Verizon P905V Note Pro12.2 LTE Root & Recovery Bounty

Search This thread

tdetroit

Sep 17, 2008
Detroit, MI
Install newer version of SuperSU, one from play does not install binary to any of NP 12.2 models (if it's still 1.94)
Go HERE and download .zip, unzip it and find Superuser.apk from there and install it. Then try to install binary.

I'm not saying this will work for sure.. but that's how all the others are doing when rooting with towelroot, like me for my international version.

I think it's just the Verizon version that it's not working on.

aburns7487

Mar 14, 2011
Towelroot v3 works to root this version without tripping knox 0x0. I like that it has added some capabilities that i was looking for but now we need custom recovery (TWRP). How does one pull recovery? Someone had posted the software for p905v. I can share it from my mega acct. https://mega.co.nz/#!WFB21CzA!TLRT_CQC1Dmj1O6Rd3FM_FLLKue-rktvxX-wCbdDG0w

Hopefully someone can get this figured out for Bigbiff over on twrp

Sent from my SM-P905V using XDA Free mobile app

bbro84

Aug 17, 2011
DFW
Towelroot v3 works to root this version without tripping knox 0x0. I like that it has added some capabilities that i was looking for but now we need custom recovery (TWRP). How does one pull recovery? Someone had posted the software for p905v. I can share it from my mega acct. https://mega.co.nz/#!WFB21CzA!TLRT_CQC1Dmj1O6Rd3FM_FLLKue-rktvxX-wCbdDG0w

I successfully rooted with towel root(link provided here). I am now facing hot reboots at almost every wake up. Root is confirmed, now we need customer recovery. I'm in for 50 USD if someone gets on this.

WorldOfJohnboy

Mar 23, 2011
Syracuse
Crap, I was looking to get a new Note Pro from Verizon, but seeing this thread hasn't been touched since last August, I'm not feeling to good about the prospects.

It annoys me that all the other variants get Dev love, and the Verizon versions are left by the wayside. :(

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Crap, I was looking to get a new Note Pro from Verizon, but seeing this thread hasn't been touched since last August, I'm not feeling to good about the prospects.

It annoys me that all the other variants get Dev love, and the Verizon versions are left by the wayside. :(

Well word is that the bootloader for the Verizon version is locked so..... Don't blame the devs.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

WorldOfJohnboy

Mar 23, 2011
Syracuse
Well word is that the bootloader for the Verizon version is locked so..... Don't blame the devs.

Yes, but the Devs are the ones that can unlock bootloaders. Every time a new Android tablet is released, the Wi-Fi and non-Verizon variants get all the love from Developers while those with VZW Tablets are stuck twiddling our thumbs. I get the fact that Verizon is being douchey by locking them down, but that doesn't usually stop someone from cracking it.

Take a look at the HTC One M8--VZW made HTCDev.com unavailable for their phones, but someone achieved S-Off and Root within a few weeks of the phone's release.

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yes, but the Devs are the ones that can unlock bootloaders. Every time a new Android tablet is released, the Wi-Fi and non-Verizon variants get all the love from Developers while those with VZW Tablets are stuck twiddling our thumbs. I get the fact that Verizon is being douchey by locking them down, but that doesn't usually stop someone from cracking it.

Take a look at the HTC One M8--VZW made HTCDev.com unavailable for their phones, but someone achieved S-Off and Root within a few weeks of the phone's release.

In general devs dev for devices they own and use . . Given the locked bootloader a dev may not want to purchase a Verizon tablet and have to deal with that major hurdle before digging into the fun part of developing a ROM for it. My experience with the Verizon Galaxy Tab 10.1 left a bad taste in my mouth. It at least had some development but still...

Hopefully something comes for you folks but I don't have my hopes up.

I find it scary these days that unlock isn't as easy as it once was. It blows my mind that the bounties are so high for the Verizon and AT&T Note 4's for example. In case you haven't seen it here's a link; http://xdaforums.com/note-4-att/general/bounty-att-note-4-root-knox-list-pledges-t2946770

Can you imagine a $20k payday for a successful unlock and root that works on both variants?

I wonder if this is a record high bounty on XDA . .

Last edited:

zefie

Dec 30, 2007
Upstate NY
the.midnightchannel.net
I've been looking into this and here is what I have tried so far:

• Flash TWRP viennaltexx via Odin (fails, with auth error)
  • Flash TWRP viennaltexx dd directly to partition (flashes, but will not boot with SECURE FAIL)
  • Attempt to modify TWRP with kernel from original recovery, and initrd from TWRP (fail, same as above)
  • Flashing the stock image via dd directory to partition (works, so check is in boot not flashing)

What I have not tried yet:
  • Attempt to replace bootloader (aboot) with non-locked bootloader from non-verizon viennaltexx model
  • Find more info about Qualcomm SecureBoot to attempt to self sign or otherwise bypass security.

So I am guessing the image itself is signed and not just the kernel. If anyone has more info on Qualcomm SecureBoot it may help.

Last edited:

finedesignz

Oct 7, 2010
Bump... still looking for a root for the SM-P905V running 5.1.1.

It's a really great tablet... but would be better if it was rooted. :)

Budley007

Jan 25, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
No love for SM-P905V

I check this forum about once every couple of months with hopes that someone finally rooted Lollipop for this tablet. I've been sitting on KitKat root since 2014, and it looks like that's where I'll be for good. This place is becoming a ghost town.

Such a shame too. Even today, this is still a fantastic tablet.

Reactions: cmcnabb and dzigns

firefly6240

Jan 8, 2010
Brookshire TX
If 5.1.1 has been rooted , could you post who did and how it was done Please ?

Thanks

there appear to be 3 builds of 5.1.1 so far.
the first has had success with kingroot. the others have not been rooted so far.

P905VVRUANK5 - rootable with kingroot (though some people noted they had to run it multiple times)
P905VVRUBOH1 - not rootable so far
P905VVRSBPL1 - not rootable so far

you can find your version in settings > about device > baseband version

link to thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2795630&page=12

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

No love for SM-P905V

I check this forum about once every couple of months with hopes that someone finally rooted Lollipop for this tablet. I've been sitting on KitKat root since 2014, and it looks like that's where I'll be for good. This place is becoming a ghost town.

Such a shame too. Even today, this is still a fantastic tablet.
    I feel like someone on the CF root thead noted they were successful at rooting out version. I had asked and was no response. I think it was a few pages back, I'll do some digging.

Nope, I just checked and it's not been possible to use the CF method....yet.
    It works on the ATT version.
    any updates on this?? i wish i had known the 905v un rootable before i got it.