[Guide] How to root Stock ICS rom without binary count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

deathst

Dec 24, 2009
Singapore
I'm no longer providing support for this thread due to time constrains with school, thank you for your support and it been nice sharing this method with you all. I may be gone but this method has still been reported as working, but it is possible that the next updates pushed to your phone might break the rooting and this method might not work anymore. But there is no harm in trying, at most you get an error in recovery saying file is invalid.

This method works on the released ICS rom from Germany and I would expect it to work for the rest of the ICS roms due for release..

This method does not increase the binary counter or causes a yellow exclamation mark ;)

Update :
Due to rising numbers of phone being bricked based on rumors and stuff, I strongly suggest NOT trying to use any nandroid backup or restore on this CWM and it is best we keep CWM out of our devices to do major I/O stuff. So far I have never seen anyone bricked their devices on this small rooting/unrooting process but JUST DO NOT MAKE BACKUPS OR RESTORES!

Rooting
  1. Download the Files first and put in your EXTERNAL SD
  2. Reboot to stock recovery. - Shutdown your device completely, press and hold Vol Up + Power button + Home, releasing the power buttons once you see the Samsung GALAXY Note N7000 screen but continue to hold the Vol Up and Power buttons still until you enter recovery
  3. Choose apply update from external storage. - Touch the screen as if you are using the phone to choose the options.
  4. Choose CWM.zip and wait until CWM recovery appear.
    ( From this point on, the volume rockers and power buttons do not work! It is now a Touch interface like how you use the phone normally )
  5. Choose install zip from external SD
  6. Choose and Install SU-Busybox-Installer.zip
  7. Reboot
  8. You are done and now your device is Rooted

Unroot
  1. Download this File first and put in your EXTERNAL SD
  2. Reboot to recovery.- Shutdown your device completely, press and hold Vol Up + Power button + Home, releasing the power buttons once you see the Samsung GALAXY Note N7000 screen but continue to hold the Vol Up and Power buttons still until you enter recovery
  3. Choose apply update from external storage.- Touch the screen as if you are using the phone to choose the options
    ( From this point on, the volume rockers and power buttons do not work! It is now a Touch interface like how you use the phone normally )
  5. Choose install zip from External SD
  6. Choose and Install SU-Uninstaller-Signed.zip
  7. Reboot
  8. You are done and now your device is Unrooted

Partial Root
Alright i managed to obtain partial root myself and a fix for the Partial root is quite simple. You can install SuperSU by Chainfire and update the root. would fix the Partial root. Once you install this.. DO NOT USE the Superuser app and DO NOT uninstall the SuperUser app. Use SuperSU from now.

SuperSU - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu&hl=en

MOD Edit: cwm.zip removed from the attachments, read Entropy512's post.

Attachments

• SU-Busybox-Installer.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 87,790
  • SU-Uninstaller-signed.zip
    241.4 KB · Views: 44,705
Last edited by a moderator:

KaliKot

Sep 15, 2010
Thanks, but does this install CWM as well? id like to know so that I can go straight to flashing roms from it

akenis

Dec 22, 2007
Google Pixel 6
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Got a brand new Note in the box here.....

Trying to get things straight. Seems like I have two options now for rooted official ICS.

1. This method. Update official ICS Via PC odin (no binary counter, ect) and then follow above instructions.

2. Root stock gb via old method (not sure what that is yet) and then use the mobile odin proceedures w/ new ICS CF kernel?

Is the end result gonna be the same?

Bonus question for noob: what is binary counter and red triangle/exclamation point?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

Reactions: syza and ZeCoder

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Yeah it looks like it, but since it actually works i can't see why that would be a bad thing. But i would give the original author credits in the first post; that is if you copied it.

matius44

Feb 24, 2011
Sunderland

Trying to get things straight. Seems like I have two options now for rooted official ICS.

1. This method. Update official ICS Via PC odin (no binary counter, ect) and then follow above instructions.

2. Root stock gb via old method (not sure what that is yet) and then use the mobile odin proceedures w/ new ICS CF kernel?

Bonus question for noob: what is binary counter and red triangle/exclamation point?

Yes you will end up with the same result if you take either one of the 2 ways to root

Binary counter is a Samsung measurement of how many times you flashed custom firmwares using PC Odin, and the yellow (not red ;)) triangle is just a logo to further show that you indeed flashed custom firmware

However, the binary counter will not increase (and therefore no yellow triangle will appear) if you:

1. Flash stock firmware with PC Odin
2. Flash using Mobile Odin app by ChainfireXDA
3. Flash using CWM recovery

panhavuth

Nov 29, 2007
Phnom penh
I got binary counted to 1 with yellow triangle after flashing ics stock from alba.can i use this method to erase counter and triangle?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Drat?

I didn't have GB root because my previous version had root, but I $%*^ screwed
up and let KIES update it to 2.3.6 and I've got too much work to screw around with back flashing wiping etc.
I went ahead and let kies update to ics, now, my question, will this method work, or will I still have to go though all the other to get it to work.
I see it works on stock ICS, but is that after kies, or after you update via pc odin?

deathst

Dec 24, 2009
Singapore
Did you just copy this thread?

Oh well. No harm done I guess. Of course it works. It's a method for all android phones. Temporary cwm so you can copy busybox to /system.

Yeah it looks like it, but since it actually works i can't see why that would be a bad thing. But i would give the original author credits in the first post; that is if you copied it.

Not many ways to have a drastic difference from the method but hey it works well.

I didn't have GB root because my previous version had root, but I $%*^ screwed
up and let KIES update it to 2.3.6 and I've got too much work to screw around with back flashing wiping etc.
I went ahead and let kies update to ics, now, my question, will this method work, or will I still have to go though all the other to get it to work.
I see it works on stock ICS, but is that after kies, or after you update via pc odin?

This method works as long as you are on Stock ICS.. Can't really go wrong really.

Reactions: p51d007

nandihno

Jul 22, 2010
Brisbane
so i did and have root and root works..
now my question is....

given that we get temp CWM..can i use the temp CWM to flash radios?

AND so if i want to flash LP6 radio via CWM will the steps be.

load Stock recovery
flash CWM.zip in stock recovery
load CWM
flash lp6 radio

will that work?
=============================
After no one answered i took the plunge...
Yes

so can confirm that the above procedure will work :)

PS: Am amazed how this is not in the sticky
Can anyone tell me any issues with using the CWM offered in this thread??? as in any issues with flashing other roms?? etc??
I fail to see?

The only issue is that CWM is not permanent but u can easily re-enable it by flashing it again...
again..dont understand why ppl are not paying attention to this thread as is great! :D

Last edited:

deathst

Dec 24, 2009
Singapore
how come i only got partial root? i cannot paste into system

Try rooting again.. Are you sure your file manager app was given permission? Cause this thing is practically fool proof.

so i did and have root and root works..
now my question is....

given that we get temp CWM..can i use the temp CWM to flash radios?

AND so if i want to flash LP6 radio via CWM will the steps be.

load Stock recovery
flash CWM.zip in stock recovery
load CWM
flash lp6 radio

will that work?
=============================
After no one answered i took the plunge...
Yes

so can confirm that the above procedure will work :)

PS: Am amazed how this is not in the sticky
Can anyone tell me any issues with using the CWM offered in this thread??? as in any issues with flashing other roms?? etc??
I fail to see?

The only issue is that CWM is not permanent but u can easily re-enable it by flashing it again...
again..dont understand why ppl are not paying attention to this thread as is great! :D
Glad it works for you:) Yes I wonder why is not many people taking notice.. :S

Last edited:

praetorius

Feb 3, 2012
hmmm.... didn't work for me. CWM looks for update.zip so i renamed it as such. installed and rebooted to CWMR, no touch menu. same old blue colored menu. install su-binary, stuck at unmounting /system = not rooted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm no longer providing support for this thread due to time constrains with school, thank you for your support and it been nice sharing this method with you all. I may be gone but this method has still been reported as working, but it is possible that the next updates pushed to your phone might break the rooting and this method might not work anymore. But there is no harm in trying, at most you get an error in recovery saying file is invalid.

This method works on the released ICS rom from Germany and I would expect it to work for the rest of the ICS roms due for release..

This method does not increase the binary counter or causes a yellow exclamation mark ;)

Update :
    Due to rising numbers of phone being bricked based on rumors and stuff, I strongly suggest NOT trying to use any nandroid backup or restore on this CWM and it is best we keep CWM out of our devices to do major I/O stuff. So far I have never seen anyone bricked their devices on this small rooting/unrooting process but JUST DO NOT MAKE BACKUPS OR RESTORES!

Rooting
    1. Download the Files first and put in your EXTERNAL SD
    2. Reboot to stock recovery. - Shutdown your device completely, press and hold Vol Up + Power button + Home, releasing the power buttons once you see the Samsung GALAXY Note N7000 screen but continue to hold the Vol Up and Power buttons still until you enter recovery
    3. Choose apply update from external storage. - Touch the screen as if you are using the phone to choose the options.
    5. Choose install zip from external SD
    6. Choose and Install SU-Busybox-Installer.zip
    7. Reboot
    8. You are done and now your device is Rooted

Unroot
    1. Download this File first and put in your EXTERNAL SD
    2. Reboot to recovery.- Shutdown your device completely, press and hold Vol Up + Power button + Home, releasing the power buttons once you see the Samsung GALAXY Note N7000 screen but continue to hold the Vol Up and Power buttons still until you enter recovery
    3. Choose apply update from external storage.- Touch the screen as if you are using the phone to choose the options
    5. Choose install zip from External SD
    6. Choose and Install SU-Uninstaller-Signed.zip
    7. Reboot
    8. You are done and now your device is Unrooted

Partial Root
    Alright i managed to obtain partial root myself and a fix for the Partial root is quite simple. You can install SuperSU by Chainfire and update the root. would fix the Partial root. Once you install this.. DO NOT USE the Superuser app and DO NOT uninstall the SuperUser app. Use SuperSU from now.

SuperSU - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu&hl=en

MOD Edit: cwm.zip removed from the attachments, read Entropy512's post.
    are you sure this works ? can anyone confirm ?

Works perfectly. Just rooted stock ICS.

Yes you will end up with the same result if you take either one of the 2 ways to root

Binary counter is a Samsung measurement of how many times you flashed custom firmwares using PC Odin, and the yellow (not red ;)) triangle is just a logo to further show that you indeed flashed custom firmware

However, the binary counter will not increase (and therefore no yellow triangle will appear) if you:

1. Flash stock firmware with PC Odin
    2. Flash using Mobile Odin app by ChainfireXDA
    3. Flash using CWM recovery

Did you just copy this thread?

Oh well. No harm done I guess. Of course it works. It's a method for all android phones. Temporary cwm so you can copy busybox to /system.