[APP][Root][7.0+]RunInBackgroundSetter v1.4 :: [25.07.2017]

Search This thread

MrBIMC

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 30, 2012
Chernihiv
Few hours ago @explainAndroid posted article on xda main page onto how to use android's hidden RUN_IN_BACKGROUND permission to restrict app's background behavior. I made an app for that.

Here's link to original article: https://www.xda-developers.com/freeze-app-background-processes-without-root-android-nougat/
Here's link to app's github: https://github.com/MrBIMC/RunInBackgroundPermissionSetter
Here's link to reddit thread about app: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/co...en_run_in_background/?st=j570s1rf&sh=675cc4d6
Here's link to xda labs: https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/com.pavelsikun.runinbackgroundpermissionsetter

Last edited:

thisisarjun

Jan 17, 2015
Can u make the app work without rooting, just using adb, where the permission through adb for this app is granted once and then it can be used to limit background permission of other apps

Reactions: koyari

dnle71

Nov 9, 2011
I will try to test this out! Though, I kinda like the old icon compared to the new one, it seems like it's not properly cropped. Additionally, could you add an option to show system and user apps only? Maybe a toggle to ignore apps all at once or vice versa too?

Mattwmaster58

May 9, 2016
Ontario
Can u make the app work without rooting, just using adb, where the permission through adb for this app is granted once and then it can be used to limit background permission of other apps

No.

From the Github page:
Anyway, this app is for those who don't want to mess with adb shell and input commands manually and prefer to just click on app name to enable/disable it from running in the background. Sadly, android apps are not allowed to implicitly edit permissions of other apps, so this application requires root to overcome it.

No chance for Marshmallow?

No.

From the Github page:
Anyway, this app is for those, who don't want to mess with adb shell and input commands manually and prefer to just click on app name to enable/disable it from running in the background. Sadly, android apps are not allowed to implicitely edit permissions of other apps, so this application requires root to overcome it.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Doctor04

neonixxx

May 17, 2010
@MrBIMC
Thanks for the app!!
Is possible add hours of the days of week when selected apps run or doent run in background?
This would be really cool. Best way to implement that I think would be to add Tasker plugin functionality to the app to allow Tasker flows to toggle the permission, which would have the benefit of being able to change it for any reason (such as low battery).

As someone is undoubtedly going to ask it, I'll ask it for them. How does this differentiate to apps like greenify @MrBIMC? Do they both limit background processes? Anyways, the all looks very interesting, thanks!
If I understand both correctly... Greenify forces apps to hibernate when you turn your screen off (or manually tell it to), but the app can still wake itself back up for a variety of reasons, such as receiving push notifications, location updates, or any other unnecessary reason like Facebook, lol. This app overrides a hidden permission in Android 7+ that tells the system to not allow the app to run in the background, which means it will not be able to wake itself up.

Jakub_Z.

Jul 2, 2013
Wow. Looks promising. I was too lazy to run ADB manually xD
So lets see if I can screw something up with disabling almost everything :D

dimm0k

Jan 25, 2014
Google Pixel 4 XL
This would be really cool. Best way to implement that I think would be to add Tasker plugin functionality to the app to allow Tasker flows to toggle the permission, which would have the benefit of being able to change it for any reason (such as low battery).

If I understand both correctly... Greenify forces apps to hibernate when you turn your screen off (or manually tell it to), but the app can still wake itself back up for a variety of reasons, such as receiving push notifications, location updates, or any other unnecessary reason like Facebook, lol. This app overrides a hidden permission in Android 7+ that tells the system to not allow the app to run in the background, which means it will not be able to wake itself up.

thanks, makes sense about Greenify... do you or anyone know the difference between this and Brevent?

neonixxx

May 17, 2010
thanks, makes sense about Greenify... do you or anyone know the difference between this and Brevent?
I actually tried Brevent for the first time a few weeks ago. According to the app itself, aside from not requiring root, it's supposed to monitor when you hit the back button or remove an app from recents, and then actually kill the app process when you do, despite if the app has some background process that it intended to keep running. Basically lets you manually control when an app is killed in a quick and intuitive way, but for me personally, it didn't seem to work as expected for some reason; background processes seemed to keep running after.

Also Brevent, being a non-root solution requires you to connect the device to a PC and run some ADB commands to give it permission every time you reboot. It has an experimental root mode that doesn't require this.

Reactions: dimm0k

Top Liked Posts