Wanting to root new CAT S61

Search This thread

k46tank

Jul 15, 2010
Hello,

As the title says, I'm wanting to root my new CAT S61. Anyone managed to unlock the bootloader yet? I've played around with it but haven't had any luck so far.

Reactions: Codeplayer

Codeplayer

Aug 30, 2009
Tallinn
+1, Me too. Just started debating them on facebook, to maybe have some pressure on to unlock the bootloader the nice way. Until that I am ready to donate. I really miss htc sense, coming from 10-year htc spree.

Reactions: OperationA7X

k46tank

Jul 15, 2010
I have had a few email and chat exchanges with them but haven't made any progress in getting them to provide any help in unlocking the bootloader but I still have my fingers crossed. And yes, I miss htc sense also.......I didn't think I would. FYI, I downloaded Nova Launcher and I set to look much like sense.

Reactions: OperationA7X

luc1fer

Aug 19, 2010
I've also been on to their support team looking for assistance with this..... Massively unhelpful...
I asked them about possibilities of unlocking the bootloader (I usually void every warranty covering computer equipment I own within days of owning devices) and I was told along the lines of "No. This will void the warranty so we would not allow this on the device.".... Its MY device and MY warranty to void ffs!

Really gets on my tits the attitude they took.

Anyway, am thinking that unlocking the bootloader may end up like a long wait and a bit of a chore; however if anyone is able to get a dump of the stock image it would surely be possible to patch the image with Magisk then "fastboot flash" it back onto the Cat S61?

This should at least give SU access (for busybox and all that lovely stuff) as well as keeping all the FLIR/proprietary laser/VOC sensor stuff.

EDIT: I've got in touch with Bullitt Group directly instead of going through Cat, and am awaiting a reply from them regarding acquiring a factory image I can play around with... Hopefully they will be able to supply it to me!

Regarding unlocking the bootloader, I haven't tried myself yet (because I haven't got around to getting my laptop OS installed again... That's another story entirely involving bad decisions with Kali lol) but if you boot the phone into bootloader mode (power on the device by using either volume up or volume down and power button or the adb reboot bootloader command via USB). Then you may be able to use the fastboot flashing unlock command to unlock the bootloader...

Last edited:

Codeplayer

Aug 30, 2009
Tallinn
I really miss the sense freestyle themes, where there is no grid and you pick a theme with background image(can be changed) and stickers (just some themed icons with different sizes). Then you place your stickers and assign apps to them. I myself used an archtecure theme, where there were stickers varying feom minimalistic monopoly houses up to vertically big skyscrapers and horizontally long trains. For my gf I made nature theme with nice summer bliss and clouds, deers, rabbits, butterflies and birds. Its just so customizable. I hate being restricted to grids or standard sizes icons or their 2x, 4x and so on.

I have had a few email and chat exchanges with them but haven't made any progress in getting them to provide any help in unlocking the bootloader but I still have my fingers crossed. And yes, I miss htc sense also.......I didn't think I would. FYI, I downloaded Nova Launcher and I set to look much like sense.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

I just received a 130MB OTA, I hope it was not a security update, casting me out of the gang, when someone finds the cure for the older build. The build LTE_D0201121.0_S61_0.040.02 gave me Flir Youtube streaming option.

I've also been on to their support team looking for assistance with this..... Massively unhelpful...
I asked them about possibilities of unlocking the bootloader (I usually void every warranty covering computer equipment I own within days of owning devices) and I was told along the lines of "No. This will void the warranty so we would not allow this on the device.".... Its MY device and MY warranty to void ffs!

Really gets on my tits the attitude they took.

Anyway, am thinking that unlocking the bootloader may end up like a long wait and a bit of a chore; however if anyone is able to get a dump of the stock image it would surely be possible to patch the image with Magisk then "fastboot flash" it back onto the Cat S61?

This should at least give SU access (for busybox and all that lovely stuff) as well as keeping all the FLIR/proprietary laser/VOC sensor stuff.

EDIT: I've got in touch with Bullitt Group directly instead of going through Cat, and am awaiting a reply from them regarding acquiring a factory image I can play around with... Hopefully they will be able to supply it to me!

Regarding unlocking the bootloader, I haven't tried myself yet (because I haven't got around to getting my laptop OS installed again... That's another story entirely involving bad decisions with Kali lol) but if you boot the phone into bootloader mode (power on the device by using either volume up or volume down and power button or the adb reboot bootloader command via USB). Then you may be able to use the fastboot flashing unlock command to unlock the bootloader...

Last edited:

luc1fer

Aug 19, 2010
LTE_D0201121.0_S61_0.040.02 is the build I'm on as well, so don't worry too much... However I've been on this build since sometime in July, so don't know why you've only just got the OTA ?

Anyway, the other thought I have been having is trying to port across a custom recovery from the Motorola Moto X4. Same chipset, same RAM, same board and same screen resolution, so it just might work... Once I get hold of a flash dump and unlock the bootloader that is ? I'm getting a bit ahead of myself!

Codeplayer

Aug 30, 2009
Tallinn
Just received another OTA, September 1st patch, LTE_D0201121.0_S61_0.046.02. Radio is LTE_D0201121.1_S61 after the update. This one was larger, but I forgot to screenshot the exact changes and size.

james35888

Jul 9, 2010
LTE_D0201121.0_S61_0.040.02 is the build I'm on as well, so don't worry too much... However I've been on this build since sometime in July, so don't know why you've only just got the OTA ?

Anyway, the other thought I have been having is trying to port across a custom recovery from the Motorola Moto X4. Same chipset, same RAM, same board and same screen resolution, so it just might work... Once I get hold of a flash dump and unlock the bootloader that is I'm getting a bit ahead of myself!

Is any progress?
I am not a programmer, and can not help anything. Looking forward good news!!

ogghi

Jan 18, 2015
Hi there, also looking forward for root, will hopefully get the phone end of the year...

luc1fer

Aug 19, 2010
Nope, no luck as of yet... Nothing I seem to try is giving me any options or progress.

Rather frustrated carrying round 2 devices lol one for root apps and the s61 for everything else!

Still impressed at the phone though, VERY utilitarian!

ogghi

Jan 18, 2015
Hey there, I will get my S61 tomorrow.
Was hoping for any root idea, but will hopefully survive without until we have the privilege to get it :)

ogghi

Jan 18, 2015
Did not stumble upon such a function yet.
The most annoying thing without root is missing a good ad blocking. dns66 seems to work, but there are still plenty of ads in apps that get through...
Also having potentially all power unlocked would be great!

Knuxyl

May 20, 2009
Google Pixel 5
I've been looking at this phone for some time. I was able to get a Moto Z2 Force from Verizon into EDL mode with simple commands, so I'm wondering if you can unlock this bootloader just by telling it to unlock.
You would put the device into fastboot mode (by going to the bootloader, instructions were posted above i think), and then try some commands like this
fastboot flashing unlock
or
fastboot oem unlock
also check if in developer settings there is a toggle for Allow bootloader unlock or OEM unlock or w/e they call it.

if this works I highly suggest figuring out a way to grab the entire system to make a backup before you do anything. there's no twrp yet but it can't be too difficult to compile, but i dont have this $1000 waste of money to do any of this. i hope this post helps someone

Alias D

Dec 3, 2012

This doesn’t work since the boot loader is locked (stock boot loader has not been released on the web to my knowledge)

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

I've been looking at this phone for some time. I was able to get a Moto Z2 Force from Verizon into EDL mode with simple commands, so I'm wondering if you can unlock this bootloader just by telling it to unlock.
You would put the device into fastboot mode (by going to the bootloader, instructions were posted above i think), and then try some commands like this
fastboot flashing unlock
or
fastboot oem unlock
also check if in developer settings there is a toggle for Allow bootloader unlock or OEM unlock or w/e they call it.

if this works I highly suggest figuring out a way to grab the entire system to make a backup before you do anything. there's no twrp yet but it can't be too difficult to compile, but i dont have this $1000 waste of money to do any of this. i hope this post helps someone

Are these commands on a computer through ADB?

The only options I had on the phone were:
-Start
-Recovery Mode
-Restart Bootloader
-Power Off
-Boot to QMMI
-Boot to FFBM

groovie

Jan 13, 2006
Hi,

I looked a bit into the process of rooting on this device. It would be cool to get it rooted. I guess this process is in theory simple. But we should focus on the first problem:

Why is the option "OEM unlock" hidden in the developer Menu? Are there ways to make that option usable? If anyone has an idea how to make this option usable, we could get to the next step. Thanks to anyone who has an contribution.

Edit: some additional info

C:\adb\platform-tools>fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader) Verity mode: true
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
(bootloader) Device critical unlocked: false
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: true
OKAY [ 0.000s]
Finished. Total time: 0.000s

CatS61:/ $ getprop | grep oem
[ro.oem_unlock_supported]: [true]
[sys.oem_unlock_allowed]: [0]

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Firehose for Cat s61

I have it if someone with a s61 wants to try it out. What exactly would you do with it? Dump your boot image maybe? Let me know and I'll post it. Makes me wonder if one could patch boot with magisk and reflash the boot image. From what I understand, BL can be unlocked by patching a couple of bytes found in the devinfo image\partition. Hummmmm

I'll do it. Can you provide one for S62 Pro also? I would rather work on the latest one. This one has still some warranty to burn, but I would like to help with both to kickstart the development and maybe get our own thread once.
    Firehose for Cat s61

I have it if someone with a s61 wants to try it out. What exactly would you do with it? Dump your boot image maybe? Let me know and I'll post it. Makes me wonder if one could patch boot with magisk and reflash the boot image. From what I understand, BL can be unlocked by patching a couple of bytes found in the devinfo image\partition. Hummmmm

Anyway, the other thought I have been having is trying to port across a custom recovery from the Motorola Moto X4. Same chipset, same RAM, same board and same screen resolution, so it just might work... Once I get hold of a flash dump and unlock the bootloader that is ? I'm getting a bit ahead of myself!
    To enter bootloader:
    1.switch of your phone
    2.press volume down
    3.conect the power cable
    Nope, no luck as of yet... Nothing I seem to try is giving me any options or progress.

Rather frustrated carrying round 2 devices lol one for root apps and the s61 for everything else!

Still impressed at the phone though, VERY utilitarian!