[i9003][Linux][root][XXKPQ] Linux guide for rooting/upgrading

Search This thread

symbal

Feb 14, 2012
Hong Kong
I wrote this guide as information for us linux users is quite thin on the ground when it comes to rooting the Samsung GT-I9003! The whole process is very simple, no need for Odin, no need to find a heimdall package. :p

It may be quite a few steps but, it is very simple! For more background reading I will provide a brief appendix at the end of this post; if you want to know more than provided, there is a multitude of information available on this forum.

Important note
  • Do not unplug your phone at any point until guided
  • Don't deviate from this guide unless you have a problem, even then ask first
  • Do not click Repartition!!!

Pre-requisites
Before you root or even put your phone in download mode, go and download the following. Credit is due where neccessary, so I won't attach the files in this thread, rather point you to other peoples hard work.
KUDOS to you all :eek:

Only 3 things needed, cool huh :cool: On with the show.

1) Put your phone in to download mode. Do this by turning it off, hold <volume down> and <home> then power on whilst still holding the mentioned keys
2) You should have a little android telling you not to turn off the target. Connect your phone to the computer
3) From within the Heimdall frontend, go to the utilities tab
4) Look at this screenshot
2hnmfz5.png

5) Click Detect (1) to check connection between your computer and phone.
6) If your computer has a connection, click Save As... (2) and choose a location to save your PIT file.
7) The Download (3) button should have become active. Click it and wait until the operation is finished
8) Extract the contents of the ROM. The scenario below will use the XXKPQ ROM downloaded from the epic thread
  • The ROM will start off as a .zip file, extract this
  • The result will be another compressed file named something like 'I9003XXKPQ_I9003XXKPQ_I9003SERKPQ_HOME.tar.md5'
  • Extract the contents of this file to produce the files you need to flash from Heimdall, see the screenshot below
11jte6r.png

9) Within the Heimdall frontend, navigate to the flash tab.
10) Look at this screenshot
vrzjmr.png
[/IMG]
11) Click Browse (1) and select the PIT file you download from your phone in step 7
12) The Add (2) button should become active. Click add
13) The drop down field labelled Partition Name (3) should become active. Select one of the file types you extracted in step 8. Don't worry that there will be more than you have
14) Click the Browse (4) button and select the file name that matches the type you chose.
15) Repeat steps 12-14 for all the files you extracted from the ROM
16) Take a breath, this is the nerve racking part ;)
17) Click Start (5)
18) Both the PC and phone will become active, watch and wait until it says operation complete
19) After the operation is complete, your phone will reboot. It will take a lot longer than normal so go make a cup of tea
20) When the phone is up and running, do your base set up and power off.
21) Go back in to download mode as explained in steps 1 and 2.
22) Extract the contents of Amit Bagaria's Kernel
22) Type the following
Code:
heimdall flash --normal-boot [I]/home/rooted/[/I]normalboot.img
/home/rooted/ directory to where you extracted the kernel
23) Let the operation finish
24) Jump for joy

I hope you found this guide quite easy to read and more to the point, now have a rooted and up to date phone. There are many more enhancements to make but, I'll let you find those answers. This post is my first post and supposed to be a simple guide after all, no need to confuse people.

If you have any problems, please do ask and I will try to answer any queries or point you in the right direction to the best of my abilities.

Peace :D

Appendix
  • PIT - Partition Index Table. Simply a map of your disk
  • ROM - Read Only Memory. A program you can't change by default
  • CWM5 - Clock Work Mod. A recovery mode that allows you to do some nifty things with your phone later
  • Kernel - The heart of your operating system

Last edited:

ggclanlord

Feb 11, 2011
Thanks a ton man. Not many Linux users around so sometimes becomes tough to find help.

Anyway, we have to extract the rom, and flash all the items extracted tk flash a rom? Like system.rfs, etc?

symbal

Feb 14, 2012
Hong Kong
I have updated the main post to include these directions

In terms of extracting the ROM, I meant the ROM a person would download from the epic thread such as "I9003XXKPQ" indeed. Using that ROM as an example, you download a zip which extracts to:
Code:
I9003XXKPQ_I9003XXKPQ_I9003SERKPQ_HOME.tar.md5
That file again needs to be extract, it is at this point you end up with the individual files:
  • boot.bin
  • cache.rfs
  • modem.bin
  • normalboot.img
  • param.lfs
  • Sbl.bin
  • system.rfs
I will try to edit the thread and explain this step further. I hope this helps, peace:)

Last edited:

ggclanlord

Feb 11, 2011
I have updated the main post to include these directions

In terms of extracting the ROM, I meant the ROM a person would download from the epic thread such as "I9003XXKPQ" indeed. Using that ROM as an example, you download a zip which extracts to:
Code:
I9003XXKPQ_I9003XXKPQ_I9003SERKPQ_HOME.tar.md5
That file again needs to be extract, it is at this point you end up with the individual files:
  • boot.bin
  • cache.rfs
  • modem.bin
  • normalboot.img
  • param.lfs
  • Sbl.bin
  • system.rfs
I will try to edit the thread and explain this step further. I hope this helps, peace:)

Got it! Thanks man (would click later when i log in from linux)
Peace

ganeshbiyer

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 16, 2011
Bangalore
Did a successful flash of xxkpe + ddkp3 + uc kernel.
Later on flashed miui v8.5

Thanks for the tutorial.

This was the only thing for which I was using windows. So bye bye windows for time being, until something else comes up.

Last edited:

Preethi.py

Oct 28, 2013
Boot image from Amit is causing reboot again and again

Hello,

The procedure description is awsome and I had very minimal issues. Unfortunately, when i tried with the normalboot.img from Amit, my samsung Galaxy I9003 just hung while booting. After a while it just booted and booted again and I just reverted back with the first two procedures.
Can you tell me how I can get the Amit's image on my phone.

Thanks,
Preethi

Kyzar

Dec 15, 2013
Karachi
I can't get ROOT

Firstly, I wanted to thank you for the help from this tutorial. I followed all the steps mentioned and everything went fine.
But I'm not able to get ROOT. Applications like SuperSU say ROOT not detected. Could you help me out with this?

symbal

Feb 14, 2012
Hong Kong
Firstly, I wanted to thank you for the help from this tutorial. I followed all the steps mentioned and everything went fine.
But I'm not able to get ROOT. Applications like SuperSU say ROOT not detected. Could you help me out with this?

May I ask what version of Android you are trying to install? The CF-Root I linked to in the tutorial is for ROMs based on Gingerbread only. If you let me know what version you are trying to install, I'll help you out.

Kind regards

mohamed1963

Nov 17, 2013
thanks for every thing , but how i can restock the device usig heimdall becuase the download mode does not work with odin :eek:

symbal

Feb 14, 2012
Hong Kong
thanks for every thing , but how i can restock the device usig heimdall becuase the download mode does not work with odin :eek:

Hi there and sorry to any of the questions I didn't answer; I've moved a few phones on from this since then and haven't checked in on this thread; however...

Heimdall and Odin effect do exactly the same thing. The difference is that Odin is the official Samsung service centre app and Heimdall is the reverse engineering efforts of one man.

To try and answer your question, all you will need to go back to stock using Heimdall is one of the firmware files from the thread that can be found at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=12310841#post12310841 and a PIT file. Read further up this thread for information on PIT files if needs be.

• Download the aforementioned files
  • Extract them to a directory of your choice
  • Enter download mode
  • Flash the files either through the Heimdall GUI (as described above or use the command line)
  • Wait for the files to transfer, Android to reboot and boot up
  • You should now be on stock

If you chose the command line route:, from your working directory, use a command similar to the following:
Code:
heimdall flash --primary-boot boot.bin --cache cache.rfs --dbdata dbdata.rfs --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --pit gt-p1000_mr.pit  --modem modem.bin --param param.lfs --secondary-boot Sbl.bin --kernel zImage

Change the parameters above dependant on what files are available; the only real mandatory part of the command is shown below but, this will do nothing
Code:
heimdall flash

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wrote this guide as information for us linux users is quite thin on the ground when it comes to rooting the Samsung GT-I9003! The whole process is very simple, no need for Odin, no need to find a heimdall package. :p

It may be quite a few steps but, it is very simple! For more background reading I will provide a brief appendix at the end of this post; if you want to know more than provided, there is a multitude of information available on this forum.

Important note
    • Do not unplug your phone at any point until guided
    • Don't deviate from this guide unless you have a problem, even then ask first
    • Do not click Repartition!!!

Pre-requisites
    Before you root or even put your phone in download mode, go and download the following. Credit is due where neccessary, so I won't attach the files in this thread, rather point you to other peoples hard work.
    KUDOS to you all :eek:

Only 3 things needed, cool huh :cool: On with the show.

1) Put your phone in to download mode. Do this by turning it off, hold <volume down> and <home> then power on whilst still holding the mentioned keys
    2) You should have a little android telling you not to turn off the target. Connect your phone to the computer
    3) From within the Heimdall frontend, go to the utilities tab
    4) Look at this screenshot
    2hnmfz5.png

5) Click Detect (1) to check connection between your computer and phone.
    6) If your computer has a connection, click Save As... (2) and choose a location to save your PIT file.
    7) The Download (3) button should have become active. Click it and wait until the operation is finished
    8) Extract the contents of the ROM. The scenario below will use the XXKPQ ROM downloaded from the epic thread
    • The ROM will start off as a .zip file, extract this
    • The result will be another compressed file named something like 'I9003XXKPQ_I9003XXKPQ_I9003SERKPQ_HOME.tar.md5'
    • Extract the contents of this file to produce the files you need to flash from Heimdall, see the screenshot below
    11jte6r.png

9) Within the Heimdall frontend, navigate to the flash tab.
    10) Look at this screenshot
    vrzjmr.png
    [/IMG]
    11) Click Browse (1) and select the PIT file you download from your phone in step 7
    12) The Add (2) button should become active. Click add
    13) The drop down field labelled Partition Name (3) should become active. Select one of the file types you extracted in step 8. Don't worry that there will be more than you have
    14) Click the Browse (4) button and select the file name that matches the type you chose.
    15) Repeat steps 12-14 for all the files you extracted from the ROM
    16) Take a breath, this is the nerve racking part ;)
    17) Click Start (5)
    18) Both the PC and phone will become active, watch and wait until it says operation complete
    19) After the operation is complete, your phone will reboot. It will take a lot longer than normal so go make a cup of tea
    20) When the phone is up and running, do your base set up and power off.
    21) Go back in to download mode as explained in steps 1 and 2.
    22) Extract the contents of Amit Bagaria's Kernel
    22) Type the following
    Code:
    heimdall flash --normal-boot [I]/home/rooted/[/I]normalboot.img
    /home/rooted/ directory to where you extracted the kernel
    23) Let the operation finish
    24) Jump for joy

I hope you found this guide quite easy to read and more to the point, now have a rooted and up to date phone. There are many more enhancements to make but, I'll let you find those answers. This post is my first post and supposed to be a simple guide after all, no need to confuse people.

If you have any problems, please do ask and I will try to answer any queries or point you in the right direction to the best of my abilities.

Peace :D

Appendix
    • PIT - Partition Index Table. Simply a map of your disk
    • ROM - Read Only Memory. A program you can't change by default
    • CWM5 - Clock Work Mod. A recovery mode that allows you to do some nifty things with your phone later
    • Kernel - The heart of your operating system