-01-03
    Reserved

Revised Partition Layout
    Wow! Perfect. I guess there are still some loyal Evita users who would be very thankful to you. Excellent job adding this feature.
    One quick question. I really miss your torched kernel. Any chances of adding support to this build?? I miss the double tap to wake feature and kernel additions.
    Fresh torched update now available as well. Not much added, just catch up to CM and the few ambient display required patches.

The latest update 2.5 is missing double to wake feature. Synapse also tells me UCI not available in kernel. Am I missing something ??
    Looks like what I tested and what I uploaded don't match, rebuilding new ones, give me 20 mins or so and I'll have fresh ones uploaded

Edit: fixed

If you want to use this modified ROM, then the modified EvitaX recovery is required. It is matched to the new partition layout. This is not optional.